Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Now I have protection for my bottom
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
I had the neighbor spray the underside last night. They used a topcoat of kevlar clear so it would keep its shine. They did an excellent job.

Click to view attachment

The engine bay looks so nice too
Click to view attachment

The finish is finer than they do for truckbeds and it is very consistant
Click to view attachment
drive-ability
That looks so nice !
Wow biggrin.gif
greenie
Hi Billy,

That looks fantastic.

Why stop there? Do the whole car, never have to worry about those pesky rock chips. smilie_pokal.gif

quadracerx
Hey Billy...

All I can say is WOW....Give me a call I have some news for you.....LOL

Steve
PanelBilly
The guys at the LineX place have a pickup they did. They can do different textures and the trucks body lines are done with different styles. They said they were going to do the dash next. For a truck, it works.

By the way, I only have to worry about rock chips if I drive the car!
PanelBilly
QUOTE(quadracerx @ Mar 17 2009, 07:41 PM) *

Hey Billy...

All I can say is WOW....Give me a call I have some news for you.....LOL

Steve

I thought I might see you in Auburn today. When are you up this way again?
championgt1
That is tough.(no pun intended)
mojorisen914
Wow, Billy. I really like the look of that. You shouldn't have to worry about rust anymore either.
Can we asked how much they charged to do that?
PanelBilly
Good friends and they have been watching me work on my car for years. $600. They taped the car off and it took them about two hours to complete that part. The spray took about a hour. Lots of time in making sure all the surfaces were covered.
sean_v8_914
what did you do for surface prep to ensure lasting adhesion and prevent rust encapsulation?
ConeDodger
Well, it isn't original... (said in my best CW voice) lol-2.gif

Very cool... That is going to be one sharp car.
Shade Tree
Do you happen to know about how much weight was added? I only ask because my friend had his Suzuki Samurai sprayed with the same except it's all over the body. It added almost 500lbs to the weight of his rig. by the way, that looks really nice!
pete-stevers
I thought this belonged in the craigslist personals...
but now i understand biggrin.gif
sixnotfour
Do you happen to know about how much weight was added? I only ask because my friend had his Suzuki Samurai sprayed with the same except it's all over the body. It added almost 500lbs to the weight of his rig. by the way, that looks really nice!

500lbs holy moly ! I bet it will be quiet going down the road.
PanelBilly
Answers,

Rust prevention - Media blasted to bare metal and then coated with an industrial 2 part paint, then the bed liner and the kevlar clear. The car has been indoors for years so I did'nt lock in any mosture.

I don't know how much weight it added, but I'll find out. I don't think its that much. Its not like spraying tar or a heavy material.

Someday I hope to have one of my ads posted to the Best of Craigslist. An interesting title is so important on Craigslist.
Wilhelm
500# Doubtful. This took what 2 gallons of material? Did you consider doing the inside of the cabin as well to prevent water from sitting on the tin and exposed seams as well?
Elliot Cannon
When the car is complete and you finally get it in the hermetically sealed display case you'll probably build for it, will we be able to come up and see the car sometime? av-943.gif
Wes V
What is "Kevlar clear"?

Is it a brand name?

Wes
Cairo94507
PanelBilly
That looks terrific and I know from experience that stuff is tough to scratch. I wonder if it comes in colors? I am still looking for a suitable 6 to build and love seeing these great ideas.
PanelBilly
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Mar 18 2009, 06:54 PM) *

When the car is complete and you finally get it in the hermetically sealed display case you'll probably build for it, will we be able to come up and see the car sometime? av-943.gif

If you promise not to put fingerprints on the glass case.
PanelBilly
Yes LineX comes in custom colors now. Kevlar clear is a coating they engineered for the bed liner that makes it stronger and so it maintains a shine. It's like really strong clearcoat.
So.Cal.914
I've seen it used before, very nice touch. Sure makes the blue pop.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.