Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New at CAMP, well almost...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxstr
1970 914-6 went to look at this nice clean 6 to help sell for the owner. I was ready to take it out to CAMP and I made a phone call, car sold 4 hours later. Never made it out to CAMP.
number6
QUOTE(boxstr @ Mar 14 2009, 04:48 PM) *

1970 914-6 went to look at this nice clean 6 to help sell for the owner. I was ready to take it out to CAMP and I made a phone call, car sold 4 hours later. Never made it out to CAMP.

Thanks a lot, Craig - it's not like I needed another 914! wink.gif

No, seriously, thank you for turning me onto the car. It is so nice and tight. Total joy to drive! The Gamroth-built 2.4 is sooo fun - I can't decide whether to stick w/ it or swap in the Patrick Motorsports 3.2 from my yellow car; I think my indecision really speaks volumes about the 2.4. The side-shift conversion is one of the best shifting I've experienced. And all the extra parts is just sweet icing on the cake!

Thank you again for telling me about this one!

Now, does anyone need a kidney?

-duc
jc914
Congrats on the buy beerchug.gif
rhodyguy
duc, step away from the checkbook. leave gamroth's engine in it. if his track car is an indicator it should be plenty fast.
Mr.242
Duc,

great car! I might need a visit to use yours as a template! Exactly what I want mine to llk like...except the rear reflector thingy!

Mark

WOW! Love the silver cars. aktion035.gif
number6
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 14 2009, 05:12 PM) *

duc, step away from the checkbook. leave gamroth's engine in it. if his track car is an indicator it should be plenty fast.

I hear ya, Kevin...but the 3.2's torque is sooo nice! And when pushed, you really do notice the power/torque difference (~215hp, 218ft lb vs ~150-160hp and I'm guessing 165-ish torque - will dyno both soon for baseline). Going from more to less isn't something most people would do by choice, I don't think, not in this power range. smile.gif The 3.2 can easily be upgraded, too, which is smart in the long run (you never know!). And if I ever go chipped DME or ITB/EFI, there'll be absolutely no comparison in terms of daily drivability/enjoyment. But, really, the main reason I'm contemplating the swap is that the engine is going to get dropped anyhow, as I'm planning a full repaint...not that the car absolutely "needs" it, but because I just want to make her really, really nice...because I'm particular like that...and I think it's worth it from an investment standpoint. This is a really nice example and deserves the extra treatment. It won't cost all that much, as my yellow car has mostly all new parts, ready to be swapped over. And I'm selling the yellow car to offset all this extra expense, so it all works out quite well. The main casualty is that my other planned restoration project will just have to go on hold for a few months.

Hey, did you receive the engine paperwork that I sent you awhile back? Just makin' sure...

-duc
number6
QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Mar 14 2009, 05:32 PM) *

Duc,

great car! I might need a visit to use yours as a template! Exactly what I want mine to llk like...except the rear reflector thingy!

Mark

WOW! Love the silver cars. aktion035.gif

Hi Mark. Yeah, the reflector's gotta go! smile.gif
Definitely, anytime you want to see/drive it, let me know.
I do like silver. White is still my fave, but silver is up there.
How are you liking the Triad and all the other goodies?

-duc
rhodyguy
i got the build sheet. thanks. the new car is swell looking. silver rocks.

k
number6
A few snaps taken when I got her home a couple hours ago...
number6
a few more...
carr914
Congrats Duc, and Welcome to the Real 914-6 Family

T.C.
number6
QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 14 2009, 05:55 PM) *

Congrats Duc, and Welcome to the Real 914-6 Family

T.C.

Thanks, T.C., and everyone for your kind words! I'm excited to get everything done over the new few months, in time for summer. As far as 914 projects go, this will be an easy one, so that's good. I'm not in a position (especially time-wise) to take on a serious undertaking.

T.C., I have the MFI for the 2.4. Do you think I should change over from carbs? Craig's advised me against this from a resale value standpoint, and I agree. But if I were to keep the 2.4 in the car, I think MFI would be so kick-*ss. Of course, the carburetors are really dialed in as-is, so I don't really want to mess around... Oh, when weather improves, I'll snap some photos of the door VIN/safety sticker for you, with a ruler held up, so you can confirm measurements already provided by others in your thread. How's the sticker replication coming for you?

-duc

(I actually bought a /6 3.2 project some years back in CA. Stored it at a friend's place for a few months, and before it was shipped up here, I got an offer I couldn't turn down. I guess that doesn't count, right? smile.gif )
914junkie
That looks like my friend Steves car, I didn't know he was selling it. confused24.gif Congratulations, have fun, it's a nice car. That Boxster behind it has a 996 motor in it! aktion035.gif
number6
QUOTE(914junkie @ Mar 14 2009, 06:43 PM) *

That looks like my friend Steves car, I didn't know he was selling it. confused24.gif Congratulations, have fun, it's a nice car. That Boxster behind it has a 996 motor in it! aktion035.gif

Yup, Steve's car. Doh! I forgot to ask him for a ride in the Boxster - I think he said it was 300-330hp, w/ the extra tweaks. Must be a heck of a ride.
burton73
-duc,

You guys drive your cars in the rain up North? LOL. Congratulations on the new to you 6, it looks great.

Bob
piratenanner.gif
boxstr
Actually the Boxster is mine. The other Boxster may also be for sale.
CCLINBOXSTR
number6
QUOTE(burton73 @ Mar 14 2009, 07:04 PM) *

-duc,

You guys drive your cars in the rain up North? LOL. Congratulations on the new to you 6, it looks great.

Bob
piratenanner.gif

Thanks, Bob. I drive my 914s whenever I can, rain, shine, snow, whatever. Just not ice. If it lessens the offense, I do POR15 all rust-prone, harshly-exposed surfaces smile.gif

Did the turn signal buckets arrive in good shape?

-duc
number6
QUOTE(boxstr @ Mar 14 2009, 07:05 PM) *

CCLINBOXSTR

Steve told me he was looking for around $20K for the Boxster. It was back from the detailer today - looked really good (from where I was standing). Black also.

He also has a clean, white Speedster replica for sale, if anyone is interested. $9.5K, IIRC.

Craig can connect you if you're interested.
914junkie
Oops, sorry, my bad, wrong black Boxster. I shoulda known, his has different wheels on it. Hope he's not selling all his Porsches. sad.gif I better give him a call.
JRust
QUOTE(number6 @ Mar 14 2009, 08:13 PM) *

QUOTE(boxstr @ Mar 14 2009, 07:05 PM) *

CCLINBOXSTR

Steve told me he was looking for around $20K for the Boxster. It was back from the detailer today - looked really good. Black also.

He also has a clean, white Speedster replica for sale, if anyone is interested. $9.5K, IIRC.

Craig can connect you if you're interested.

Dang! So much time. So little money dry.gif . Nice looking six aktion035.gif
number6
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 14 2009, 05:41 PM) *

i got the build sheet. thanks. the new car is swell looking. silver rocks.

k

Thanks, Kevin. How's your car coming along? Have you installed the engine yet, or are you still waiting for warmer weather?

-d
Rav914
Beautiful car. Congratulations.

You mentioned MFI....right now there's a complete 2.4 S MFI system for sale on the early911registry.org forum classifieds. Might be the ticket. It is, however, not cheap.

Again congrats, I like the silver too.
number6
QUOTE(Rav914 @ Mar 15 2009, 02:36 PM) *

Beautiful car. Congratulations.

You mentioned MFI....right now there's a complete 2.4 S MFI system for sale on the early911registry.org forum classifieds. Might be the ticket. It is, however, not cheap.

Again congrats, I like the silver too.

Thanks, Nate. The car came w/ the MFI setup, which is what made me consider the swap. I've always been in awe of the mechanical design of the MFI system - so purdy!

I looked over at the 911S Registry classifieds...$4500, wow! It is for an S (mine's from an E, I'm told)...and it does appear to be in pristine/restored condition. I'd love for the system to be worth that much, hopefully bringing up the value of the E setup as well. Guess I better dig around to see what these things are worth; it'd be great to be able to sell it to offset some of the other costs.

For that kind of money, for a daily driver, I think I'd rather go ITB/EFI, which is what I think I've decided to do for the car, with the 3.2.

Is anyone here looking for a Gamroth-built 2.4 with only ~6,000 miles on it? smile.gif

-duc
r_towle
QUOTE(number6 @ Mar 15 2009, 07:01 PM) *

Is anyone here looking for a Gamroth-built 2.4 with only ~6,000 miles on it? smile.gif

-duc

How much?

R
number6
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 15 2009, 03:14 PM) *

QUOTE(number6 @ Mar 15 2009, 07:01 PM) *

-duc

How much?

R

I haven't quite gotten that far along, to figure what the motor is worth. Am told if one were to go to Rothsport and ask for an engine like this to be built, it would exceed $15K. What do you think mine's worth w/ ~6,000 miles on it? $6K? More (hopefully!)? Less? I have full build sheet and all receipts for anyone seriously interested - let's talk! smile.gif

It might come down to resale value, however. If it makes more sense to sell the 3.2, it wouldn't kill me to do that - the 2.4 is that fun!

-duc
carr914
Duc, don't sell the 2.4, run it like you stole it, it will probably last a lifetime. No need to throw money at it that you don't need to. Keep the carbs, sell the MFI for a profit. To fit it now, would be cost prohibitive and not add value to the car.

Did I say Congrats,

T.C.
Rav914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 15 2009, 04:58 PM) *

Duc, don't sell the 2.4, run it like you stole it, it will probably last a lifetime. No need to throw money at it that you don't need to. Keep the carbs, sell the MFI for a profit. To fit it now, would be cost prohibitive and not add value to the car.

Did I say Congrats,

T.C.

I agree (but it's your car biggrin.gif ). I'd keep the carbs. MFI is difficult to get set up right, or so I've heard. Give a good mechanic a call and discuss a MFI set up with him. He may convince you to keep the carbs.
tod914
Very nice looking ride, congrads.
number6
QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 15 2009, 03:58 PM) *

Did I say Congrats,

T.C.

Thanks, T.C.!

Given that I'm after a daily driver, I completely agree! Not only that, the engine/carbs are so dialed in right now, I'd be apprehensive about messing with anything if I were to keep the setup (which is still up in the air - 2.4 or 3.2). Wish I were made of money, because this is one I don't really want to sell. But I have another car/restoration project coming, one which is actually planned, vs. this one, which was totally unexpected but too good to pass up.

I just took both cars for a lengthy, back-to-back driving comparison, and, to be honest, I like the added power of the 3.2. The 2.4 makes me grin ear-to-ear; the 3.2 makes me giddy (and that's w/ Weber 40s; with ITBs, I don't think there will be any comparison).

There'll be much number crunching in the coming days. Ultimately, that's what's going to determine everything. As it stands, given all the pieces (and messiness - there's much weighing my decision beyond just simply choosing which motor), it's looking more and more like the car is going to get the bigger motor.

T.C., since you're really on top of these things... what is the market value for a complete (all the major pieces, at least, as far as I can tell) MFI setup off a 2.4 E? Everything is in really good shape. I assume the pump is in good working order, but I'm not 100% sure, since the system is apart, in boxes.

-duc
carr914
Duc, I don't know the value of the MFI, but if I were you, I'd research it on the Early 911S Registry - that is your marketplace for it.

T.C.
Gint
Sweet lookin /6. Grats

I'd run the 2.4 but a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do!
LarryR
Very nice looking car. It would seem that putting the 3.2 in would add a lot of additional work... A 915 would probably be in order, wevo set up, bigger axels for all the torque, so swapping out the rear hubs.... Ah the slippery slope... I like the 3.2 . It is what I am doing with my 70 (4 cyl) .

There are some question marks in my mind as to whether or not the car will be able to hook up with 205's too. Flares are in my future but I finally drew the line in the sand so that I can have a running 914.
rhodyguy
are the cams currently installed in the 2.4 going to work with the fuel injection? better check first.
Cap'n Krusty
Looking at the closeups, I see little "rust embryos" all over it!!!!!!! Better get it out of the rain, NOW ............ The Cap'n
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 16 2009, 08:46 AM) *

are the cams currently installed in the 2.4 going to work with the fuel injection? better check first.

MFI "likes" rowdy cams. The Cap'n
carreraguy
QUOTE(LarryR @ Mar 16 2009, 07:01 AM) *

Very nice looking car. It would seem that putting the 3.2 in would add a lot of additional work... A 915 would probably be in order, wevo set up, bigger axels for all the torque, so swapping out the rear hubs.... Ah the slippery slope... I like the 3.2 . It is what I am doing with my 70 (4 cyl) .

There are some question marks in my mind as to whether or not the car will be able to hook up with 205's too. Flares are in my future but I finally drew the line in the sand so that I can have a running 914.

Hi Duc!
Wow! Nice car!
Very hard decision re: a 2.4/3.2 swap. I can see arguments both ways. However, as much as I love the 3.2 in my 911CS, I'd have to agree with Larry; it's a slippery slope for sure. You have to make the decision based on whats best for you (been there with my 914AROO).
BTW your mention of Gamroth reminded me about the highly modded 911CS Jeff sold a few months ago-what a screamer!
Later,
number6
QUOTE(LarryR @ Mar 16 2009, 06:01 AM) *

Hi Larry. I'm running a 3.2 in my '75 conversion, RJ mount, stock-gears 901, narrow body with 16x7 Fuchs 205/50 tires, B&B heat exchangers/headers, Kennedy adapter w/ lightened flywheel, Carrera frontend (which is going over to the /6), modified /4 rear for vented rotors. No problems at all. Runs awesome, actually! Of course, you can't abuse 1st, or better yet, not use it altogether, which isn't a problem, as there's plenty of torque. And it's really nice being up here in the Pacific Northwest, because I can get away w/o running a front-mounted oil cooler.

For a street car, I'm very happy with the above setup. Of course, many of the upgrades you mention would be nice, but I can live without them. Bottom line: It's not going to cost me any more to throw the 3.2 in.

The 3.2 makes decent power, but it's nothing ridiculous. We're talking only ~215hp (I have an '87) and ~218 ft lb. Our cars (the solid ones, at least) can totally handle it. Again, this is a street setup.

Are you keeping the DME for your car? Given the choice, I would, unless ITB$ were an option. Good luck getting your '70 together. Can't wait for the reveal.

-duc
number6
QUOTE(carreraguy @ Mar 16 2009, 08:53 AM) *

Hi Duc!
Wow! Nice car!
Very hard decision re: a 2.4/3.2 swap. I can see arguments both ways. However, as much as I love the 3.2 in my 911CS, I'd have to agree with Larry; it's a slippery slope for sure. You have to make the decision based on whats best for you (been there with my 914AROO).
BTW your mention of Gamroth reminded me about the highly modded 911CS Jeff sold a few months ago-what a screamer!
Later,

Thanks, Tom!

I couldn't agree with your statement about doing what's right for me more. Bottom line: I plan to drive this car. Lots! As in daily driving. The 3.2, for me, fits this capacity like a glove - it's perfect. I also often take spirited drives to clear the mind, and, again, the 3.2 is a blast. It is a proven setup, as it is what I'm running right now in my '75. And it does not permanently or otherwise alter the stock /6, so no harm done, and easily taken back to stock (I'm keeping all the stock parts).

Don't get me wrong - the 2.4 is a kick in the pants! Even coming from the 3.2, I'm excited by it. But back-to-back, it can't be expected to match it's bigger sibling in performance. And me likey performance!

I don't think anyone will argue that Jeff knows his stuff! I don't take my cars to him because my pockets aren't that deep...but that's something I'm working on, and hopefully I can afford to have him build out the white car.

I love your 914AROO...but you know that already smile.gif

-duc
PeeGreen 914
Duc

I think you should just keep the 2.4l in there and keep the 3.2l in the yellow car. The 2.4l is plenty fun for the street and daily driving. Now if you had more rubber and chassis mods and all I would say go for the 3.2l in the six. However, you don't and a 3.2l could tear that car up. Sad thing to do to an original six.
number6
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Mar 16 2009, 01:46 PM) *

Duc

I think you should just keep the 2.4l in there and keep the 3.2l in the yellow car. The 2.4l is plenty fun for the street and daily driving. Now if you had more rubber and chassis mods and all I would say go for the 3.2l in the six. However, you don't and a 3.2l could tear that car up. Sad thing to do to an original six.

Hi Jon. I'm not keeping the yellow car, not 100% intact, at least. Don't have the space! Much of the new goodness from the car will be going into the new car. Chassis will then go into extended storage.

I'm debating whether to add the Engman and/or chassis stiffening measures. Am of the belief that a solid chassis can handle the 200hp of the 3.2, without any fuss (again, this is for a STREET car). Not everyone agrees with this, of course. But I just have to do what's right for me. Anything that may happen is repairable, so I'm not worried. Am not just planning to swap in the motor and be done. The car is going to be totally disassembled for paint, so I'll be able to make sure that everything is as it should be, repairing whatever is required. And it's going to be built back up. What you see is just the starting point, far from where the car will be in a few months.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.