Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rim sizes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cvoros
Wondering who knows what rim widths and offsets I can squeeze under the fenders of my 75 2.0L. I have the 4 lug Fuchs at the moment and have been contemplating 5 lug conversion.....but also have been thinking about flares. So I'd like to hear what I can fit in there - stock fenders and what kind of meat flares will accomodate. I like the look with wider rear tires, and want to squeeze as much room out of of the wheel well as possible.

Seeing alot of Fuchs 5 lugs on eBay, etc. as usual and I like the dished ones. Are the replicas any good?
i.e. these - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-All...A1%7C240%3A1318

I obviously wont decide on wheels until I decide whether its getting flares or not but just want to know what I should be on the lookout for.

TIA
SLITS
I just put 15 X 7 Cookie Cutters w/ 195/65 tires on. Real close on driver's side of a narrow body rear, but clears.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(cvoros @ Mar 19 2009, 11:57 PM) *

Wondering who knows what rim widths and offsets I can squeeze under the fenders of my 75 2.0L. I have the 4 lug Fuchs at the moment and have been contemplating 5 lug conversion.....but also have been thinking about flares. So I'd like to hear what I can fit in there - stock fenders and what kind of meat flares will accomodate. I like the look with wider rear tires, and want to squeeze as much room out of of the wheel well as possible.

Seeing alot of Fuchs 5 lugs on eBay, etc. as usual and I like the dished ones. Are the replicas any good?
i.e. these - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-All...A1%7C240%3A1318

I obviously wont decide on wheels until I decide whether its getting flares or not but just want to know what I should be on the lookout for.

TIA

This seller has been around for a while now and all the feedback is positive. If there were issues, I think you would see it there; I don't recall any negatives on the seller on this board.

type2man
I tried 16x7's on the back of my 74 and was able to do so with a 205/50/16. Personally, I wouldnt buy aftermarket alloys, they are heavier and have no resale value. For the same price or less you can find early ones and refurbish them yourself.
Racer
I'm sure there are a buch of threads but I'll try to summarize that the real issue is the rear fender.

Widths that "should" fit with little to no work:
5.5"
6.0"
6.5"

With a little more work:
7"
8" (ok, some will day this is a LOT of work wink.gif )

With Flares.. up to likely 10"

The fronts will fit 7"s easily before flares are really needed.

With flares.. 9"

The issue with replicas is the unkown quality. For street driving they should be fine. For something where repeated g-forces and heat come into play (like track driving) i would stay away from them.

While appearance always plays into this, a stock motored car running 205-50-15s has MORE than enough grip, especially given modern tire technology.

Porsche Fuchs offsets, iirc

6" - 23.3mm
7" - 23.3mm
8" - 23.3mm (for the 1986 951 part numbered wheel)
8" - 10.6mm (for the 911 part numbered wheel)
9" - 15mm

"late" offset Porsche wheels, are in the 50-60mm range.
cvoros
QUOTE(type2man @ Mar 20 2009, 11:53 AM) *

I tried 16x7's on the back of my 74 and was able to do so with a 205/50/16. Personally, I wouldnt buy aftermarket alloys, they are heavier and have no resale value. For the same price or less you can find early ones and refurbish them yourself.

Guess I just havent seen many originals for under $300, although I dont need them right away so I have time to look around for a good deal.
cvoros
Racer, thats great info! Exactly what I was looking for. Much appreciated!

My biggest dilemna is thinking about tearing up my current 2.0L. Its in decent enough shape that it would almost be a shame to modify it that extensively. Would be nice to find one already "molested" but chances are something with a bigger motor/flared already will likely be set-up with wider tires.

Thank you biggrin.gif
Racer
I would say keep it stock or find one already built the way you would like. No point in molesting another one wink.gif
914junkie
Before I went to a widebody, I had 16X7 Fuchs with 225/50/16's all the way around on the stock body but it was tight. 225/45/16's should fit better but still a little tight. Prolly have to pull em slightly. Maybe 215's? 205's no prob.
cvoros
Racer : I am starting to lean that way I think. I would hate to tear up a good (mostly) stock 914. Besides going widebody I have contemplated a WRX transplant as well but I'm sure there's a widebody 6, WRX, V8 set-up how I would ultimately like to have done that someone is/will be ready to part with.

http://www.camp914.com/cars/orange1-16-08.html

WOULD'VE BEEN PERFECT!

Junkie : I have the 4lug Fuchs currently with 205/55/15's with 1 3/4" clearance up front and 3/4" rear. It looks OK but I like a little meatier tire.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(cvoros @ Mar 21 2009, 05:16 AM) *

Racer, thats great info! Exactly what I was looking for. Much appreciated!

My biggest dilemna is thinking about tearing up my current 2.0L. Its in decent enough shape that it would almost be a shame to modify it that extensively. Would be nice to find one already "molested" but chances are something with a bigger motor/flared already will likely be set-up with wider tires.

Thank you biggrin.gif

I'll be putting the yellow car pictured in my avatar for sale soon.

it fits a 15 x 10 rim with 285 wide tires. ALL AROUND.
Shade Tree
QUOTE(cvoros @ Mar 21 2009, 03:08 AM) *

QUOTE(type2man @ Mar 20 2009, 11:53 AM) *

Guess I just havent seen many originals for under $300, although I dont need them right away so I have time to look around for a good deal.

The deals are out there. I bought two 15X6 fuchs in real nice shape for $10 each about a month ago and last weekend I bought the other two wheels plus a 911 front suspension, a used front spoiler and a complete set of heater parts for $300. The guy doesn't appear to have any full sets of wheels....maybe some 16's but if you only need one or two, I can give you a phone number.

edit: almost forgot. I got a passenger long in the deal too!
gothspeed
I just bought a very clean 1973 with near perfect body ............ and yes I will be cutting it up and putting steel flares on it biggrin.gif!!!

It would have been nice to find one already done but controlling the quality level oneself is very gratifying ..... w00t.gif !!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.