Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What about a 1807 cc ? 90x71
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johannes
Would it be possible to build a 1807 cc using a 71 crank to improve a 66x90 1.7 engine ?
I was always told that stroke matters. You could also keep your 1.7 heads ...
Wouldn't it be the cheapest way to improve a 1.7 ?

Are rods available for such an engine ?
914Sixer
Won't work because of the difference in rod offset I think.
type47
Two things come to my mind. To the best of my knowledge, the size of the journal, that is, the part of the crankshaft that the "big end" of the connecting rod attaches to, is a different size for the 2 different crankshafts. That could be solved by using 2.0 L rods (maybe, I don't know if there are other issues). Then, the increased stroke affects the piston position at top dead center (TDC) so with the increased stroke, might (I hope the Cap'n will put things correct) make the piston top stick out of the top of the cylinder. But that could be solved too ........ somehow....... Cap'n?

I said, "to the best of my knowledge...." idea.gif

I like your idea though. I've never heard of the combo and could make use of alot of engines that are disregarded since they are "only 1.7's"
johannes
I remember Jake speaking about an improved 1.7 using type 1 rods but I can't find the post.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.