Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My brakes! *woot!*
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
So, car is liscensed, has a title, and should be drivable.

Except my new, zero miles, master cylinder is leaking. OKay, no biggie. I order another new one from Pelican, and spend today getting it installed. I hate those reservour lines!

So, new master is installed, fresh fluid in the system, time to bleed it. Hook up the long tubes, crack off the rear passenger side bleeder valve (which is also new - zero miles) and it is stripped.

Drip.
Drip Drip.

I had taken a 1/2 day off work Tuesday to get my car aligned.

Drip drip drip.

Monday I have a 17 hour day. I won't even be able to look at my car.

Drip drip. No way to stop it. Frusterated. Tired. Head is spinning from laying on a creeper too long.

No one around here stocks the bleeder screws for my 914, and if Bug World is not open (as is the norm) I'll have to wait until the end of the week for them to be ordered.

Fucking car simply will not let me get it on the road. I can only hope, at this point, that I can come up with a bleeder valve tuesday after work. I am so close, and it feels like my car is just trying to find things to throw at me.

Zach
jimkelly
she is testing you - to see if you really love her for who she is and not for her hot body.

Joe Bob
Pay someone to fix it...then you can yell at them.....

I'm from the government, I'm here to help.
dlee6204
Go ahead and tell us how you really feel... poke.gif
rhodyguy
no one in your neighborhood has a brake caliper laying around?

k
dkjens
Ah, is that called labor of love he he?

Working on getting my Teener on the road for the year and sh!t, every time you turn yout head, a new job presents itself he he.
Dr Evil
I'll poach one from the stash on Tues.....maybe I will sneak in and fix it for you wink.gif
Dr. Roger
if i didn't think i couldn't get it to you sooner than you finding one yourself, i'd pop one off of one of my spares....

but i'm sure you can. =)

it is what it is.

some folks would be very happy to be in your shoes.
VaccaRabite
Sorry, I was just a little frusterated when I came in last night from working. Its tough when you are looking at the end of the tunnel, and something really minor trips you up.

I'm probably over torquing the bleeder screws.

Zach
6freak
I got my new bleeders from a good local parts store just make sure there metric treads of course...P.S they have somekind of new trick oneway bleeder valves ? dont remember what there called .go buy some and lets us know how they work !!
VaccaRabite
The ones with the check valves (speed bleeders). Thats exactly what stripped out.

In one sense, they are nice if you are bleeding using long tubes. There is no vacume when the pedal comes back as there is usually. However, you can't use them with a pressure bleeder as the pressure bleeder does not have enough force to open the check valve.

Zach
6freak
Never mind..lol...dont sound like your to happy with them!hope you didnt spend a lot for them.....sometimes it better to just leave the shop then to get mad ..Its a new day and you will get it worked out
Dr Evil
oh, speed bleeders. Your on your own there. I can only get you stockers used for free.
VaccaRabite
I would prefer the stockers. I do not like the speed bleeders. With the stock bleeders, I can use my pressure bleeder.

Zach
jsayre914
i got the number of george and george if you need it??

wish i had a few xtra for you

Good Luck beerchug.gif
jimkelly
what IS the torque spec on a bleeder valve - 70-80 psi ??
Joe Bob
PSI is for tire pressure. What you're looking for is ft/lbs. and it's not a whole lot. Just make sure they are snug.
benalishhero
Damn I have a drawer full of bleeders at the shop.

Wish I could help you out.
crash914
I have a couple of sets of front calipers and at least 1 of rears...
let me know what you need,

we can hook up in B' more...
I am working on e. monument st...
SGB
Hang in there, Mate-
VaccaRabite
I was able to find 2 rear bleeder screws at NAPA today. My usual store did not have them, but they were able to get some in before the end of the day.

I think that the hole on the passenger rear caliper may be a little ovaled. After I bled the system (rock hard pedal, love it) I was not able to get the new screw to seal all the way before it stripped out. Luckily I bought 2.

The second screw I wrapped in a little plumbers tape. it did seal, even when I stood on the brakes.

So, now a question. Is this safe? If it seals, its safe, right?
r_towle
brake fluid can peal paint....
I dont think its safe with plumbers tape...

Rich
Joe Bob
If it was my ass on the line...I would trust plumbers tape. A passenger's....I'd replace the caliper or retap and put a larger fitting in.
Dr Evil
agree.gif
rick 918-S
750 PSI with marginal threads and fluid that can eat paint. In my best Clint Eastwood.... Let me ask you, ar15.gif Do you feel lucky? Well, Do ya Punk? shades.gif laugh.gif Sorry Zach, I couldn't resist. happy11.gif
Solo914
Looks like it won't last long. Teflon tape is pretty chemical resistant but its not extremely heat resistant and will begin to break down at over 450 and at 750 the vapors are toxic. No bueno for now. I say pull the caliper, tap it out and go bigger.

http://www.imscompany.com/msds/105579.pdf

Sorry man, I know you just want to drive it. Maybe I missed this but why would the hole be ovaled? I thought these were rebuilt calipers.

kyle
drive-ability
Well, we drive 30 year old cars most people wouldn't trust just to run down the street, so we are risk takers at the core. If you brake it down your rear brakes don't carry the bulk of the load anyway.
Look for a replacement caliper anyway... poke.gif
VaccaRabite
I suppose that I knew I'd need more work on this one.

I'll try calling my local machineist and see if he is welling to drill and tap for larger sized bleeder screw. I could probably do this, but am wary of it.

Zach
6freak
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Mar 25 2009, 03:06 AM) *

I suppose that I knew I'd need more work on this one.

I'll try calling my local machineist and see if he is welling to drill and tap for larger sized bleeder screw. I could probably do this, but am wary of it.

Zach

You can do that your self in 15 minute with the proper tools ...ya piece of cake Rabite..save a buck
VaccaRabite
Okay, so what size bleeder screw do I want to move to. Does the ID of the outlet need to stay the same? How do you keep the sealing surface true? Just do it on a drill press and make sure not to go deep enough to get to the seal point for the bleeder?

Zach
6freak
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Mar 25 2009, 06:11 AM) *

Okay, so what size bleeder screw do I want to move to. Does the ID of the outlet need to stay the same? How do you keep the sealing surface true? Just do it on a drill press and make sure not to go deep enough to get to the seal point for the bleeder?

Zach

I will take a stab at it and say the next size bleeder up, whatever that mite be.And as far as the ID goes i dont think it would really matter as long as you have a good seat and it seals off the pressure you should be ok....maybe someone like Mr Shea is a better person to ask ...someone will chime in soon
VaccaRabite
I took the caliper off today after work (I'm getting fast at this) and took it over to my machinst, along with one of my bleeder screws, and asked for his advice.

He looked at the bleeder hole, and said that he did not think there was a safe way to save it. His idea was to put an insert in, but he said that would not leave enough metal between the bleeder and the caliper bolt. I asked him about drilling it out and tapping for the next larger size bleeder screw, and he said he was not confident that would be a safe solution, so he was not willing to do the work.

I've used this guy for a lot of other things, and he has always been quick to say where I could go if it was a job he could not handle (and he did the same today for another issue on my truck). For the caliper, he was pretty adamant that I replace the caliper.

sad.gif

sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

Zach
jsayre914
headbang.gif
rick 918-S
Zach,

I'm sure I have one if you can't find one from someone close to you. Let me know if you need help. I just got back in town.
orcadigital
The original bleeder screw size is 7mm x 1.0. Napa Part # is 23928. a 27863 is 8mm x 1.0 and about the same length. Depending on how stripped out it is, it might be something you can just tap out and screw in since its the same thread pitch.

Good Luck!
VaccaRabite
A new rebuilt caliper is on its way to me. Eric Rocks!

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.