Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: align boring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mightyohm
I took my case to a machinist today, and he stuck a bearing into the center saddle and immediately said "this needs line boring". His method of checking is to see how easily the bearing drops into place. It dropped right into the center saddle.

He said he can get bearings.

How popular is align boring right now?

I see two opinions in the forums - A. No, find another case. B. Yes, 75% of cases need it now anyway.

Oh and then Jake talks about main bearing saddles collapsing which scares me even more. wacko.gif

Should I take the case to someone who will actually mike it once it's torqued together?
Brad Roberts
Your machinist has more experience with T4's than most people. I would trust his judgement. He is not one to "stick" people with un-needed machine work to make money.

Finding another good case is not real easy. Kind of like finding early good 2.0 heads.

B
KenH
There is nothing wrong with line boring the case.

Bearings are easy to get right now so getting them is not a problem.

Might consider getting an extra set. Last year there were none to be had.

Call Don at EBS Racing for bearing pricing.

Ken
mightyohm
Understood, Brad. I have two more cases in my possesion. The other 2 liter case has visibly beat up saddles and will probably need bored regardless. I have a 1.7 case that is still holding a spare engine together. I don't really want to pull it apart.

I would feel better if someone miked it for me but that probably means waiting 6 weeks for the other shop to do it.

These guys are fast, my rods will be done this week. I hope they come out ok because it will be difficult for me to check them.
Jake Raby
80% of my cases get it these days.... Just make sure he does it with a Rottler and measures the bearings and crush correctly before he sets the cutters...
mightyohm
Jake - Ok will do.

I am not sure which crush you are referring to. Do you mean the carbon paper test on the saddle where the case meets that you talked about on STF?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.