Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Halon fire extinuisher
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
1970 Neun vierzehn
I know for certain that asking where (and how) to secure a Halon fire extinguisher in the passenger compartment will bring forth no smart-aleck, sarcastic or irreverent replies from anyone who frequents this Forum happy11.gif

Drilling holes in newly restored footwell, tunnel or dash areas is not what I care to do. Nor do I want it stuffed and padded behind the seat. If you carry a F/E in your original and/or concours 914, what have you done to secure it? And even if you don't yet carry a F/E (why not?), got any creative ideas for placement?

Thanks.

Paul
mskala
Did you expect anyone to tell you to search the numerous earlier threads where this was discussed? biggrin.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
most mounted it right in front of the pass seat against the crossmember by extending brackets forward from the seat bracket. That way it was hidden away and no holes were drilled in the car.
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(mskala @ Mar 20 2009, 08:06 AM) *

Did you expect anyone to tell you to search the numerous earlier threads where this was discussed? biggrin.gif

I brought this very question up a year or two ago, and never got an answer that was useful. sad.gif

Paul
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 20 2009, 11:42 AM) *

most mounted it right in front of the pass seat against the crossmember by extending brackets forward from the seat bracket. That way it was hidden away and no holes were drilled in the car.

The car in question is a '70. No moveable passenger seat on 70s and 71s. (Of course George knows that, as well as about 90% of the folks who visit this Forum.)
I really don't want to drill holes on the transverse, structural member located just in front of the seat.

Paul
Pat Garvey
I just let mine rattle around behind the passenger seat.

I know that doesn't help you, and I'm very sorry to hijack this thread, but how does one get a halon extinguisher recharged? Supposedly, these things are verbotten.

Sorry Paul - bolt it to that new dash!
Pat

1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 20 2009, 04:03 PM) *

................. but how does one get a halon extinguisher recharged? Supposedly, these things are verbotten.

Pat

Availability for new and renewal at aviation hardware providers. Found a vendor not too far from where I live, on the east side of Cincinnati.

Paul
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Mar 20 2009, 06:11 PM) *

................. but how does one get a halon extinguisher recharged? Supposedly, these things are verbotten.

Pat

Availability for new and renewal at aviation hardware providers. Found a vendor not too far from where I live, on the east side of Cincinnati.

Paul

Hmmm, 600 miles to rechage? I dunno?

Back to your original post.....

You are either going to have to wedge it someplace, drill someplace, or apply velcro someplace. I don't see any other options for a 70. Quite frankly, I wouldn't do any for your 914. Trust it to the gods. I mean, it's totally new!
Pat
1970 Neun vierzehn

Pat

I can't put it on the dash, there's no room after I get the Valentine detector, the Garmin GPS navigation system and the XM satellite adapter that is being wired into the Bang & Olefson, 12 speaker system. poke.gif happy11.gif biggrin.gif

Actually, velcro might be an idea if it will hold the weight/mass of the F/E. Thanks for the idea.

Paul
mskala
On a '70. Here is a bracket that doesn't require any new holes.
mskala
... Then, you put a piece of old headliner under it and an extra piece of
vinyl over the front support bar, and ...
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Mar 20 2009, 06:33 PM) *

Pat

I can't put it on the dash, there's no room after I get the Valentine detector, the Garmin GPS navigation system and the XM satellite adapter that is being wired into the Bang & Olefson, 12 speaker system. poke.gif happy11.gif biggrin.gif

Actually, velcro might be an idea if it will hold the weight/mass of the F/E. Thanks for the idea.

Paul

I really should mention, given this Forum, that whatever you do is non-original. As the former Moderator, and since there is no current one, I just felt it my duty
Pat
jonferns
I bent a thin strip of metal about 20ga, 1" wide, and about a foot long. I bent one end over the cross support in the floor under the seat, and the other end wraps under the extinguisher. NO screws or anything holding it, it simply rests in place. This way it sits neatly on the floor, partially hidden by the passenger seat. Its also easily accessible if God forbid it's ever needed! Here's the best I can do for a diagram:

Click to view attachment
zonedoubt
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Mar 21 2009, 07:27 PM) *

I bent a thin strip of metal about 20ga, 1" wide, and about a foot long. I bent one end over the cross support in the floor under the seat, and the other end wraps under the extinguisher. NO screws or anything holding it, it simply rests in place. This way it sits neatly on the floor, partially hidden by the passenger seat. Its also easily accessible if God forbid it's ever needed! Here's the best I can do for a diagram:

Clever! clap56.gif Let us know how it works. Any chance of it popping out going over a bump?
jonferns
Nope, doesn't come loose over bumps or anything. If you want to be extra secure, you can make 2 straps and space them out on the extinguisher.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Mar 20 2009, 06:33 PM) *

Pat

Paul

I'd do away with the Valentine. You drive so slowly that it's unnessecary. The Garmin I'd keep - old people need to know how to get home. The B & O is really necessary for someone who is hearing impaired, so keep it.

ps for those who think I'm being cruel. Paul is my best bud. We jibe each other frequently - I usually win. So don't get a hair up your A_s - we're friends, and he deserves it.
Pat
Racer
Why not put it in the front trunk? More than likely the fire will be behind you wink.gif
jonferns
Because you are wasting a few precious seconds opening your front trunk to go get the extinguisher, and what if your trunk release breaks? Better off having the extinguisher easily accessible to you inside the car.
6freak
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Mar 19 2009, 08:33 PM) *

I know for certain that asking where (and how) to secure a Halon fire extinguisher in the passenger compartment will bring forth no smart-aleck, sarcastic or irreverent replies from anyone who frequents this Forum happy11.gif

Drilling holes in newly restored footwell, tunnel or dash areas is not what I care to do. Nor do I want it stuffed and padded behind the seat. If you carry a F/E in your original and/or concours 914, what have you done to secure it? And even if you don't yet carry a F/E (why not?), got any creative ideas for placement?

Thanks.

Paul

I could be wrong god knows I am alot! But halon is not what you want in your car that is for a fuel or oil fires and will do nothing for an electrical fire.Halon takes all the air from the surounding area and if it happens to go off inside the car with you in it you cant breath.If you want a fire bottle in your car use a A.B.C. bottle its safer and works for all type`s of fires A.B.C. D rated bottle will work for magnesium products and Titanium....Thats why theres no helon bottles in race cars
smg914
I keep a 1.4 pound Amerex HALOTRON extinguisher in my car.
Racer
you could simply just up the insurance coverage and not worry about an FE (since you don't want to ruin how original it is wink.gif )

You could wrap it in a towel and stuff it behind the drivers seat (assuming there is room)

Mines bolted to the right of my right foot on the tunnel.
iamchappy
I made a bracket on my driver seat that attaches under the rail with the two allen heads which i replaced with a little longer ones.
Gearhead1432
QUOTE(6freak @ Mar 25 2009, 12:51 PM) *

I could be wrong god knows I am alot! But halon is not what you want in your car that is for a fuel or oil fires and will do nothing for an electrical fire.Halon takes all the air from the surounding area and if it happens to go off inside the car with you in it you cant breath.If you want a fire bottle in your car use a A.B.C. bottle its safer and works for all type`s of fires A.B.C. D rated bottle will work for magnesium products and Titanium....Thats why theres no helon bottles in race cars

Small 5 pound (1 quart) HALON 1211 bottles are rated B and C for fuel (flamable liquid) and electical type fires. That's why they are on aircraft. These are also the two primary causes of fire in a car. Also, HALON it self has low vapor toxisity. However it's decomposision products can be hazardous. At decomposision it gives off a sharp acrid odder, which is the built in signal to leave the area.

One more thing, HALON 1211 bottles over 9 lbs are A rated as well.

Personaly I would go with HALON 1211 or CBrCLF2. Infact, I trust my life with it every day.

-Rob
underthetire
QUOTE(Gearhead1432 @ May 23 2010, 04:12 AM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ Mar 25 2009, 12:51 PM) *

Small 5 pound (1 quart) HALON 1211 bottles are rated B and C for fuel (flamable liquid) and electical type fires. That's why they are on aircraft. These are also the two primary causes of fire in a car. Also, HALON it self has low vapor toxisity. However it's decomposision products can be hazardous. At decomposision it gives off a sharp acrid odder, which is the built in signal to leave the area.

One more thing, HALON 1211 bottles over 9 lbs are A rated as well.

Personaly I would go with HALON 1211 or CBrCLF2. Infact, I trust my life with it every day.

-Rob

agree.gif

Been using them on oil coolant CNC machines now for a long time. It's not pretty when 60 Gallons of cutting oil go off, especially with the 3000 PSI pumps I built for them. Halon puts it out so fast the operators usually don't even realize they had a fire except the machine shut down. The real nice thing about them is no mess to clean up. The old dry chemical stuff took them several days to clean up, and several weeks of repair to the machines. Now they are usually back up after just changing the cutting oil.

And I am still working with Safecraft to get us a reasonably priced system engineered for our cars. Don and I have been a little busy lately.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.