Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can I get these in a Type IV?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dead Air
Click to view attachment
http://www.coatesengine.com/index.html

I think they're cool.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Dead Air @ Mar 13 2009, 07:37 AM) *

Interesting, but I'm not buying their claims. "It's quieter than an internal combustion engine"... WTF? It IS an internal combustion engine.

I just don't see how it can possibly flow very well.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Mar 13 2009, 08:53 AM) *

I just don't see how it can possibly flow very well.

Pressure through forced induction ...
shades.gif Andy
MBowman325
There was brief talk on these years (2005ish I think) ago on the MCML. Came down to a cost / benefit discussion if I remember right. Neat looking though, but for the cost at the time, there were other things money could be spent on to make the cars more efficient / faster.

(Don't see any mention on costs here, but seems like there were back then. Only slept three times since though... biggrin.gif )

Edit: http://web.archive.org/web/20071024144732/....com/coates.htm
Old article found - 15k base price tag associated - appears to be for a retrofitted engine in an article dated 10/1999
bryanc
I saw a similar system on a science tv show probably 12-15 years ago (I believe it was 'Beyond 2000').

It seems like a neat idea to reduce valve train loss, but the flow characteristics have got to be ugly.
turboman808
Probably lose some power because of air flow but will increase power from less drive train lose. Of course you also gain reliability in your motor overall.

If they make it for a type 4 or 911 motor I would try using them. Not to far from me either.
HAM Inc
I'd like to see a photo of the chamber side.

I'm doubtful. While not perfect, the poppet valve is tough, durable, forms a neutral chamber area (if not a dish valve), and when coupled in pairs to a pent roof chamber flows incredibly well and allows a centrally located spark plug. Loose a stem seal and the engine will just smoke. Loose a seal on a rotary valve engine and the damn thing won't even start! I suspect that the Coates valves are very susceptible to damage from dirty air. Better not forget to change the air filter!
All that said, I'm glad people are still trying things!
DEC
Hi Guys,
Please take a look....

Martin develops a 4 Valve DOHC Head for the Type IV

http://www.bugat5speed.de/cms/content/view/135/41/lang,en/
Katmanken
Ummm....

That's Martin partly develops.....

He still needs cams, belts and pulleys to make it go and that can be reeely fun....

Ken
charliew
Martin has had some neat stuff for a long time. He has a real purty short oil pan for the suby in a bug. It just didn't have the slosh gates I was wanting.

The last time I did any checking coates was selling stationary motors in canada.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.