Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tach drops in RPM with brake pedal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxstr
Okay I cannot for the life of me remember what the problem is???
Seems like I have run across this before.

Step on the brake pedal and the RPM on the tach needle drops? Severe volt drop when brakes are applied and or the lights are turned on.

southernmost914
"Tach drops in RPM with brake pedal"

Press in the clutch. av-943.gif av-943.gif

I had the same problem when the main ground behind the fuse block worked loose. bye1.gif

Steve
6freak
Yes bad ground
surfcity914
Can someone please post pictures or describe exactly where the ground points to be checked are located? Thanks.
southernmost914
QUOTE(surfcity914 @ Mar 12 2009, 01:28 PM) *

Can someone please post pictures or describe exactly where the ground points to be checked are located? Thanks.

Start with these:
Front fender wells behind headlights. Left and right.
Behind fuse block under dash.
Next to relay board in engine compartment.
Battery ground strap.
Transmission ground strap.

bye1.gif
Steve
rhodyguy
occurs when brakes are applied. i spoke with craig. something to do with the illumination system in the rear. i imagine a +wire was attached to a ground terminal. some shop told the owner that a new harness was required. wow.

k
pktzygt
QUOTE(boxstr @ Mar 12 2009, 01:25 AM) *

Step on the brake pedal and the RPM on the tach needle drops? Severe volt drop when brakes are applied and or the lights are turned on.

This problem isn't on the black '73 with the tan interior and riveras is it?
brp986s
When I had this symptom, fuse 9 would also blow. Unfortunately, about half the car's electrical system goes thru this fuse so there are many possibilities. Also, many of these things meet at the hazard switch. The way I tracked mine down was to put a fuse and ammeter in-line with the fuse 9 terminals. Then operate various controls (turn left...turn right...brake...etc) until hopefully you find something that pulls inordinate current or blows the fuse. If it's an intermittant short, it can be a real headbang.gif ....lotsa luck
SGB
I think maybe I would check the brake lights first too see if they are shorting when the brakes are applied...
JoeSharp
My 72 had a ground at the rear trunk latch. It screwed with the turn signals but I would check the grounds under the dash.
Borderline
I have the same problem plus the tach drops with the headlights turned on and also fluctuates with the turn signals. I've checked all the grounds I can find...please help us. headbang.gif
oldschool
QUOTE(boxstr @ Mar 11 2009, 10:25 PM) *

I had the same thing about to me also, and the generator light would go on also.
it was a bad fuse. play with the fuse box.
computers4kids
I've also seen the incorrect bulb in the brake lights/tailights do some amazingly weird things.
oldschool
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Mar 13 2009, 07:30 AM) *

I've also seen the incorrect bulb in the brake lights/tailights do some amazingly weird things.

so true that also happen to me.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(oldschool @ Mar 13 2009, 08:11 AM) *

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Mar 13 2009, 07:30 AM) *

so true that also happen to me.

agree.gif On of my techs did this to a customer vehicle once. It was so simple 6 guys in the shop couldn't figure it out. The customer came in with the suggestion... fixed! confused24.gif sorry.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.