Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steel wheel restoration questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rav914
The finish on a set of 4.5's I have is not to my liking and I was thinking about getting them re-done. I'm undecided about doing them myself or sending them off to a shop.

A couple of the wheels have what I believe is a powdercoated finish. Can that be bead-blasted off?

If I were to blast them down, prime, and paint; what paint brand and color would I use for an original finish? Wurth silver? I've scoured all three hardware stores in my town and none of them have a rattle-can paint that looks good. It's either too mettalic or too gray.

If I wanted to put more money back in the economy, where would you recommend I send them? Al Reed and Harvey are the Fuchs guys, do they refinish steelies? I called Al a couple times to ask but got the answering machine. I know he's busy and don't feel like bothering them with the phone. I've used Harvey for Fuchs, but his year+ waiting time is too much.

Lastly, can I buy "new" 4.5 or 5.5 non-chromed steel wheels? Every set I've looked at over the past year resemble what one would find at the bottom of a land fill. It's getting frustrating just finding good steel wheels.

Thanks,
Nate
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I would definitely get them powder painted. Send them as is and a good powder painter will strip them and refinish them to their specifications, that way there are not complaints that the wheels were not prepped well enough! Porsche or mercedes silver wheel paint color is one that everyone knows (yes it is the wurth stuff) but it is very important to powder paint as the wheels get way too much abuse even on a concours car. There are many good powder painters around the country. Forget getting new wheels they have long been unavailable.

I would also first check the wheels for trueness at a tire shop before spending the money on powderpainting. The painter should charge 75 a wheel max for stripping prepping and painting.
tod914
Aircraft Stripper should eat through that PC in no time.
Porsche Rescue
Can't believe there are two of us! I too want to refinish the 4.5's on my '70. Even trying to find some 155 tires. If you are going to paint yourself, the Wurth metallic silver spray can is the right stuff. I'm sure powder coating is more permanent, but $75 per is too rich for me. Although it appears that the paint alone is now $20 per can, then you buy the clear and the primer.......and if it takes two cans for four wheels.......maybe powder coating is not so bad!
Rav914
Thanks for the inputs!
r_towle
Contact Emory motor sports.
Ask who they use.
Send them there.

Alternate
Call Craig at Camp 914
Ask who he uses.
Send them there.

Rich
Wilhelm
Didn't someone mention in a thread that les schwab (the tire shop) did powder coating for $25.00 per wheel?

Edit:

Here is the thread: Wheel Powder Coating About the 3rd entry.
Rav914
Les Schwab? Would have never of thought of that. I'll give them a call in the morning. Thanks.
sixnotfour
Call EruoTech Totem Lake(Mark) they do alot of 356-911 etc.
oh wait here is his cell #206-963-4620

If your descraminate les schaub wont do.
carreraguy
Harvey Weideman re-finished my steelies a few years ago and did a great job- just don't be in a hurry!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.