Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Screaming Speedo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Peter_Hinkle
I had this happen about 8 years ago or so but I can't seem to remember what the outcome was. I was driving down the interstate the other day and all of the sudden, my speedo started making this really loud screaming, buzzing, whining noise. It is a fairly commen problem, I just can't remember for the life of me what causes it and how to fix it. Anyone know off the top of their head? ...Peter H.
BIGKAT_83
I replaced my speedometer with a unit that had been rebuilt by one of the big speedometer shops. The first time I hit 50mph this thing started screaming like hell.
I really don't know how to fix it except replacing it with another one.

Bob
redshift
I thought that was the speedo cable?

I had a friend, with a 69 Bug.. that happened to us on a stoner road trip to see my girlfriend in the middle of the night, she lived 5 hours away, I think we pulled it out, all fixed.

M
Bruce Allert
It was a dark & dreary night whilst driv'n the teener from school when all of a sudden the most gawdawful noise filled the cabin to the point of making me pull over to the side of the road! Litterally, scared the shit outta me blink.gif
I took my speedo apart to find the gear closest to the cable had become loose enough to spin on its shaft. If I remember I was able to push it back into place, put a wee bit of greese on all the gears and, so far, all has been well.

.........b
mike_the_man
Same sort of thing happened to my VW Rabbit. I've heard that the thing to use to lubricate speedo cables is graphite. I tried that, and it quieted things down a bit, but not enough. I just ended up disconnecting the speedo. It never worked right anyway.

I'd give some graphite a try, and see how that works.
914ghost
Happened to me in about every one of the 32 VW's and Porsche's I've owned.
Sometimes it's been moisture in the winter freezing inside the thing. Punching it REAL hard sometimes works, but it hurts your hand. wacko.gif
Usually fixed it by squirting WD40 or graphite into there. You can take it apart too. Its pretty easy, lube it up almost always fixes it.
I found that eventually if its does this the speedo will get stiff and break your cable- same applies to old 356 Tach's. They get you back by pumping oil up the cable into the gauge and onto your shoes while you're on a 2300 mile roadtrip.
Bob O beer.gif
seanery
mine started doing this today. First trip out this spring, yes, I'm calling it spring already.

So, just take it out of the dash and squirt some teflon, graphite or silicone in there?
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(seanery @ Feb 25 2004, 02:27 PM)

So, just take it out of the dash and squirt some teflon, graphite or silicone in there?

confused24.gif try it.... can't hurt but
what do I know?
I'm on my 2nd glass of Merlot laugh.gif
WTF... eh? beerchug.gif

..............b blink.gif
I
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.