Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What does a :39 look like at Laguna
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal

My buddy Pat is driving his IMSA Porsche around Laguna doing 37's (Matt Lowrance motor) so this gives you some idea of the speed.

Bill Pickering will tell you where the lines need a bit of work....just like he taught me at Laguna driving The Beast.

OK, well maybe the lines are good, but this drive guy was being careful. I know, probably smart.

Acutally the driver is very smooth...just look at his inputs on the steering wheel.

I wish Trekkor was still over here to watch his hand movements!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4xLIUmr290
drew365
He really does have smooth steering input. Hard to believe that's any kind of Buick.
jimtab
ALL the IMSA cars were stupid fast and in the right hands.....boy that guy is smooth=fast....I'm envious.
koozy
Man, that's real smooth. looks effortless.
race914
You guys are losing your touch. No one has dissed me for being passed by the Buick around 7:25 in the video...

WTF.gif
Brett W
That could be Bill Riddell. He races with us in HSR. He has one of those old Somersets and it is fast as hell. Its basically a tube chassis mini Trans Am car from the Mid eighties. The cars go like stink and handle really well.

Racer, you didn't have a chance, so no one faults you.

Also the guy is driving really easy. That must have been a practice session. You can tell by the wave for passing, the manner in which he is looking around the track and the 5 cars on the track with him.

I would post a picture of the car but my picture is too big and I don't want to resize it.
grantsfo
Decent lines and clearly driving very very conservatively. A well dialed IMSA car of that class is capable of going much faster out there.

Here is a 1979 935 IMSA car that is almost 10 seconds a lap faster with traffic! 935 is the E ticket ride on Laguna! Its perfect track for that car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fHaaJ1qyQs
grantsfo
Speaking of IMSA racing at Laguna I loved the old Chevy Monzas on that track. I have always thought that would be a fun vintage car to race. Even Michael Keyser jumped out of a Porsche to drive one around 77. DeKon Engineering had it going on back then. Thoses Chevy's were Porsche killers with 600 HP and 2400 lbs with huge fat tires.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Brett W
I love Monzas. Had on back in the day with a small block. It would be cool to build one now days with modern stuff under the skin and an IMSA body kit. The Dekon cars will show up to race with HSR sometimes and they are bad ass. I watch them battle with the Old Steve Millen 300ZX, an Olds Aurora Trans Am car, and some other Trans Am cars. They are fast.
grantsfo
QUOTE(Brett W @ Mar 18 2009, 07:54 AM) *

I love Monzas. Had on back in the day with a small block. It would be cool to build one now days with modern stuff under the skin and an IMSA body kit. The Dekon cars will show up to race with HSR sometimes and they are bad ass. I watch them battle with the Old Steve Millen 300ZX, an Olds Aurora Trans Am car, and some other Trans Am cars. They are fast.

I watched them kick Porsche butt at Laguna Seca back in the 70's. They were wickedly fast cars that left the Porsche behind on power sections.
Brett W
I think Chevy won the manufactures championship in 75 with those cars.
yeahmag
Man... That is an amazing sound that thing makes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.