Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Here is some great tips for mounting the right side mirror
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
OK, I'm thinking about adding a passenger side factory style mirror. The factory installed a threaded plate in the drivers door for the mirror fasteners but the passenger door was optional. Does anyone know if the mount plate is in the door but just not drilled through the outer skin?

My car is a 1972... idea.gif I think it still has the original right door.

EDIT: I ended up using the punch from the bottom method but I like the pointed bolt from the bottom idea.
southernmost914
The mounting plate is there, you just need to drill it out.
Steve
r_towle
Its there.
You need to drill from the outside.

I made up a really accurate poster board template from the drivers door. Flip it over and it will fit on the passenger door.
I started with a 1/16th inch drill bit and stepped up slowly.

If you knick the threads you are bumming.
I got close then threaded the screw in to finish up the job...worked fine.

You will smack yourself for not doing it sooner.

Rich
Phoenix-MN
I took a small spring loaded center punch and used it from the inside of the door. It dimpled the skin on the outside exactly where to drill No guessing, no measuring, super easy.
rick 918-S
Cool, I thought it was there, just wasn't positive. Dunka!
PRS914-6
I drilled mine from the inside out. However the doors were gutted at the time I did it. If your windows are in that won't work. I don't know if you have seen an automatic center punch but that would work perfect. When pressed against the workpiece, it stores energy in a spring, eventually releasing it as an impulse that drives the punch, producing the dimple. No hammer needed. You could use it in the inside and it will dimple the outside. I'm pretty sure you could get your hand in there to do that. Good luck.

Click to view attachment
gothspeed
That is why ..... I love this forum smile.gif ...... I just picked up factory convex passenger mirror today biggrin.gif ..... now I just need to hunt down some screws and a gasket ....... then I will drill some holes as described above and install my awesome new mirror driving.gif ...... my 914 is coming along!!
EdwardBlume
+1 on the advice given. You want to punch a hole without stripping the threads. From the inside, I just punched a hole and then drilled carefully. After messing up the paint slightly headbang.gif I realized it goes under the mirror and stopped caring. Just be careful again with the threads..
ahdoman
When I did this I used a bolt that was the same thread as the mirror screw (only longer). Sharpened the end to a dull point and then threaded it in from the back. The dimple was perfectly centered that way. I also used a drill that was a size or two larger than the hole so that I wouldn't cut into the threads. It acted a little like a counter sink.
Cap'n Krusty
No one here has mentioned that the plate for the right side mirror is A LOT farther back on the door than it is on the left side. Just so you know ..............

The Cap'n
gothspeed
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 28 2009, 03:51 PM) *

No one here has mentioned that the plate for the right side mirror is A LOT farther back on the door than it is on the left side. Just so you know ..............

The Cap'n

unsure.gif ................. I was under the impression it was identical distance ..... or 'mirror opposite' ...... confused24.gif

Someone please post pics or clear this up before I swiss cheese my door .... sad.gif
warrenoliver
QUOTE(ahdoman @ Jun 28 2009, 05:19 PM) *

When I did this I used a bolt that was the same thread as the mirror screw (only longer). Sharpened the end to a dull point and then threaded it in from the back. The dimple was perfectly centered that way. I also used a drill that was a size or two larger than the hole so that I wouldn't cut into the threads. It acted a little like a counter sink.

Damn good idea! I like that one. smile.gif Once you have the small centering hole drilled, you might want to use a dremel tool to enlarge the hole in the sheet metal - that way, you won't be going into the threaded nut with a drill bit. Alternatively, you could use a drill bit a couple of sizes too big and use that to drill through the sheet metal with just the tip of the drill bit - don't go all the way through. If you have a bolt in the threads from below, it will protect the threads as you drill.

If you do slightly mess up the threads, you can use an appropriately sized metric tap from the back side to clean up the bad threads.

Warrenoliver
Project 6
Roll the window up, pull the door panel, use your fingers and feel along the inside and you will find a small plate. Take the punch and dimple the door skin. Drill from the outside.
gothspeed
QUOTE(Project 6 @ Jun 29 2009, 08:02 AM) *

Roll the window up, pull the door panel, use your fingers and feel along the inside and you will find a small plate. Take the punch and dimple the door skin. Drill from the outside.

That sounds like the safest bet ....... I will go pick up a spring loaded punch today smile.gif!!! Thanks .............. I cannot wait to get that mirror on there biggrin.gif!!
iamchappy
After i dimpled the spot from inside the door i think threaded a bolt up to the skin then drilled from the outside as not to mess up any threads.
r_towle
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Jun 29 2009, 04:37 AM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 28 2009, 03:51 PM) *

The Cap'n

unsure.gif ................. I was under the impression it was identical distance ..... or 'mirror opposite' ...... confused24.gif

Someone please post pics or clear this up before I swiss cheese my door .... sad.gif

There may be some difference and discrepencies over the years.

I have a 1972 car with Early doors...no door bars, old window regulators
The mirrors are in EXACTLY the same spot, side to side.

Rich
GeorgeRud
Just punch it from the inside, why take a chance? You'll absolutely love having the right side mirror! Just put a bit of paint over the drilled sheet metal so it doesn't start rusting.

I don't think the original screws are available anymore, but you can get some countersunk stainless ones that will look quite similar.
r_towle
Door striker plate screw.

Rich
Van914
Last night I installed the right side mirror I bought from AA last year. Took the door panel off and followed the instructions above. Located the plate inside the door. Rolled the window up and used the punch to mark the location of the holes. Drilled from the outside, ran the 6mmx1.00 tap to clean out the holes, installed. Really easy and I wonder why I waited so long.
Van
gothspeed
My 914 is a 1973 ...... I did the spring loaded punch from the inside ........ drilled the resultant points the punch created ....... cleared metal away from the threads with a dremel then touched up the bare metal to prevent rust ........ installed my new RH factory mirror with new screws and gasket ........... it looks great and works even better biggrin.gif !!!!

I recommend this to every 914 that does not have a RH mirror w00t.gif !!!!!

Note: on my 914 the passenger side factory threaded plate holes were in the exact 'mirror opposite' position as the drivers side. Not forward or rearward as mentioned above.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.