Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What to look for when buying a teener
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jcambo7
So I am not looking currently to get a teenr but I just want to know everyones knowledge on finding a teener in good condition. You know what to look for and where at on the car itself. Like rust, body damage, and etc... Would appreciate the help so when I do go looking for one; I can know exactly where to look on the car and what to look for. drunk.gif
MDG
if you do a search (upper right of this screen) using your thread title as a search parameter, you'll find a ton of answers; many have asked.

common rust areas, battery area and engine shelf, longs, lower rear trunk and so on. Depending on what you're looking for have a look at what mods - if any - have been done. Is the original FI still there? Suspension, exhaust etc., etc. Some modifications are an improvement; some merely mask bigger problems

If you want to see examples of how far these can go search through some of the build threads; Fourblades and Jeff Hail's would be a good place to start though you may not be that adventurous

good luck
jcambo7
QUOTE(MDG @ Mar 9 2009, 12:30 PM) *

if you do a search (upper right of this screen) using your thread title as a search parameter, you'll find a ton of answers; many have asked.

common rust areas, battery area and engine shelf, longs, lower rear trunk and so on. Depending on what you're looking for have a look at what mods - if any - have been done. Is the original FI still there? Suspension, exhaust etc., etc. Some modifications are an improvement; some merely mask bigger problems

If you want to see examples of how far these can go search through some of the build threads; Fourblades and Jeff Hail's would be a good place to start though you may not be that adventurous

good luck

Thanks I will definitely look into those. beerchug.gif
Lavanaut
http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/How_to_buy_a_914.htm

...and don't gloss over this part, it's a very important consideration:

Before you start looking for a 914 to purchase, you should be sure to know what your overall goal is. Do you want a daily driver, a project car, a Concours car, or perhaps a weekend race car? Do you want a 4-cylinder (1.7,1.8, or 2.0) or a 6-cylinder (stock, or conversion). Once you know what you want, you can start the search process.

bye1.gif
PeeGreen 914
James, the best thing to do is look for the 914 that is as close to what you are wanting to do. Let the previous owners do all of you work for you. Find a car that is what you are wanting to go for and you will save thousands down the road. When you find a car that looks interesting get one of the locals that knows what they are looking at to check it out for you. These cars do rust in some of the weirdest places so you need to check it out all over. Just like on my car where behind the seat had made a hole I had to repair.
MDG
and if you really, really want to know how far things can go . . . check out veltror's 'British Rustoration' autopsy, er, build thread.

I stand in awe of this man's dedication. Not for the weak of heart.

jsayre914
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Mar 9 2009, 01:07 PM) *

So I am not looking currently to get a teenr but I just want to know everyones knowledge on finding a teener in good condition. You know what to look for and where at on the car itself. Like rust, body damage, and etc... Would appreciate the help so when I do go looking for one; I can know exactly where to look on the car and what to look for. drunk.gif

Always check inside the ashtray for handrolled cigerettes from the 70s

smoke.gif
PanelBilly
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Mar 9 2009, 10:56 AM) *

Just like on my car where behind the seat had made a hole I had to repair.

I think that hole behind your seat is also called a hat.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Mar 9 2009, 01:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Mar 9 2009, 10:56 AM) *

Just like on my car where behind the seat had made a hole I had to repair.

I think that hole behind your seat is also called a hat.

chair.gif av-943.gif
6freak
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Mar 9 2009, 10:07 AM) *

Start look`n for a good set of jack stand and a new set of metric tools av-943.gif
A&PGirl
Hi James it was nice meeting you this weekend. I'll definitely try to look into the three cars my dad and I mentioned to you.

Like I told you, battery area, rear psgr wheelwell, jack posts, obvious sagging, and floorpans. Sail panels area not as important, but you do need to replace them like the one on my dad's silver bullet.

I won't even mention one car I checked on a while ago that ran, but was about to break in half. icon8.gif
PeeGreen 914
Well there you go James. Looks like you have good local help. aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.