Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Size
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
knuckledrgr914
I have a '70 914 and don't know what size the motor is. Can anyone tell me the size based off the number stamped on it? If so, the number is W0049374.

Thanks!

Brad
MDG
the W code engine is a 1.7 which is proper for a '70
'EA' code is on later 1.7
'EC' - 1.8
'GA' - 2.0 for '73/74
'GC' - 2.0 for '75/76
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(knuckledrgr914 @ Mar 21 2009, 12:21 AM) *

I have a '70 914 and don't know what size the motor is. Can anyone tell me the size based off the number stamped on it?

In 1970 you had two choices - 1,7 /4 or 2,0 /6 - you don't need an engine number, just cylinder count.
Of course this only tells you what size it was when it left the factory.
It could be anything inside by now unless you're 100% sure it's never been apart.
knuckledrgr914
Thanks ArtechnikA and MDG! I appreciate the feedback... I have dropped the motor and will be cracking it open tomorrow.

Brad
McMark
Yup, a 'W' engine code means it started life as a 1.7. Could be anything now, but likely it's one of two sizes a stock 1.7 or a big bore 1.7 which is a 1911. Measure the cylinder bore.

90mm = 1.7
94mm = 1.8
96mm = 1911
MDG
Have at it and good luck. If you run into any snags post your questions in the garage forum. Many brains there much bigger than mine who have all done it before - they will have answers if you need them.

m.
knuckledrgr914
Thanks MDG and McMark! Looks like it is a 1.7, but I will make sure to measure the cylinder bore to see exactly what it is. Unfortunetly the individual I purchased the '70 from had the carburators off and water got in the jugs. I tore it down today and found quite a bit of rust, but luckily it did not get down in the motor (crank, cam, ...). I am sure I will be spending plenty of time in the garage forum while rebuilding the motor and getting it back on the road.

Brad
MDG
QUOTE(knuckledrgr914 @ Mar 25 2009, 10:15 PM) *

Thanks MDG and McMark! Looks like it is a 1.7, but I will make sure to measure the cylinder bore to see exactly what it is. Unfortunetly the individual I purchased the '70 from had the carburators off and water got in the jugs. I tore it down today and found quite a bit of rust, but luckily it did not get down in the motor (crank, cam, ...). I am sure I will be spending plenty of time in the garage forum while rebuilding the motor and getting it back on the road.

Brad

Brad, the fact it has carbs is your first indication that at least some mods have taken place; might be just a swap from the original FI - but it might also indicate what Mark mentioned earlier. Again, once you get into it, the garage is the place to go for any advice you may need.

mike
davep
Please add the VIN, and data from the paint code badge to the database, or just post it here so that I can do so.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.