Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What kinda engine is this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RiqueMar
Picked up the 6 cyl engine today, it's an extra one that my Dad had. He's out of town, and I'm incredibly impatient, and don't know if its a 2.2 or a 2.4 and am having a hard time finding out, I swear, my newbness is getting to me.

I found numbers such as 901.107.701 all around the engine.

Any ideas?
Cap'n Krusty
Look at the right vertical alternator support. There'll be a stamped serial number. Report back. While you're at it, there's a number stamped into the top of the case close by (a couple of inches away, and more or less horizontal). It'll be 9xx/xx. Give us that one, too.

The Cap'n
RiqueMar
Ill have it in 12 hours
RiqueMar
Ok, so it was a little over 12 hours.

I found these numbers on the top of the engine.

1196 and 13595.

I looked all last night, but couldn't come up with anything confused24.gif
RiqueMar
Bam!

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
agentblr
From the casting dates of 1-69 the heads are 2.0 for sure
Cap'n Krusty
You didn't look where I told you to look, did you? To the left of the oil pressure sender, on the vertical surface, there's a number with a star at each end. If it's not an unnumbered replacement case, the number is ALWAYS there on a 911 engine. Then, just forward of the oil line fitting behind that sender, there's a number stamped into the case. As I said before, it's 9xx/xx. If you ask for help, please do me the courtesy of at least trying to help find the answer to your question.

The Cap'n
LarryR
QUOTE(agentblr @ Mar 18 2009, 09:40 PM) *

From the casting dates of 1-69 the heads are 2.0 for sure

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 18 2009, 10:07 PM) *

You didn't look where I told you to look, did you? To the left of the oil pressure sender, on the vertical surface, there's a number with a star at each end. If it's not an unnumbered replacement case, the number is ALWAYS there on a 911 engine. Then, just forward of the oil line fitting behind that sender, there's a number stamped into the case. As I said before, it's 9xx/xx. If you ask for help, please do me the courtesy of at least trying to help find the answer to your question.

The Cap'n

agree.gif
LarryR
Its got carrera tensioners though beerchug.gif
LarryR
And I see no spot for the injector so not an E or S so even without seeing the type number my guess is 69 T DOAH! lowest performing 6 cyl porsche ever dropped in a 911.

beer3.gif
sixnotfour
giant ports, late cylinders, lite flywheel.
2.5 hotrod myguess
agentblr
Good call,I thought the intakes looked a bit "large" even for s heads.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(LarryR @ Mar 18 2009, 10:13 PM) *

Its got carrera tensioners though beerchug.gif

So? All that means is the PO was a sucker for advertising and peer pressure ...........

We ever get those numbers?

The Cap'n
SirAndy
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Mar 18 2009, 08:27 PM) *

Bam!

IPB Image

That's why i hate photobucket ...

The reason we have picture upload here is so we keep them and they don't get deleted at random.
dry.gif Andy
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 18 2009, 10:07 PM) *

The Cap'n

I apologize, but I'm new to anything with wheels, and I had no idea where an oil pressure sender was located.

Reposting the pictures....

RiqueMar
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
McMark
This is where the Cap'n is talking about.
RiqueMar
I didn't mean for my newbness to show THAT much
SirAndy
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Mar 25 2009, 02:45 PM) *

I didn't mean for my newbness to show THAT much

biggrin.gif
LarryR
[quote name='scotty b' date='Mar 22 2009, 08:16 AM' post='1148258']
SLUGS! Detuned engines, emissions ( thermal reactors ) Engine is a good candidate for a rebuild and upgrade. Cams need to be swapped, head studs as usual, pistons need to be swapped for higher compression ( IMO ). Get rid of the reactors, get a good earlier exhaust on it. typical 911 rust issues. Front suspension pan, check the torsion bar housing for rust as well as the area around the torsion bar covers, front doglegs. 6K isn't bad if it really is in good shape.
[/quote]

[quote name='JRust' date='Mar 22 2009, 08:43 AM' post='1148271']
I was thinking in 77 it would have a 3.0 confused24.gif Is it a 2.7 then?
[/quote]

[quote name='jasons' date='Mar 22 2009, 08:55 AM' post='1148281']
cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 22 2009, 08:16 AM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
typical 911 rust issues. Front suspension pan, check the torsion bar housing for rust as well as the area around the torsion bar covers, front doglegs. 6K isn't bad if it really is in good shape.
[/quote]

Wouldn't a 77 be zinc dipped?
[/quote]

Marks arrow points to the serial number I added a red circle for the type number of the engine. It will be in the form of 9XX/XX I am predicting that it is 901/03 or one of the 69 T stampings :
Click to view attachment
RiqueMar
Sorry for the 'no response for a month and a half, I havent even had time to get on the site and update my blog.

*6300063*
PlaysWithCars
Engine type number? 911/02 is my guess based on the engine serial number. This looks like it is shaping up to be a 1970 2.2S case; which really make you wonder what happened to the heads. Should have ports for MFI injectors.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.