Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch Trouble
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rebelmdot
First and foremost, I have used the search function and did not come up with what I was looking for.

My car will not go into gear. I resurrected a car that had been sitting for 6 years. I drove it for a week and put 200 miles on it once running. On the way home on a Friday evening it started becoming very difficult to get into gear even with the clutch pedal to the floor, and ultimately would not go into gear at all. I am finally able to dedicate some time to fixing it and think after what I have read, that it is the clutch cable, the clutch tube breaking loose, or it may even need a new clutch as I do not know the condition that this one was in when it was parked and 6 years of sitting could not have been good for it. What is the best way to diagnose?

If you have a thread, a link to a thread, or suggestions on how to use the search function to get to a useful thread, I would appreciate it. I am sure that there are many on each of these, so if there is a favorite or one that would be most useful for a newbie mechanic, once again, I appreciate any input.
jhadler
Can you cycle through the gears with the engine off?

If not, then you've got something sour in the gear box in the linkage.

-Josh2
blitZ
Maybe obvious, but did you try adjusting the clutch? The nut on the cable will back out if there is not a second locking nut.
Cevan
Have you checked the two cone screws on either end of the rearmost shift rod?
Bartlett 914
Another possibility is the clutch tube in the tunnel may have broken loose. This repair will require some cutting and welding but is is not too difficult of a job. There are lots of posts about this problem
CliffBraun
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Mar 9 2009, 02:51 PM) *

Another possibility is the clutch tube in the tunnel may have broken loose. This repair will require some cutting and welding but is is not too difficult of a job. There are lots of posts about this problem

I had this issue, it manifested as an intermittent gear crunchiness. I don't know if that alone is enough to cause this issue as my clutch was adjusted waaay loose and it still would shift fine except motor running at stop. Incidentally, my clutch tube repair consists of a hose clamp around the shifter and through a small slot cut in the tunnel. It's never going to break like rewelding will and I didn't have to cut open my tunnel. I can take a pic if anyone cares.
Heeltoe914
Pixs I care??
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cevan @ Mar 9 2009, 12:33 PM) *

agree.gif
Check the cone screws first!

If they come lose, you won't be able to get her in gear ...
bye1.gif Andy
rebelmdot
Thanks everyone, I will check the cone screws first. I can cycle through gears with car off if that matters.

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 9 2009, 10:59 PM) *

QUOTE(Cevan @ Mar 9 2009, 12:33 PM) *

agree.gif
Check the cone screws first!

If they come lose, you won't be able to get her in gear ...
bye1.gif Andy

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.