Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine lid buffers p/n 914 559 253 10
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
zonedoubt
This discussion started in the classifieds, but this is likely a better place to get an answer.

Part number 914 559 253 10

PET calls these "Buffers" and says 2 are required although the part has been "dropped".

I can't tell from the exploded parts diagram where these actually go. Does anyone actually have these installed? I ordered a couple from AA and they're nothing more than a rubber cylinder with a hole somewhat like a thick plumbing washer.

The engine lid hinges have a hole in them near the ends of the springs so I figure they fit in there. Seems to provide some buffer for the lid when it opens to prevent it from hitting the back of the targa rollbar. But maybe that's putting some stress on the hinge. confused24.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Mar 22 2009, 11:25 AM) *

This discussion started in the classifieds, but this is likely a better place to get an answer.

PET calls these "Buffers" and says 2 are required although the part has been "dropped".

I can't tell from the exploded parts diagram where these actually go. Does anyone actually have these installed? I ordered a couple from AA and they're nothing more than a rubber cylinder with a hole somewhat like a thick plumbing washer.

The engine lid hinges have a hole in them near the ends of the springs so I figure they fit in there. Seems to provide some buffer for the lid when it opens to prevent it from hitting the back of the targa rollbar. But maybe that's putting some stress on the hinge. confused24.gif

The buffers DO into the engine lid. They are threaded. Start them in & twist to the left. You'll notice that the opening in the lid are nor flush, for a reason - they are like a rubber screw. And! You DO need them.
Pat
914werke
HUH~!? wacko.gif

The eng. lid has 2 rubber elements that are consistent across all
yrs. Under the torsion bars/springs at the 90 on each side they rest on
a rubber button. It dosent screw in but simpley is press fit. is this what your
referring to?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
There are actually four of those buffers which act like bump stops for both the front valance? and the engine lid. Discontinued by Porsche we bought the last of them factory new. The part in not in high demand or we would have them made. These do not need to be confused with the screw in lid buffers. They are not buffers.

QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Mar 22 2009, 10:25 AM) *

zonedoubt
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Mar 22 2009, 11:10 PM) *

HUH~!? wacko.gif

referring to?

I think so. Does anyone have a photo? I'm having a hard time picturing where they go.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Mar 23 2009, 09:58 AM) *

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Mar 22 2009, 11:10 PM) *

HUH~!? wacko.gif

referring to?

I think so. Does anyone have a photo? I'm having a hard time picturing where they go.

they wedge inbetween the hinge and the front of the engine lid and on the front pan on each side just aft of the edge of the front belly pan, one on each side of the trunk floor. There will be holes there is yours is missing
zonedoubt
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 23 2009, 11:36 AM)

they wedge inbetween the hinge and the front of the engine lid and on the front pan on each side just aft of the edge of the front belly pan, one on each side of the trunk floor. There will be holes there is yours is missing

Aha! I found a pic here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=62289&hl=
Click to view attachment

Mine didn't come with the rubber tip to fit into the hole. I guess I'll have to use a screw?!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Mar 23 2009, 01:04 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 23 2009, 11:36 AM)

Aha! I found a pic here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=62289&hl=
Click to view attachment

Mine didn't come with the rubber tip to fit into the hole. I guess I'll have to use a screw?!

Oh crap, I misunderstood - guess I should have referenced the PARTNO. Jeez, not that I think about it, mine are 37 years old. Damn, just another think to change! Damn!
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.