Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 35 Years Later: VPC or DPD A/C?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Roy
Hiya fellas, I've got the unique opportunity of having two parts cars both with full A/C. One car has the VPC system and the other a DPD. Both systems look ok but I will likely send them out for refurbishment. So overall I'm wondering which system to go with? This will be in to a '73 2.0. I don't mind cutting up the car to fit the system as I will go about it much more gingerly than the dealers originally did and I will make sure to rust-proof my cuts. Are the differences mostly aesthetic? Does one system give more luggage space than the other? Does one cool better? Does one have a nicer install or require less cutting? Is one more 'correct' for a '73? This is not a question of whether I should or should not. My mind is made up and I have read enough posts to know that when in good working condition a 914 A/C system can make my girlfriend's important bits look 'perky' so please don't try to dissuade me. I am aware of the high horsepower consumption of the system and the availability of newer, more modern systems. I want a period correct, close to stock A/C system with the least possible modern upgrades for usefulness. A/C enthusiasts please reply!
TJB/914
Hi Roy,

AC in your 914 is a great project. I've collected everthing for a future installation when I move to a warm place. Here's some photo's of brackets, etc you will need. I strongly recommend you do not use the old style "york" compressor. Check out a small rotary type Sanden brand compressor to eliminate cutting into the sheet metal. Check the Street Rod magazines for installation informatin on these modern compressors. I believe everything else is ok.

BTY: This has been discussed many times. Do a search on AC for more details. I have the manual in my archives, but it's too large to post on this forum. headbang.gif

Tom
southernmost914
Lots of posts agree.gif The DPD condesor allows for modern fan options. bye1.gif Nuff said.
Steve
rfuerst911sc
The York compressor is good as a boat anchor and that's about it. I agree go with a Sanden like a # 508. It is not a rotary none of the Sandens are they are a wobble plate compressor but they are much more efficient than the standard piston type York.
charliew
There is an adapter that goes on the york bracket to mount the sanden compressor. Check out the 914 ac sites. The story is the new barrier hoses will be required to hold the 134a and another expansion valve. I'm not sure if the condensor is really big enough to support 134a. Also the remaining parts you use need to be flushed real good to get the old oil and freon out.
Roy
Alright, since no one is expressing an overwhelming preference for one system over another can anyone comment as to which system would be more 'period correct' for my early '73 2.0? Cheers.
southernmost914
My copy of the DPD owners Operating Instructions is dated 1971. My VPC parts list is is for models 71-76. So,I have no idea if the DPD came 1st or both at the same time. confused24.gif

Steve
3d914
Roy,

If you do a search for A/C and my member name (3d914) on this site and pelicanparts.com you will find many details on my installation for my 74' 2.0L. I combined the two systems - picking the best components of each, and ended up with very effective AC - and I'm in Phoenix.

I also provided a wiring diagram for the whole system. Shoot me an email if you can't find it.

Enjoy!
mtndawg
How ironic that you're putting one in. I'm taking mine out. I need some help. When I take the condenser off the engine what is the purpose of the 4 bolts used to mount it? Do these bolts not have anything attached when the mount is removed?
904svo
There is nothing that goes on there. It was only used for the A/C compressor
mounting. Some 914 have a oil cooler bracket attached to the upper rear bolt.
charliew
I'm not sure which under dash unit I have but a sticker on the inside says Ft. Worth, TX. When I got it I took it apart to clean it up and found the sticker loose in the bottom. Once I got it apart I found the temp control switch had the cover removed and the adjustment screws have been turned. The cover is missing so I thought I would get a replacement switch but it has a square shaft for the knob and so far I haven't found that type of switch. I might be able to put the original knob on the d shaped shaft of the replacement I found but it will require a little shadetree engineering. I may try to check the switch with a meter. It should open the circuit to the compressor at 33 degrees I guess to keep the evaporator from freezing up. Replacement parts for these aftermarket units may be interesting.

I may have gotten lucky the other day. I went to a local tube and fitting supplier for some hydraulic fittings and the counterman is a old vw ac man and he remembers a lot about the dealer addon ac stuff. He said he thought the dpd was made in Ft. Worth. I realize the vw is not a 914 but I have a 72 super beetle with ac and it's very similiar to the 914. The 914 type 4 has a lot better mounting design for the compressor than the bug though.
retrofit
QUOTE(3d914 @ Mar 27 2009, 05:24 PM) *

Roy,

If you do a search for A/C and my member name (3d914) on this site and pelicanparts.com you will find many details on my installation for my 74' 2.0L. I combined the two systems - picking the best components of each, and ended up with very effective AC - and I'm in Phoenix.

I also provided a wiring diagram for the whole system. Shoot me an email if you can't find it.

Enjoy!

3d 914
I have a case of stupid today. How about some directions how to use the search here on the world website for your a/c info? I entered air cnditioning and then in the other rh box(member) entered 3d914. Results were nada. Like to get your install info and print it out for future reference.
TIA
Allen
Turlock, CA-Where it does get HOT in the summer!
Tom_T
QUOTE(Roy @ Mar 15 2009, 03:24 PM) *

Hiya fellas, I've got the unique opportunity of having two parts cars both with full A/C. One car has the VPC system and the other a DPD. Both systems look ok but I will likely send them out for refurbishment. So overall I'm wondering which system to go with? This will be in to a '73 2.0. I don't mind cutting up the car to fit the system as I will go about it much more gingerly than the dealers originally did and I will make sure to rust-proof my cuts. Are the differences mostly aesthetic? Does one system give more luggage space than the other? Does one cool better? Does one have a nicer install or require less cutting? Is one more 'correct' for a '73? This is not a question of whether I should or should not. My mind is made up and I have read enough posts to know that when in good working condition a 914 A/C system can make my girlfriend's important bits look 'perky' so please don't try to dissuade me. I am aware of the high horsepower consumption of the system and the availability of newer, more modern systems. I want a period correct, close to stock A/C system with the least possible modern upgrades for usefulness. A/C enthusiasts please reply!

Roy,

I've heard that there's a better aftermarket dual condenser AC system available from Auto Atlanta (I think), which I saw while searching the net for parts cars, etc. for my 73-2L repair/resto. It's supposed to be far more efficient, cools better & uses the new R-134 freon (I've converted my `85 BMW 325e & `88 Westfalia to R-134, but no air in the 914).

You might google & look at the likely suspects on-line.

The actual DPD or VPC full system would only be critical if you're doing concours stuff where they count/ding points for that stuff. Others on here are far better advisors for that than me! Although I've owned mine since 2/76, I'm more of a driver/admirer than a "show guy".

You could still use the interior parts for the right "look" & hook that "newer tech" system up to, in which case the DPD both looked better (controls and vents are more attuned to & in balance with the 914 dast/center consoles, and it's supposed to havemuch better air distribution.

That's my 2 cents - hope it helps!
Tom T
///////
Tom_T

PS - why to you need AC in Vancouver!? ...or is it just for looks, upgradig, etc.? I've had mine in the SoCal heat, Desert, Colorado River, etc. without AC - and it's not that bad - esp. with the top off!
...Just curious?
Tom T
///////
Tom_T

Okay, FYI - here are some websites I've found & had bookmarked, which lists the accessories available & marketing brochures for same from some years - both VPC (made by VW in Ft. Worth) & DPD.

These may be helpful to others witth &/or looking out there at ACs as well:

http://members.rennlist.com/914_collectibl...Accessories.htm
http://members.rennlist.com/914_collectibles/Brochures.htm

Note that the factory options at the website below doesn't list AC (it was a dealer installed option in the US), but it's a goood compilation of various options available by the guy who did the rennlist 914 LE registry (I think).

http://members.rennlist.com/914_collectibles/OpEq.htm

This is the general rennlist webpage with all of the sections on 914s:
http://members.rennlist.com/914_collectibles/

These are probably great resources for seveal other bbs's here, so maybe the moderators could put them where they'll be of use elsewhere too?

Cheers!
Tom T
///////
Roy
Very Nice! Thanks Tom!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.