Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Tool You Might not need
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
I nearly fell over laughing about about how stupid I was. I am always looking for ways to make jobs simpler. I got sucked in to this to the tune of $37 by the time it arrived. lol-2.gif headbang.gif

The piston removal kit consists of:

1 Banjo bolt
1 Banjo fitting
1 Grease fitting
4 Copper washers

Everybody out there that has any spare parts should be able to replicate this kit.
ssstikircr
I always put my rubber tiped air nozle straight to the caliper. No fancy tool needed.

chair.gif
r_towle
ditto on the air...its cleaner.
Do put a piece of wood in place so the piston does not hit metal..it will come out fast with air.

I also use the brakes themselves if the piston is stuck.
Hook it back up to the rubber line..put a bucket under it and have your assitant press on the pedal...

Its something like 750 psi using the pedal.
150 psi using air...

You will not be happy if you use a grease gun.
Rich
type2man
And if you don't know 914's all too well, you can't use that on the back calipers because they twist off....for the front, you just apply pressure with air straight into the line. I guess there is indeed a tool for everything!!
Wes V
I like the guys a Zim's, but that "tool" (for $37) is just funny!

I just use air after blocking off any extra holes.

IPB Image

Watch your fingers!!!!!

The big C-clamp is holding a piece of steel that prevents the piston from blowing into the next neighborhood, once free.

Wes
914Sixer
I received an email from Dennis Butts VP of Parts at Zim's. He did not feel that I was correct about being "sucked" in about this tool. I said I would correct my error. NO ONE twisted my arm to buy this set up. I stated I was disappointed about this tool because the setup is hardly new. On page 113 of the Haynes and page 249 of the Lash handbook they show using the banjo bolt set up with compressed air but no grease fitting You can also use the correct size grease fitting (square type with fitting on the side) and bypass the whole tool set up.

I am sorry if this reflected poorly on Zim's. They do a good job and I have bought parts from them from the 1990's to present. I hope there are no hard feelings.
Thanks,
Mark
charliew
Sounds like one of those deals where the tool isn't pictured but it is described as a great time saver.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 23 2009, 06:58 PM) *

I received an email from Dennis Butts VP of Parts at Zim's. He did not feel that I was correct about being "sucked" in about this tool. I said I would correct my error. NO ONE twisted my arm to buy this set up. I stated I was disappointed about this tool because the setup is hardly new. On page 113 of the Haynes and page 249 of the Lash handbook they show using the banjo bolt set up with compressed air but no grease fitting You can also use the correct size grease fitting (square type with fitting on the side) and bypass the whole tool set up.

I am sorry if this reflected poorly on Zim's. They do a good job and I have bought parts from them from the 1990's to present. I hope ther is no hard feelings.
Thanks,
Mark

Yes but $37.00? blink.gif It must be one of them expensive foreign banjo's. shades.gif
bandjoey
It's sorta like those deluxe jack pads on ebay - the ones that slip into the jack hole and have a round steel plate welded on for the floor jack. They really sound like a great idea until you get it in the mail and ask yourself What Was I Thinking!

and Why Didn't I Think Of This First, and Make All The Cash!

How bout a new post for all the stuff we've spend crazy money on?
lol-2.gif Bill

p..s..Zim's might have some wacky stuff, but Dennis always gets the right parts out to me.
914Sixer
The tool itself was only $19.95, tax $2.77 and freight $ 13.66 brought it to $36.38
IronHillRestorations
OK, well you couldn't shag the spare parts and have someone package them for $20. IMHO

I like the grease thing, you won't have the piston flying out under pressure, and you 'ain't gonna compress grease. I've seen this done on some water cooled engines to get out the lifters.
Eddie914
125psi is sometimes not enough for extremely stubborn stuck pistons.

Leave the caliper on the car, secure any freely moving brake caliper pistons (clamps, vice grips, etc.) and use your right leg and the brake pedal.

Eddie
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.