Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starting my 5 lug conversion.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
I've had a pair 3" strut housings in my garage at least 2 years now. I have the struts, hubs, calipers and caliper rebuild kits. I tried to do a search on the 3" spacing for the calipers and found a lot of stuff. All very interesting, some helpful, but not exactly what I was looking for.

I assume that my struts are pre-74. If I recall correctly, I can use my existing strut cartridge in them from my stock 914 front. How do I know if that's correct? What do I need to look for to determine that?

Where can I find an exploded diagram of the 911 front end, so I can make sure I have all of the bits that I need?

I have a ton more questions, but those will suffice to start.

Thanks in advance for your help with this.
jaxdream
I believe that your 914 strut should fit , just set them side by side , measure all the structural dimensions , cartrigde cap - external or internal threads . As far as a place to look for exploded diagrams , I use dcauto - dcauto.com- they have the systems broke down and pretty good diagrams , auto atlanta does the same for parts searches. Are you going to use 911 a arms with 911 torsion bars ?? Should be some what stiffer than 914 . Good hunting.

Jaxdream driving.gif
KaptKaos
Thanks Jaxdream. I'll look there.

I have the A-arms, and the T-bars that came with the struts. I'm not sure I want to switch. I need to consider it. If I do, I will need to weld on the u-tab for my 914-style sway bar. The A-Arms came with an underbody one, which I won't use.
jaxdream
I too have the 911 a arms that I am going to use , is the reason that I asked. I just cut off the under body swaytbs and gonna weld on u tabs , I got what appears to be an old tarret 19mm swat bar adustable arms that I plan on using. If you use the 911 torsion bars , you have to use the 911 a arms because of the difference in the splines on the ends of the bars, 914 are different than the 911 spline. Good luck!!!! piratenanner.gif

Jaxdream
KaptKaos
So I did some more leg work tonight.

Here are some lousy pictures:

Click to view attachment

These are the strut housings. I "think" that these will use my existing 914-4 strut. Can anyone tell? (I know the picture sucks, I htought I had it on macro, blah blah..)

Here is the bottom of the strut. Will this work with the stock 914-4 ball joints? Or is this one of those "while you're in there" things that I should just change the ball joint?

Click to view attachment

Lastly, here's a really lousy picture of some nuts and bolts. I have:

3x Brass banjo fittings.
3 x caliper to banjo bolts
10 x m8 nut/bolt/washer combos (not shown). Dunno what these are for.
2 x caliper to strut grade 8 bolts (need 2 more)
6 x strut to dust shield bolts.

Click to view attachment

I have another post coming with the diagrams to show what I have and/or what I am missing.

KaptKaos
Here's the diagrams:

This is the strut diagram. The red marks show what I'm pretty sure I have:

Click to view attachment

Here is the brake diagram. The blue shows what I need:

Click to view attachment

I have 10 of the m8 nut/bolt/washer combo but not sure what those are for. The diagrams at DC auto say I need them, but it doesn't say for what?!?!?
So.Cal.914
I have 10 of the m8 nut/bolt/washer combo but not sure what those are for. The diagrams at DC auto say I need them, but it doesn't say for what?!?!?

Thats a good Q Joe. I have been sitting here trying to think what you would use those for.
jaxdream
Ball joints are the same , but it's one of those I'm in here , might as well replace things , it all depends on the condition of what you have - is the rubber boot tore any ? are they loose in any way ?? Remember that if you are going to use the balljoints from the 914 a arms that they will have more weight and stresses put on them from the 911 parts not to mention the wheel tire combo you will eventually use- ball joints= money well spent and new pins are reasonable too. You are close to pelican parts so shipping would be reasonable too , I live close to AA and dc auto , so my ship charges are in line with the region I live in - shipping is part of the cost of parts also , there are no walkin Porshe parts places close , where I live .Just keep digging and trying to make some well informed purchases , like others here , I have bought parts that I will not use . In the course of gathering , my ideas and updates have changed , yours may also. You getting the front together , what about the rear ?? What type of brake setup , hub setup ?? Cv joint axle setup??Do you have a narrow body or flares ?? Keep up the hunt !!! piratenanner.gif

Jaxdream
craig downs
The 911 struts you have are the early pinch bolt type which require an early ball joint.
If your car is a 73 on which has a wedge pin you will need to get the early ball joint.
KaptKaos
Here's what's on the car already:

Turbo Tie Rods
19mm Brake Master
SS lines.

Wheels will be 15x6 "flat-6" fuchs. Body will stay narrow.

I am not ready to contemplate the rear setup yet. Likely I will keep that as simple and cheap as possible. Open to suggestions, but not yet.

I want to rebuild the calipers this week. I think I should be able to get all the parts together to swap out the front end in one night.
KaptKaos
Cleaned up the struts tonight and found the part number on the strut. They say 914 341 091 00 and 914 341 092 00.

I just looked them up and I have 914-6 front struts!! smilie_pokal.gif

Um... Is that a good thing?
KaptKaos
Also, how do I tell which calipers I have? They have 3 inch spacing, but I want to make sure i Know which ones I have and which rebuild kits I need.
Sleepin
Send a pic to Eric. Worked for me Joe...
KaptKaos
Thanks Eric. Not a bad idea.

BTW: looks like you all had fun on the Rt66 run.
Sleepin
Not this Eric, that Eric, no Eric... laugh.gif
KaptKaos
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Mar 25 2009, 09:59 PM) *

Not this Eric, that Eric, no Eric... laugh.gif

I know, I know. LOL

Actually this post is for Eric Shea, and hopefully he can help me out.

Here are the calipers that I have. I got them with the aforementioned 914-6 struts. They are steel and have 3" spacing.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

(continued next post)
KaptKaos
Click to view attachment

So my questions are:

1) Which rebuild kit do I need for these? I have 2 kits with the 901 351 964 11 part number on them. Not sure if that's correct.

2) Which rotor can I run with these? Obviously, I'd like to run vented rotors up front. But with these struts being 914-6ers, I am concerned that the calipers are too and therefor I am looking at a solid rotor.

Any/all help appreciated.
charliew
You could look up the strut insert for your 914 and it usually shows if it also will fit the 911 at least thats what I did on my bilsteins that fit the 911 boge struts I have. In my case I had to get the different caps to hold the larger shafts of the bilstein struts. I started a thread on it awhile back.
KaptKaos
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Upon closer inspection, the calipers look to be in very good shape and not in need of a rebuild at this time.

Cleaned them out with some alcohol and compressed air. The pistons move nicely. Put some dot3 back in, and sealed them up. Ready to go.

Next: Ball joints. I need to get some of the old style joints to work with my struts. Bummer, but it's a while you're in there job.

So all I need now are 2 caliper bolts, ball joints, inner and outer bearings, rotors and pads and I think my front will be ready to rock and roll!!!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Mar 23 2009, 08:44 PM) *

So I did some more leg work tonight.

Here are some lousy pictures:

Click to view attachment

These are the strut housings. I "think" that these will use my existing 914-4 strut. Can anyone tell? (I know the picture sucks, I htought I had it on macro, blah blah..)

Here is the bottom of the strut. Will this work with the stock 914-4 ball joints? Or is this one of those "while you're in there" things that I should just change the ball joint?

Click to view attachment

Lastly, here's a really lousy picture of some nuts and bolts. I have:

3x Brass banjo fittings.
3 x caliper to banjo bolts
10 x m8 nut/bolt/washer combos (not shown). Dunno what these are for.
2 x caliper to strut grade 8 bolts (need 2 more)
6 x strut to dust shield bolts.

Click to view attachment

I have another post coming with the diagrams to show what I have and/or what I am missing.

Damn! So that is what happened to Andy's old camera... You get it cheap Joe? lol-2.gif
KaptKaos
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 26 2009, 09:54 PM) *

Damn! So that is what happened to Andy's old camera... You get it cheap Joe? lol-2.gif

I deserve that. headbang.gif Thanks Rob.

It's actually my wife's camera and it's a decent one (Canon). The problem is that I have no clue how to work the damn thing. av-943.gif
jaxdream
QUOTE(jaxdream @ Mar 24 2009, 05:31 AM) *

Ball joints are the same , but it's one of those I'm in here , might as well replace things , it all depends on the condition of what you have - is the rubber boot tore any ? are they loose in any way ?? Remember that if you are going to use the balljoints from the 914 a arms that they will have more weight and stresses put on them from the 911 parts not to mention the wheel tire combo you will eventually use- ball joints= money well spent and new pins are reasonable too. You are close to pelican parts so shipping would be reasonable too , I live close to AA and dc auto , so my ship charges are in line with the region I live in - shipping is part of the cost of parts also , there are no walkin Porshe parts places close , where I live .Just keep digging and trying to make some well informed purchases , like others here , I have bought parts that I will not use . In the course of gathering , my ideas and updates have changed , yours may also. You getting the front together , what about the rear ?? What type of brake setup , hub setup ?? Cv joint axle setup??Do you have a narrow body or flares ?? Keep up the hunt !!! piratenanner.gif

Jaxdream

OOpps !! My bad I didn't look at the bottom of the strut in the pic . headbang.gif
Jaxdream
ConeDodger
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Mar 26 2009, 10:44 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 26 2009, 09:54 PM) *

I deserve that. headbang.gif Thanks Rob.

It's actually my wife's camera and it's a decent one (Canon). The problem is that I have no clue how to work the damn thing. av-943.gif

Look for a setting on the body that says AF/MF. I think you have it set for manual focus and in that low light you will have a hard time setting it. Nice project though. What wheels are you going to use Joe?
KaptKaos
15x6 Flat Fuchs biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Mar 27 2009, 06:12 AM) *

15x6 Flat Fuchs biggrin.gif

mmmm... sexy old school. Nice. Whenever I see them on a 914 I have to check and make sure it isn't a real six.
KaptKaos
So I blasted, primed and painted my struts. Here's the blurry evidence:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I think all that I need are:

Inner bearings
Outer bearings
Rotors
pads
ball joints & pins
2 x caliper bolts (caliper to strut)

and to figure out how the hard lines need to connect to the calipers and my fronts are done!! (I think)
jaxdream
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Mar 23 2009, 08:47 PM) *

Here's the diagrams:

This is the strut diagram. The red marks show what I'm pretty sure I have:

Click to view attachment

Here is the brake diagram. The blue shows what I need:

Click to view attachment

They bolt the rotor to the hub check fitment if you have rotor and hub.
Jaxdream
KaptKaos
QUOTE(jaxdream @ Mar 30 2009, 05:52 AM) *

QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Mar 23 2009, 08:47 PM) *

They bolt the rotor to the hub check fitment if you have rotor and hub.
Jaxdream

LOL

Yeah, found this out last week when I was helping a friend replace the rotors and pads on his 911SC. Funny how seeing everything in place clarifies things. biggrin.gif
KaptKaos
Can anyone confirm the part number for the early ball joints that I need. I have it as:

901-341-049-00-M69

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Joe
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.