Full Version: Serious understeer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal

Man would this ruin your day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWvvRwY6Aqg...feature=related
SirAndy
QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 20 2009, 08:02 AM) *

Damn!

Too hot, too early turn in, not enough breakage ...
icon8.gif Andy
PeeGreen 914
Thinking maybe something broke on his car? confused24.gif Looks like he couldn't turn.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Mar 23 2009, 09:08 PM) *

confused24.gif Looks like he couldn't turn.

It's called understeer ... biggrin.gif

He did turn the wheels, but his front tires didn't bite. He came in too hot, turned in too early, tried to brake but that just unsettled the car even more.
You can see the rear coming lose early in the vid when he realizes that he's too fast. It's all downhill from there ...

driving.gif Andy
PeeGreen 914
Oh I know what understeer is but this just doesn't look right. No tire noise, looks like he is slowing but not enough to unsettle his car. I think something broke or he did something weird.
ChrisFoley
brake failure
grantsfo
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Mar 24 2009, 05:43 AM) *

brake failure

He did come in hot without much braking.
stownsen914
That was certainly an unfortunate result.

There's nothing quite like understeer on cold slicks. I had an experience like this in my 914/6 track car. It seemed like whatever understeer I normally had (the car had an understeer setup when I first built it), it was MUCH worse when tires were cold. Luckily in my case there was only dirt and grass at track out, not a guardrail ...

Scott
charliew
I think he was talking on the phone or jerking off. I don't see any sign of braking and it sounds like he didn't get the right gear.
sww914
I think his brakes were gone. He had plenty of time from when he let off of the throttle until he hit the barrier to slow down a lot but he didn't.
Randal
QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 20 2009, 09:02 AM) *

One thing, in the video, that didn't fail was the guard rail. If it hadn't held up I shutter to think of the carnage.
Randal
[quote name='Randal' date='Apr 19 2009, 11:26 AM' post='1159560']
[quote name='Randal' post='1147621' date='Mar 20 2009, 09:02 AM']
Man would this ruin your day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWvvRwY6Aqg...feature=related

I also think his line was way off, way far to the right trying to early apex the corner.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.