Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heat Exchangers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turnaround89
The title is my question. Can i get the heat exchanger off the car by cutting it off? I have removed all the heating bits and pieces on my car and want the HE to go as well. Should i remove the exhaust and then cut the HE off or is it possible to cut them off while they are on the car?

PS - I ordered a new pedal board(an aluminum one) from AA last friday/saturday(can't remember) and was wondering if anyone knows if they are on back order bc the money for the part still hasn't been taken out of my account and i don't think the part has shipped yet. Just wondering, thanks everybody!!!!
jimkelly
what the hell are you talking about??

unbolt them from the heads and unbolt them from the trans - and the whole exhaust assy should fall to the floor.

cut them off confused24.gif

got any pics??

jim
rjames
What Jim said. Remove the muffler, remove the muffler and even the hanger if you like, remove the piece of tin attached to each exchanger and then you'll be able to look up and see the bolts that attach the exchangers to the head.
Cap'n Krusty
I think he wants to remove the HE tin from the exhaust pipes. Maybe it's rusty, maybe he thinks it'll turn the pipes into headers, maybe he has reasons we don't need to know. Yes, they can be cut or torn away. No, you don't have to remove the exhaust pipes from the car. No, it won't give you any more HP, nor will it aid in cooling the engine. In fact, it'll probably do the opposite. As I said here in the recent past, it is a bad thing to remove the exhaust pipes from the engine unless you really have to do so. Too many things to go wrong. The Cap'n
turnaround89
The Cap'n has it, the tin is what i want to remove, because it just hangs there on the exhaust pipes, i can move them around and push them farther away or nearer to the engine. The tin is rusty but the exhaust pipes are fine. I highly doubt being able to move the tin is supposed to happen
r_towle
Go for it. It should add at least 10 hp and drop the cooling temps by at least 20 degrees.

RIch
Lavanaut
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Mar 18 2009, 02:43 PM) *

what the hell are you talking about??

QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 18 2009, 04:29 PM) *

Go for it. It should add at least 10 hp and drop the cooling temps by at least 20 degrees.

Too much of this post-2-1117899824.gif on this board lately. Must be the economy. But this was a legitimate question, and not a difficult one to understand...so give it a rest guys. dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.