Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Straightening windshield trim
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zonedoubt
I am in the process of reinstalling the aluminum trim around the windshield. It was a bit bent to start with and got a bit more mangled when I took it out. What is the best way to get the pieces looking good again? Doing a freehand bend seems to make it worse. Should I start by flattening the outward face against a table and then working it to get the curves correct again? Any tips are appreciated.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Mar 18 2009, 12:48 PM) *

I am in the process of reinstalling the aluminum trim around the windshield. It was a bit bent to start with and got a bit more mangled when I took it out. What is the best way to get the pieces looking good again? Doing a freehand bend seems to make it worse. Should I start by flattening the outward face against a table and then working it to get the curves correct again? Any tips are appreciated.

Ditch the PITA aluminum trim and move to a black rubber surround.

Or, use a trim hammer (lightly) against an anvil. Then ditch the trim and go to rubber.

Not that I am bitter or anything.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.