Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I cant find any gears
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turnaround89
So i have read and reread all of the shifter linkage adjustment threads and i still can't find any of my gears. I pulled the motor and trans to fix the hell hole and now everything is back together and new bushings everywhere. It is a tailshifter, my question is is the only adjustment made in the shift linkage at the collar on the L shaped shift rod or are there other places to adjust the linkage? At the back of the trans the shift fork is what i believe to be in neutral.

I have been adjusting and adjusting. The only gear i have been able to find was first and nothing after that. Do i push the shifter all the way to the left(like going into first) and then clamp the two rods together via the collar?

Please help!!!
13b914
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Mar 10 2009, 10:44 PM) *

So i have read and reread all of the shifter linkage adjustment threads and i still can't find any of my gears. I pulled the motor and trans to fix the hell hole and now everything is back together and new bushings everywhere. It is a tailshifter, my question is is the only adjustment made in the shift linkage at the collar on the L shaped shift rod or are there other places to adjust the linkage? At the back of the trans the shift fork is what i believe to be in neutral.

I have been adjusting and adjusting. The only gear i have been able to find was first and nothing after that. Do i push the shifter all the way to the left(like going into first) and then clamp the two rods together via the collar?

Please help!!!

Did you make sure the pinch bolt was tight where the rod connects to the shifter assembly. I was just talking to a buddy of mine that said his pich bolt came loose and he couldn't get his in any gear. Just a thought
southernmost914
Can you shift into gears at the transmission?
biggrin.gif
Steve
turnaround89
I figured out part of my problem, the car was in neutral at the shifter, but second at the trans. For starters the first splined rod was not far enough into the second L shaped linkage rod. I pushed it in a good ways and found Reverse and Second, however, it won't go into third and i have no 4th or 5th. When i try for 4th, the shifter seems to just not want to go over that far, like it just plan stops. I think i can get first but no third. To get third, i think i need to get the first shift rod a little further into the L shaped one and then tighten the collar bolt. Don't know about 4 and 5?

this has nothing to do with the shifter setup, but made my day much better. My throttle cable broke, one more thing to fix, i guess. is there some sort of white sheath inside the metal tube that the cable runs through, if so, how do i get that out?
GaroldShaffer
If you can't get 4th & 5th check to see if the clutch tube were the clutch cable runs through hasn't broken loose. It has three spot welds: rear, middle ish, and front. With the shift boot off look in the opening of the shifter and push in the clutch. If you see the metal tude in there move left that is part of your problem.
turnaround89
I can see a bunch of tubes through the rear access panel hole near the firewall and none of them move while the clutch is depressed, i will look at the front in the morning to see if it moves further up, but i don't think the clutch tube is broken
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.