Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spruced up a faded Targa Top
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Slick914
I just spruced up this faded targa top. The results were amazing so I had to post it. I first scrubbed the top with Simple Green. Next I sprayed it down with an aeresol solvent and wiped it down. Now the top seemed to be free of dirt, wax, etc. I then sprayed it with Bulldog Adhesion Promoter. After 5min I then began spraying it with SEM Color Coat Landau Black aeresol. I applied each coat 5 min apart, until the can was gone. I had enough for about 5 coats. These were really thin coats and it didn't even start to fully cover until the 3rd coat. This stuff is awesome when applied in very thin coats as none of the texture detail is lost. The color turned out absolutely great! It's a perfect match, not being too dull or shiny. Only time will tell if it holds up, but if it doesn't I'll just hit it up with another can every couple years. Being the car is only out on nice days, I'm sure it'll be fine.

Here's the before and after...

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
rick 918-S
nice lookin top smile.gif
dlee6204
agree.gif Good job! smilie_pokal.gif
dw914er
looks good
benalishhero
Looks great. I need to do mine.
underthetire
agree.gif
Drums66
We're all in agreement......Nice Top! shades.gif
jt914-6
While in the body shop for a paint job I had them sand down the top smooth and paint it the car color. I think it looks good and turned out great. My opinion. Also deleted the sail panel vinyl and chrome trim at bottom of sail panel.

Click to view attachment
dbgriffith75
clap56.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Great work!
roadster fan
Nice job, and thanks for posting the specifics of your process. Gonna try it on one of my tops smilie_pokal.gif

Jim
Slick914
QUOTE(roadster fan @ Mar 26 2009, 11:52 AM) *

Nice job, and thanks for posting the specifics of your process. Gonna try it on one of my tops smilie_pokal.gif

Jim

That is why I posted. I think the SEM is the closest match to the original color that I have seen. The top really looks better in person than the photo. For some reason the after photo of the whole top looks grainy or something.
schreiber
I did this last year. I love the difference a few cans of aerosol can make!
underthetire
I want to do mine, but then the top would be nicer than my car. I just bought mothers back to black. Came out pretty nice.
Drums66
Now we're in dissagreement......I prefer stock look
when it comes to the top and sail panel's, but yours
looks good for you! rolleyes.gif
914four
QUOTE(Slick914 @ Mar 22 2009, 03:35 PM) *

I just spruced up this faded targa top. The results were amazing
IPB Image

How is the top holding up after a couple of years Phil?
Slick914
I ended up selling the car. Another member currently has the car listed for sale in the classified forum. Maybe he can tell you. Looks good in the pics...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=116394
914four
QUOTE(Slick914 @ Apr 12 2011, 02:33 PM) *

I ended up selling the car. Another member currently has the car listed for sale in the classified forum. Maybe he can tell you. Looks good in the pics...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=116394

Thanks Phil, the top still looks great in the pictures! I am considering restoring my top and this seems to be a reasonable way that might work for me.

Kelvin
jesiv
I did this today following the same recipe. It worked as described. I found all the products at Sherman Williams automotive paint supplies in Santa Clara. It was very easy to do with built in breaks!!

Thanks for the post really a very easy and visible project. I can't see why anyone would hesitate to do this.

Regards

James
pvollma
QUOTE(jesiv @ May 4 2013, 09:05 PM) *

I did this today following the same recipe. It worked as described. I found all the products at Sherman Williams automotive paint supplies in Santa Clara. It was very easy to do with built in breaks!!

Thanks for the post really a very easy and visible project. I can't see why anyone would hesitate to do this.

Regards

James

I just did my top, using a slightly different procedure. I used SEM products all the way through: SEM Soap to clean the top, SEM Plastic Adhesion Promoter and SEM Color Coat Landau Black (all available from Summit Racing). I used a gray Scotch-Brite pad (Staples) with the Soap to clean the top, and followed the directions for the Adhesion Promoter (one light coat, then, after 5 minutes, one heavy coat). After 20 minutes, I started applying light coats of the Landau Black, with 5-10 minutes between coats, until the can was empty. The top really looks great now, and it took less than 2 hours.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.