Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Charcoal Recirc Canister
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
My 76 914 came with the canister (albeit connected)just laying on top of the engine, yet it has a clamp around it. Where and what does it bolt to? The clamp does not have a captive nut for the bolt to thread into so where is the tap for the bolt on the clamp.
yeahmag
If memory serves it's in the drivers side front wheel well.
JeffBowlsby
Here you go. Its was on the gas tank 1970-late74, moved the the pass. side rear wall of the engine bay in late 74-75, then to the edge of the battery tray for 1976.

TC Johnson
I am resurecting this old thread to ask an additional question.

Since I am removing the air pump and all associated lines from my '76, what should be done with the hose to the charcoal canister that brought air from the pump? I can find a plug for the canister so it is closed up. Is having the small vent hose to the engine sufficient?

Thanks in advance.

Tom
type47
On my '74 with the canister in the front, a cloth braided hose from a port on the fan housing, I presume to transfer some air pressure, went from the passenger side of the fan housing, then back under the relay board then along the rocker under the drivers door then into the front trunk to the canister. I think then another hose retraced the same path back to the engine compartment and connected to the air filter housing. Maybe your fan housing has a port and you could connect to pressure the canister and exit/vent to the air filter housing. (If I recall correctly...)
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(TC Johnson @ Aug 18 2011, 11:38 AM) *

Since I am removing the air pump and all associated lines from my '76, what should be done with the hose to the charcoal canister that brought air from the pump?

I don't think the hose was supposed to bring air from the smog pump to the canister. There should be a hose either from the side of the fan shroud, or from the side of the engine tin, to the one side of the canister. Then a hose from the other side of the canister goes to the air cleaner so the excess fuel vapor can be burned. There is a little hose that comes from the fuel tank "expansion tank" (the extra chamber on top of the fuel tank), runs through the center tunnel, then connects to one side or the other of the canister.

That's for late-74 and later 914s. The earlier ones are as described by Type47 above.

To the OP: Plumb the canister correctly. It doesn't cost you anything (other than a couple of ounces of weight) and it can help make sure you don't have a fuel smell in the car. And it cuts down on air pollution; it's a win all around!

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.