Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Pump took a dive
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
Luckily, I caught it in the garage. It was fine last night and fubared this morning. This is an aftermarket pump by Mallory and when I took it apart the seal was shot on the shaft between the motor and the gearator. So, back on jackstands for me.

Dave
KELTY360
I've got a used Djet one if that will help.
championgt1
Bummer. Glad it happened in your garage though.
DNHunt
Thanks Marc, I've got a couple of those myself. I ordered a new Walbro. there is a kit to rebuild the Mallory but, I don't think I will. It wasn't that old and I just don't trust it. Thank goodness it showed it's colors now and not on the road to Cali.
rhodyguy
mallory would be explaining to me why that pump would fail after such a short life.

k
DNHunt
It spent 6 months dry. It was used when I got it, how much I don't know and I don't have a receipt. I either eat it or repair it. It costs 35 bucks for new seals on a pump that I don't like the design of and has plumbing that is overly complicated to get fuel to and from. I think it qualifies as a 914 boat anchor.

Dave
r_towle
Dave,
Dont waste you money on the lottery.
Please dont take that the wrong way...you just seem to have poor luck...
I found a delco fuel pump that worked.
For the PSI it was 65 PSI peak, fitting size was one in one out...I forget the sizing, but measure it.
The local flaps has a big catalog of parts...the delco one works find and its alot cheaper than the bosch one.

Rich
J P Stein
Mine's prety tricky to get plumbed in also. biggrin.gif
jt914-6
J.P.
It looks like the shock stems are sticking up pretty high. Hope they don't hit the hood when it's lowered. My racing Koni's and Camber Ball mount hit my hood when closed. Your stems look like they are higher than mine.................
DNHunt
The continuing saga: New Fuel Pump was DOA. Maybe I am cursed. Spent the day getting it plumbed and had to take it back out. I bled it, and the motor in the pump runs but nada. I can't even blow through it either direction. I suspect something plugged it. I know it wasn't from the car cause I blew out all of the lines and there is a 40 micron filter between the tank and the pump. Summit is overnighting a new one so, I get another gas bath tomorrow.

Dave
Tom
Dave,
Are you holding your mouth right? Can you test these out of the car before installing? " Hang in there, it will be ok." Just keep repeating that until you begin to believe it. LOL. Hope the new pump will be OK.
Wonder why I never have these bad luck things happen to me? Oh, yea, I have to work on the car for them to happen, right? I knew those jack stands were good for something.
Last time I started it it was running OK, but I need to get the brakes to stop squealing. Hope nothing breaks when I get around to putting the anti- squeal on the pads. Ha, Ha.
Tom
DNHunt
Got the 2nd pump in and all is well now. It says right on the pump that it takes a 20 amp fuse. So off I go and the car quits. The fuse I had in was 7.5 amp so, I didn't make it far. 100 yards down the driveway. Change fuses and I'm off again. I had a nice drive until I threw the alternator belt. So, I fixed that this morning.

Dave
KELTY360
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Mar 27 2009, 04:30 AM) *

Got the 2nd pump in and all is well now. It says right on the pump that it takes a 20 amp fuse. So off I go and the car quits. The fuse I had in was 7.5 amp so, I didn't make it far. 100 yards down the driveway. Change fuses and I'm off again. I had a nice drive until I threw the alternator belt. So, I fixed that this morning.

Dave

lol-2.gif Oops, sorry......was I laughing out loud?

Dave, your patience is overwhelming! You must really hate jackstands. Glad you're back on the road.

thumb3d.gif
messix
the saga of Dave Hunt! screwy.gif
DNHunt
I put on an old alternator belt that never gave me any trouble. It has the notches on the outside instead of the inside like a Conti. The Conti I had on there was new and it came off at about 7K. Needless to say I'm lucky it didn't take out anything else. In particular, there is a shielded cable from the crank sensor that is on the firewall near the fan and I was worried about that.

I took it out this morning for a short shakedown and all seemed well. The alternator belt behaved itself. It would have been great but, it started raining buckets. I need to get some miles on this engine.

Dave
sixnotfour
Good News Dave ,
Put on your best smile Today. biggrin.gif
Tom
Glad to hear it Dave.
By the way, when are you going to write a book on this saga? Would be an interesting read and there is plenty of room for humor.
Tom
Eddie914
Dave,

WOW! She's up and running! Great work!

I have been battling fuel problems too. We totally rebuilt the Webers on the 3.2 Friday ... it should have been done long ago.

You were smart to turn around and wait for the rain to let up ... unfortunately it was probably a long wait.

IPB Image

My son and I were at Bremerton Raceway to do a bit of lapping yesterday ... it should have been sanctioned by the ABPA (American Power Boat Association) instead of the IRDC. We had one session where a WET line started to develop.

Spinning the rear tires at 4000 rpm in 5th gear is the kind of excitement I can do without!

Eddie
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.