Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tire recommendations
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bembry
I need some help picking tires. I've got a 73 2.0 that's getting a 2056 built, with dual Weber 40s and stock exhaust.

Other than the engine, the car is to be fairly original. I've located and bought some 2 liter Fuchs to replace DAPO's Riverias.

After reading and searching the forums about tire fit, I've decided to get 195/60-15s. I don't want to bother with possible rubbing or bulging sidewalls on 205s, and 50's look too short for my tastes.

The car will be a fair-weather driver, and I'm importing it from CA to Stuttgart, Germany. I drive agressively, but don't autocross.

My questions concern the myriad of choices for tires. I have been looking on Tirerack.com, where I've bought tires before for the wife's car with very good results. The tires I've looked at for the 914 basically fall between various summer performance tires, and various all-season performance tires. I guess the obvious tires would be the summer ones, right, or wrong?

Also, I've been looking at the lower end of the pricing spectrum. There seem to be several decently priced tires that are rated well on the online surveys.

The tires that caught my eye are:

Fuzion HRi, PHigh erformance all-seasons for $48 oer tire.
Sumitomo HTR 200 High Performance Summers, $52 per tire
Sumitomo HTR H4 High Performance All Seasons, $56 per tire
Kumho Ecsta ASX Ultra High Perf. All Seasons, $58 per tire
Goodyear Eagle GT, Ultra High Perf All Seasons, $64 per tire
Yokohama Avid T4, Performance All Seasons, $64 per tire

All are rated over "7", as "probably would buy again" by customers.

What are folk's thoughts on these? Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance! beerchug.gif

carr914
You won't like the YOKO Avids - too much a sedan tire

I didn't like the Kumho's - didn't last very long.

Look for Dunlop Direzza's in your size - great tire for the money

T.C.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
195/65x15 NOT 60s!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(bembry @ Mar 23 2009, 02:56 PM) *

I need some help picking tires. I've got a 73 2.0 that's getting a 2056 built, with dual Weber 40s and stock exhaust.

Other than the engine, the car is to be fairly original. I've located and bought some 2 liter Fuchs to replace DAPO's Riverias.

After reading and searching the forums about tire fit, I've decided to get 195/60-15s. I don't want to bother with possible rubbing or bulging sidewalls on 205s, and 50's look too short for my tastes.

The car will be a fair-weather driver, and I'm importing it from CA to Stuttgart, Germany. I drive agressively, but don't autocross.

My questions concern the myriad of choices for tires. I have been looking on Tirerack.com, where I've bought tires before for the wife's car with very good results. The tires I've looked at for the 914 basically fall between various summer performance tires, and various all-season performance tires. I guess the obvious tires would be the summer ones, right, or wrong?

Also, I've been looking at the lower end of the pricing spectrum. There seem to be several decently priced tires that are rated well on the online surveys.

Just put a set on mine. Kumho Ecsta ASX's 195/60R15. Love um!

Click to view attachment
benalishhero
I run Nokia NRH's

Nice and sticky!
QUOTE(benalishhero @ Mar 23 2009, 03:46 PM) *

I run Nokia NRH's

Nice and sticky!

Nokia makes tires now? blink.gif
benalishhero
Nokian

missed the N
QUOTE(benalishhero @ Mar 23 2009, 03:49 PM) *

Nokian

missed the N

Just messing with ya. Never heard of them until now. Googled them... look great.
benalishhero
wear rating could be better but you can't have it both ways.
underthetire
I have Falken 195/60's. I like them a lot.
Drums66
I run the Pirelli P5,P6's......been happy with
them! seems the longevity is very good with
that brand.....I think tire rack sells them also. shades.gif
195/60-15's(strictly street)
PeeGreen 914
I out of that list I like the Toyo RA1s or R888s. huh.gif Oh, those aren't on the list? Well, that's my choice and I love them beerchug.gif
jcambo7
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Mar 23 2009, 06:30 PM) *

I out of that list I like the Toyo RA1s or R888s. huh.gif Oh, those aren't on the list? Well, that's my choice and I love them beerchug.gif

Need some glassees Jonny? poke.gif av-943.gif drunk.gif
smg914
Stay away from the Sumitomo HTR 200 tires. They do not work on a Porsche. Very flexible sidewall that makes the car extremely difficult to keep it in your own lane above 50 mph. I literally had to fight the steering wheel to keep the car (1972 911) in my lane. Had an alignment done twice to no avail. I replaced the brand new 195/65HR15 Sumitomo's with 185/70HR15 Vredestein Sprint Classic tires and it cured the problem. The car drove straight as an arrow with the Vredestein's.
QUOTE(smg914 @ Mar 23 2009, 08:05 PM) *

Stay away from the Sumitomo HTR 200 tires. They do not work on a Porsche. Very flexible sidewall that makes the car extremely difficult to keep it in your own lane above 50 mph. I literally had to fight the steering wheel to keep the car (1972 911) in my lane. Had an alignment done twice to no avail. I replaced the brand new 195/65HR15 Sumitomo's with 185/70HR15 Vredestein Sprint Classic tires and it cured the problem. The car drove straight as an arrow with the Vredestein's.

LMAO! av-943.gif Had that same problem with a set of cheap Pep Boy tires. Thought I was going crazy.
johnnie5
I see that Eagle GT's are on your list. I was recently up against the same decision, and chose those in 195 60's. Having never tried them before, I am actually extremely pleased with my choice. They stick very well, have a decent life expectancy, and are asymmetrical (and quiet). Although I do not plan on much wet weather driving, most of the reviews rate them as an exceptional all weather tire.

All around great performance for the $$$. My two pennies...
SGB
I've used up tires on two cars-
Just replaced some Sumitomos (didn't note the flex, but they were dif size on a BMW) that burned up quick with Nitto neo-gen (I think) s'posed to be fer lowered cars. It does have a goofy asymmetrical tread too, but even specific to what goes outside- no more remounting if it wears unevenly! I put them on tonight. no driving AT ALL yet.

Also, the Kumhos are about burnt up on the 914 from my drive to Sebring and back (whew!- 1390 total miles for the trip).

I'm trying to get some Continental extreme-contact. Might be able to get 'em at cost. I dunno if they are anything to crow about, but cheap is good. That also is not done yet, so I guess theres more to come...
mojorisen914

IMO, Eagle GT's have always been a good tire. Just my $.02 worth.
Lavanaut
QUOTE(johnnie5 @ Mar 23 2009, 08:32 PM) *

I see that Eagle GT's are on your list. I was recently up against the same decision, and chose those in 195 60's. Having never tried them before, I am actually extremely pleased with my choice.

agree.gif I put some on my six last fall and really like them. Now whether or not all season tires are right for you is, of course, a function of whether or not you intend to take the car out in inclement weather. Me? I don't even take my car out when it's cloudy these days biggrin.gif but I have been caught on longer drives in the rain and I like having a little extra safety on my side in those situations. And honestly the Eagle GTs don't perform like I expected an "all season" tire to perform...very pleasantly surprised.

Here're some details and pics.

Let us know what you decide, and good luck!
bembry
QUOTE(bembry @ Mar 23 2009, 01:56 PM) *

Thanks for all the replies. Also, I didn't mean to make my list all inclusive: If anyone has a tire recommendation I didn't list, from tirerack.com or any other tire mail order place that I didn't list, I'm all ears! piratenanner.gif

Also, George: 195/65 -15s? That kind of seemed like an oddball size, but if I can get them and they look and perform good, that's great with me. Anyone else running 195/65's?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
this is the size that duplicates the height of the original 165 15 while giving a fatter footprint. 195 60 are too low making the car more prone to bottoming out and the speedo to read high and the top speed cut. Also more prone to wheel damage.

QUOTE(bembry @ Mar 24 2009, 10:51 AM) *

QUOTE(bembry @ Mar 23 2009, 01:56 PM) *

Thanks for all the replies. Also, I didn't mean to make my list all inclusive: If anyone has a tire recommendation I didn't list, from tirerack.com or any other tire mail order place that I didn't list, I'm all ears! piratenanner.gif

Also, George: 195/65 -15s? That kind of seemed like an oddball size, but if I can get them and they look and perform good, that's great with me. Anyone else running 195/65's?

johnnie5
I considered 195 65's, as this size is consistant with the stock size as far as diameter is concerned. However, a 195 60 is less than 5% smaller diameter from stock, which equates to a speedo change of less than 3 mph at 60 mph. As far as being more prown to bottoming out or wheel damage, its just not the case. I have an incline going into my garage and had a harder time not scraping my pan with stock tires vs. Eagle GT 195 60's (go figure). Also, you will get a little more of a firm ride with 60's vs. 65's (not much), which equates to a little less tire flex and better cornering/handling. Furthermore, if you happen to have noticed in the pics provided of the Eagle GT, this specific tire actually 'protrudes' from the edge of the wheel just slightly outward, which serves as great protection against curb rash for those of you whose depth perception may be questionable.
Drums66
QUOTE(johnnie5 @ Mar 24 2009, 01:24 PM) *

I considered 195 65's, as this size is consistant with the stock size as far as diameter is concerned. However, a 195 60 is less than 5% smaller diameter from stock, which equates to a speedo change of less than 3 mph at 60 mph. As far as being more prown to bottoming out or wheel damage, its just not the case. I have an incline going into my garage and had a harder time not scraping my pan with stock tires vs. Eagle GT 195 60's (go figure). Also, you will get a little more of a firm ride with 60's vs. 65's (not much), which equates to a little less tire flex and better cornering/handling. Furthermore, if you happen to have noticed in the pics provided of the Eagle GT, this specific tire actually 'protrudes' from the edge of the wheel just slightly outward, which serves as great protection against curb rash for those of you whose depth perception may be questionable.

I hate to go against George.......But I agree with you agree.gif
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif....and I've never never bottomed out!!!!or wheel damage.
good shocks maybe!
Lavanaut
As far as being more prown to bottoming out or wheel damage, its just not the case

Despite what you think you experienced, all other factors being equal you have less clearance the with the smaller tires ~ it's not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of...well, fact. smile.gif Having said that, I have 60s on my car and have never bottomed out. You may be more prone than with 65s, but barely!

edit: 9.75mm less clearance with the 60s. Not much concern there. wink.gif
johnnie5
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Mar 24 2009, 04:31 PM) *

As far as being more prown to bottoming out or wheel damage, its just not the case

Despite what you think you experienced, all other factors being equal you have less clearance the with the smaller tires ~ it's not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of...well, fact. smile.gif Having said that, I have 60s on my car and have never bottomed out. You may be more prone than with 65s, but barely!

edit: 9.75mm less clearance with the 60s. Not much concern there. wink.gif

Ahhhh.... there IS an obvious variable I did not consider, come to think of it. When I did my 5 lug conversion, I changed my shocks and springs. I stayed with the same rate of spring, but old to new MAY have raised the ass a smidgen. Hence the term, "go figure". smoke.gif

But 9.75 mm less clearance is truly minimal, and I don't think it would present ANY type of issue from one height to the lesser.... that wasn't already a problem to begin with.
dw914er
just bought the nitto neo gen tires for my car

so far I like them alot

for high performance, the dunlop direzza Star Spec (summer high performance) are supposedly very good tires. I was gonna get the dz101 direzzas but big o fucked my order, and the nittos are the same price and same class so we'll see
Dave_Darling
I've put both of the Sumitomos on my Honda.

My verdict on them: Meh.

The HTRZ tires were unspectacular. The grip was OK but not great, they lasted OK but not great, they were a bit noisy but not real loud.

The HTR-200 are also not that grippy, but I bought them because I have read that they have fairly low rolling resistance, which helps the fuel economy that is my current aim in the Honda.

I doubt I would bother with either one on a 914, but I a willing to sacrifice a lot for dry-weather grip in a 914. smile.gif My Falken Azenis tires are just fine for me! And I may go with even grippier ones next time...

--DD
gothspeed
QUOTE(johnnie5 @ Mar 24 2009, 01:24 PM) *

I used 195/60 - 15 on my old creamsicle and it looked and handled great!. I think that is the perfect combo for stock wheels smile.gif
slackin' at work
I just had my second set of 185/65R-15 Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole
Position mounted today. love them!

sold my last set with my 2 liter fuchs. bought another set for my pedrinnis.
I find the size a nice fit between original and performance.

considered ultra high performance all seasons. pretty cheap too. beer3.gif

IPB Image

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.