Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help with engine noise
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
watsonrx13
I need some help identifying an engine noise. Let me know if this is a major problem or something simple I can fix.... Here's the link...

-- Rob
904svo
It sounds like you need a valve adjustment or the rockers are worn bad.
FourBlades

> Need help with engine noise.

How's this: Braaaaaaaaa, bah bah bah, braaaaaaaaa!!!!

av-943.gif
underthetire
Sounds just like my car did when it sat for years. Mine had the following noises:

I have hydraulic lifters in mine. They had pumped down and stuck that way. Ran a quart of ATF through the engine at a fast idle for about an hour. Drained oil, re-filled with cheap oil and half quart of marvel mystery oil. Drove 300 miles or so. Changed the oil again with good diesel oil and it's been trouble free.

Fan belt was loose, rubbing on the fan housing. It made a similar sound.

My guess is valves out of adjustment if you have solid lifters.
Joe Ricard
Other than it idling high. there is some valve noise.

I still say like I did 2 months ago run it. Adjust the valves and run it. Quit worrying about it and run it.

Then I would run it some more. Maybe even race t.

If it blows it was bad
if it holds together run it some more.

Have I mentioned I would run it?
watsonrx13
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Mar 15 2009, 02:01 PM) *

I still say like I did 2 months ago run it. Adjust the valves and run it. Quit worrying about it and run it.

Then I would run it some more. Maybe even race t.

If it blows it was bad
if it holds together run it some more.

Have I mentioned I would run it?

Thanks Joe, I already knew your answer, I was just getting a second opinon..... shades.gif

Would this be a problem to a potential new owner? I'm going to put it up for sale soon, should I mention that I think it's making a strange noise?

BTW, I've adjusted the valves several times, but they always stay within tolerances....

-- Rob
r_towle
You may not be adjusting the valves correctly.
It should be fine, Run it.

Rich
jc914
I have to agree it sound like Valve adjustment is needed. Mine did sound a bit like yours after being stored. I did a valve adjustment and it was gone. I might want to change the vacuum hoses. Good Luck selling
watsonrx13
Thanks guys, I'll get someone to look over my shoulder next time to make certain I'm adjusting them properly.... After that, hopefully I won't be bothered by the noise and I can drive it like I stole it..... biggrin.gif

-- Rob
Jake Raby
Nope, thats a rod... either small end or big end. The video makes it hard to tell, but it seems too fast paced for a valve train related issue

When did this start? any other symptoms?

Time to drain the oil through a paint strainer to see what comes out with it and pull the oil pick up strainer to see whats there as well..

It really sounds like a small end rod knock to me..

Pul each spark plug wire while the engine is running and see if any one of them makes the noise quieten down. If it does, thats the cylinder with the issue..
carr914
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Mar 15 2009, 04:33 PM) *

Would this be a problem to a potential new owner? I'm going to put it up for sale soon, should I mention that I think it's making a strange noise?

-- Rob

Absolutely, Rob, your my friend, but if you don't get this fixed and don't disclose it, you open yourself to a whole new set of problems.

T.C.
carr914
Jake I knew you would have the answer. I told Rob a while back to make an audio and send it your direction.

T.C.

URY914
Rob,

Rod. biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
Ya'll sould have heard it before he sealed up the exhaust.
I think it is noisy exhaust

Maybe you got a lopey cam

I crack me up......
watsonrx13
Jake, thanks for the suggestions, I'll follow through and let everyone know...

TC, that's why I wanted to find out what the problem is before I sell it....

-- Rob
watsonrx13
Well, since I couldn't figure out the noise, I decided to remove the engine and rebuild it... Here's where I'm today..... I can't figure out how to remove the main bearings or the cam bearings.... Also, does anyone see any problems yet? Tomorrow I'm planning to remove the con rods, then take the crank, cam, con rods to the machine shop for measurements.... Is there anything else I shoud take?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

-- Rob
watsonrx13
Cam and crank...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

-- Rob
carr914
Rob, I'm meeting up with my motor guy today. I will ask him to come to the site, your thread and take a look for you. I know it's been a while since he's looked at a Type 4 since all he builds now is 911 motors, but he's got 2 good eyes. I'll let you know what he says.

T.C.
Joe Ricard
We won't know squat till he pulls the rods.
the center main bearing is hard to make out. I can't tell if that is copper or oil.
My bet is oil and will be waiting for the "I told you so" opportunity shortly.

If you remember I said it was exhaust leaks. so far I am right.

watsonrx13
I removed the con rods today, what a PITA....

Click to view attachment

Then I cleaned the con rods..... and guess what I found.....

wait for it....

wait for it....

I don't think I'm suppose to move this with my finger.....

Click to view attachment

So Jake was 100% correct and I'm glad that I tore the engine down before I caused major damage....

Jake, thanks again for your knowledge and assistance.... aktion035.gif

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 15 2009, 06:44 PM) *

Nope, thats a rod... either small end or big end. The video makes it hard to tell, but it seems too fast paced for a valve train related issue

When did this start? any other symptoms?

Time to drain the oil through a paint strainer to see what comes out with it and pull the oil pick up strainer to see whats there as well..

It really sounds like a small end rod knock to me..

Pul each spark plug wire while the engine is running and see if any one of them makes the noise quieten down. If it does, thats the cylinder with the issue..

-- Rob
URY914
I knew it....
watsonrx13
QUOTE(URY914 @ Mar 31 2009, 07:06 PM) *

I knew it....

Paul, I just went back over the responses and I forgot you also suggested it was a rod, so, you were also correct aktion035.gif , but Jake was more correct.... smilie_pokal.gif

-- Rob
URY914
I told you the day we picked the car up. The guy said it made a knocking noise. I said "rod".
Joe Ricard
So how loose WAS it? Like push hard with your finger it comes out? (no noise)
or tip the rod on it's side and it just falls out. (pretty good noise).

It was exhaust and it will be again if you don't fix it right.

Lets get some pictures of the big end bearings.
watsonrx13
Turned sideways and it fell out....

I'll get some pics of the big end bearings tonight....

-- Rob
KevinP
Rob,

I was gonna say the #3 rod bearing big end, but I'm glad you found it!

who are you using in Lakeland for your machine work?

Do you have a pic of the piston pin? and is the bushing still tight in the rod end?

KP
Joe Ricard
All you got left is cleaning and put it back together
watsonrx13
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Apr 2 2009, 05:09 AM) *

All you got left is cleaning and put it back together

So, I should finish cleaning the heads and block, have the crank polished, replace the main, rod, wrist pin and cam bushings and rings and put it back together? Any other recommendations?

-- Rob
watsonrx13
QUOTE(KevinP @ Apr 1 2009, 09:45 PM) *

Rob,

I was gonna say the #3 rod bearing big end, but I'm glad you found it!

who are you using in Lakeland for your machine work?

Do you have a pic of the piston pin? and is the bushing still tight in the rod end?

KP

Kevin, I'm going to drop the crank and con rods off at Fisher Buggies for the measurements and machine work. I'm also going to get a price on the parts from them and compare that to the other vendors here....

I can get a pic later tonight of the wrist pin.... The bushing fell out of the #4 rod (see the first page), all of the others were tight....

-- Rob
Jake Raby
Don't allow that rod to be rebuilt without the small end bore size being inspected. The loose bushing may have worn the bore of the rod and that may cause the same issue with the replacement bushing in a short time..
Glad you found it.

Told ya so :-)

Look our way if you need real assistance..
watsonrx13
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 2 2009, 03:57 PM) *

Don't allow that rod to be rebuilt without the small end bore size being inspected. The loose bushing may have worn the bore of the rod and that may cause the same issue with the replacement bushing in a short time..
Glad you found it.

Told ya so :-)

Look our way if you need real assistance..

Thanks for te suggestion Jake.... I'm going to go my machinist tomorrow to get the crank checked, hopefully only a polish. I'm bringing the rods and wrist pin and getting them checked also... BTW, the cam shaft is toast, so I'll be contacting you for a replacement... I think you have a nice replacement for a 2.0l FI, correct? How should I contact/order this, via you website or call?

Thanks again for your assistance...

-- Rob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.