Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thoughts on ageing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pages: 1, 2
Pat Garvey
I bring this thread up on this forum because it's the forum I came to originally.

We, who have owned these beasts for many years (37 in my case) must reach a point where we have to consider moving on. Not all, but I personally am having questions about this.

I bring this up here because I am a CW & will always be.

But, I have been thinking lately (six months or so) - is it time to put 2 nice cars into someone else's responsibility?

I keep buying new parts, but never get around to installing them. Hell, I don't even need them!

But, in the last year my interest is wanning. I don't have the physical capabilities to do what I used to, and I won't pay someone else to do what I KNOW how to do. I also have other interests, namely model railroading, which I've been involved in since before Porsches (do I sound like Jon Lowe?).

I also don't have the urgency to do anything on the Porsches. I just don't think I care anymore, at least not enough. Used to be, when the garage temp rose above 50, I was there. Not any more.

So, I'm asking for some opinions here. I will take all of them seriously.

Should I get out? I'm inclined to do so. Can something re-awake the fire? I wonder.

Your opinions are appreciated & welcomed. I'm on the brink.
tod914
Pat come up to the Zone 1 this year in May. Maybe that will rekindle some of the spark your looking for. How about taking it out for a long drive. Just had mine out the past two days. Lots of fun. When they are just sitting there collecting dust, the interest's goes else where. Drive it and enjoy it. I was getting burned out on working on them too. But now that's it's on the road, it's worth the effort. If it's any consolation, I'm limited what I can do as well, due to a bad back and neck injury. I still work on it, just takes me 10x longer than most hehe. 2 hour drive is tops for me. So don't let it go yet Pat. When you can't drive it anymore, then consider it. Will be in better care with you than with most new owners wink.gif.
Was also thinking about taking a break from 914's and trying something else. Maybe a Lotus Esprit, 240z, or TR6.
dlestep
...I believe that you are near my age...I was born in 1949.
Porsches have been in my blood since about 1960...but at the core, I've also had the itch for Alfas, since about the same time.
I have a 72 911 I drove for 12 years sitting in front of the garage as my next project, maybe not.

I'm blowin out money left and right to complete my car by August. I told my wife I either get it running or sell it. I have placed all the little things that matter to me into it. I'm looking for an overall feel to the car.
I too went through what you feel about two years ago. I felt like purging everything, to peel back the dead skin like the layers of an onion, until a new raw need would be exposed. A heart attack, last September cleared my views somewhat, and I decided to complete it. Whether it fulfills some need or not won't be known until I fire this baby up. I recently had a veiw of what I was missing when I drove my friends' 300 hp Audi TT. I want to finish it for sure now. I may not have 300 hp, 190-210 will do me just fine. 300 HP will beat me on straights but I will be all over its' ass by the exit of the second turn.
I have sacrificed alot of my own needs because of my kids and stuff. It's my turn now and whatever I want, if I can afford it, I plan to simply do it.
My new motto is GO FOR IT.
I guess that this is a long winded way to say, whatever you feel you want, focus on it, to hell with everyone else. Build a train, build a 550 replica, or whatever.
When I returned to CONUS while in the military, I asked myself, what is it that I've always wanted to do. I said, I've always wanted to scuba dive.
I became a Divemaster, carried NAUI and PADI.
Desire...passion...sometimes is hidden away...go find it....
Dave
TJB/914
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 23 2009, 05:25 PM) *

I bring this thread up on this forum because it's the forum I came to originally.

We, who have owned these beasts for many years (37 in my case) must reach a point where we have to consider moving on. Not all, but I personally am having questions about this.

But, I have been thinking lately (six months or so) - is it time to put 2 nice cars into someone else's responsibility?

I keep buying new parts, but never get around to installing them. Hell, I don't even need them!

But, in the last year my interest is wanning. I don't have the physical capabilities to do what I used to, and I won't pay someone else to do what I KNOW how to do. I also have other interests, namely model railroading, which I've been involved in since before Porsches (do I sound like Jon Lowe?).

I also don't have the urgency to do anything on the Porsches. I just don't think I care anymore, at least not enough. Used to be, when the garage temp rose above 50, I was there. Not any more.

Should I get out? I'm inclined to do so. Can something re-awake the fire? I wonder.

Hi Pat,

I have the answer!!! Change the thoughts in your head, forget your CW past and start enjoying your 914. You spend too much time thinking you need to keep the car in museum condition. In the big picture no one really cares what condition your 914 will be like in 10-years. Enjoy it and don't worry about getting it dirty or a little road grime on it. It's all in you head my friend. popcorn[1].gif

Now having said this, I hope your still my best 914 buddy. Life is short, so stop worrying about the little things. Follow in my foot steps and drill (3) holes in the rear trunk area and install a fog light like mine. lol-2.gif rolleyes.gif It feels good. stirthepot.gif

Your buddy, I mean it.

Tom bye1.gif
MDG
Pat, I certainly don't know you at all and yet for the year plus that I surfed this site before I joined I've read many of your posts. Both the passion and commitment you have to your car, and 914s in general, is obvious.

Ultimately the right choice is the one which will make you happiest. But, for what its worth, here's my 2 cents (well, mine are Canadian so I'll give you a dime); for most of your ownership much of your joy has come from maintaining your car to show standards. And you've loved it. So now maybe you have neither the time nor inclination to continue that path. Nothing wrong with that.

You don't owe your car a thing; from where I sit it owes you. So why not just enjoy it for awhile for what it is. Go drive the hell out of it for the summer. Screw the rain. The odd stone chip? Pfft! Let it pay you back for all your hard work.

Then, if the joy just ain't there, sell it to someone you're comfortable with and enjoy the memories.

m.
6freak
Do what makes you happy and your family happy and dont worrie about what we think.As long as your here to keep use all strait and giving your great input and advise.Im good with that!I got my car from a dear friend of mine that was older and tired of wrenching on it.He now drives a car hes wanted for many years and is very happy with it .He see` my car(or his) all the time when he comes over for B-days and holidays and he knows all he has todo is ask for the keys to go for a spin (instant grin from him) and thats all he needs he know its got a good home and its not a bad trade for a day when i get to drive a new Z06..so do what you need to do............you know whats best and youve earned the right to jump ship if you see fit....Best wishes in whatever you do
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I too of course have made a lifetime commitment to the 914 and will NEVER be without one. One of the things that continues to rekindle my interest is owning and enjoying a different kind of car. Those other cars make me look back at the 914 and actually appreciate it much more, as some say "variety is the spice of life"

The car shows always do it because it gives one the opportunity to reflect upon the cleanliness and perfection of the 914 and try to bring it to the next higher level, enjoying the pickiness of perfection. I always find SOMETHING that I really enjoy improving, or that special part to search for that just makes the car so much more special to me.
I am just a 914 kind of guy and that commitment has changed and conditioned my life to be what I am (good or bad!!!!)
Pat I could just not imagine you without a 914 even if it is only a car in your garage that you occasionally remove the cover and wink at! The car has been part of your life and needs to continue to be. (just look at the car and remember the last twenty plus years of your life!!)
SirAndy

When is it time to call it quits?

I'd say a week or two after you're dead ... biggrin.gif

But then again, compared to you, i'm still young, so i don't really know what i'm talking about.

I'm just glad to see some of the "old folks" around here. Makes me feel better about growing old.

It would be sad to see you leave us ...
beerchug.gif Andy
Sarastro
Interesting.

You have owned a car for 37 years and only now want to dispose of it.

I should speculate that if indeed you let this car go now (the 914), there will come a time when you regret it.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I made a bad mistake like this when in 1987 I sold my dads original paint pristine (but higher mile) buick riviera. Thought that totally involved with Porsche I had no business with a Riviera even though I went down to the dealer with him in May of 1964. Even had the factory plaque "Riviera made expressly for G A Hussey (dad and I had the same name) My reasoning was that the engine was worn out and I could not make the brakes right no matter how hard I tried, and for the price I was getting could buy a 65 (which I liked better) with air conditioning. Long story short within a year I missed the car bought my 65 put a lot of money in it (much more that the money for which my Dad's car sold) and no longer had the family car.
Years later (2001) I was lucky when the dilapidated car showed up here at Automobile Atlanta with a rebuilt engine and I bought it back for 3500, but then had to spend 30 on the car to bring it up to my standards.
The moral of the story is that when you have a long history with a car it becomes a very personal thing and it should NEVER be sold as it is part of your life. My family Rivera is proudly in the Garage with a flannel cover over it, I have the original window sticker the original bill of sale from the Buick dealer to my dad, many family pictures from when I was 12 featuring the car, and that factory plaque is still proudly displayed on the dash. Wish I had a 914 with that intimate history!!!!!!

PAT ARE YOU READING?????
TJB/914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 24 2009, 01:32 PM) *

I made a bad mistake like this when in 1987 I sold my dads original paint pristine (but higher mile) buick riviera. Thought that totally involved with Porsche I had no business with a Riviera even though I went down to the dealer with him in May of 1964. Even had the factory plaque "Riviera made expressly for G A Hussey (dad and I had the same name) My reasoning was that the engine was worn out and I could not make the brakes right no matter how hard I tried, and for the price I was getting could buy a 65 (which I liked better) with air conditioning. Long story short within a year I missed the car bought my 65 put a lot of money in it (much more that the money for which my Dad's car sold) and no longer had the family car.
Years later (2001) I was lucky when the dilapidated car showed up here at Automobile Atlanta with a rebuilt engine and I bought it back for 3500, but then had to spend 30 on the car to bring it up to my standards.
The moral of the story is that when you have a long history with a car it becomes a very personal thing and it should NEVER be sold as it is part of your life. My family Rivera is proudly in the Garage with a flannel cover over it, I have the original window sticker the original bill of sale from the Buick dealer to my dad, many family pictures from when I was 12 featuring the car, and that factory plaque is still proudly displayed on the dash. Wish I had a 914 with that intimate history!!!!!!

PAT ARE YOU READING?????

George I am touched by your message & hope Pat is listening.

I too have a story to tell & it hangs heavy on my heart. I can't begain to shout loud enough, don't sell it. Let the family dispose of it when you leave this earth. As a kid I was into 1939 FORDS & my 1st. Conv. Cpe (see pic, chopped top & behind the garage) I sold in a weak moment. I vowed to myself to get another. The 2nd 1939 Conv. Cpe. (see photo) came along when my first child (my son Tom) was born. The night he was born I called friends to tell them I was a dad. One friend had a 39 conv. Cpe I lusted after & when I called him to give the news of our first born, he said he was putting his car on the market and if I wanted it say so right now, because there was a waiting list. That night I visited my wife in the hospital & we were holding young Tom and I told my wife I bought him a present. She said what??? It's a 1939 FORD Conv. Cpe. she was too tired to say no & that car was with me over 30-years. Again in a weak moment I sold it and till this day my heart is heavy. My son told me later in life, why did I sell it, he wanted to inherit it. If only I had known!!! BTW: The grandkids get my 914, not sure which one yet.

Pat, we are concerned about you!!! Don't sell & stay on course.

Tom, your 914 buddy.

dlestep
...I have a picture of my daughter standing in the drivers' seat and holding onto the steering wheel of my 73. She was 2 years old then.
I bought the 74 in 1995, when she was 5 years old.
I have pictures of her at 12 years old, helping me clean the engine bay, preparing the rear wheel wells and recently cleaning the firewall inside the passenger compartment with the wire wheel. She's always talking about "when we drive this...or "when we go there"...it's about just the two of us and the 74 914. She's 17 years old now and anxious as I am to get it finished (within the next three or four months). She also talks about helping me prepare the body for primer and paint, and says..."it's finally almost done!"
She once said, a couple of years ago, you'll probably finish it when I get my drivers license. Well, she was correct. Most likely, the car will be hers someday.
Probably sooner than later....Dave
Racer
My dad has owned his "6" since 1970. He's never thought of selling it. He's owned many other Porsches over the years but his six will not be sold. His interests have been varied over the years.. still he kept it. He may not have driven it at all some years, other than to top off the gas tank and put air in the tires.. other years he enjoyed it so much he wondered why he didn't drive it more. These things should ebb and flow a bit.

It sounds to me that if your desire is currently waning, put the cover back over it and let it sit. You won't be happy selling it because you have way too much emotion connected to owning it for so long. No other owner will be "worthy" enough. This car could (should?) become some other generations "barn find" should you somehow forget about the car or pass on. Keep it!
Pat Garvey
I appreciate all the comments thus far - I REALLY do! But nothing seems to incite me.

There are 3 basic problems here:

1. Lacking current interest.
2. I can on my creeper easilly enough, but getting off of it is almost embarassing.
3. Eyes (and this is the worst). Have aproblem with serious floaters for the last 2 years. Not debillitating, but close. I've said this before & this is just what it's like - watch an open wheeled race on TV. All cars have cameras. When the lens gets full of crud, they wipe it - goes away for a few laps. With me, it's like they wipe it backwards, bringing all the crud back in. Optho says "it's part of ageing" and there are things that CAN be attempted, but can result in total blindness if they don't work. Believe me, this is the biggest bummer, which causes me to think it's time to move on.

Haven't come to total grips with this, but it does give me concern.

I'll respond to some/all of you also.
Pat
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Mar 23 2009, 08:04 PM) *

Pat come up to the Zone 1 this year in May. Maybe that will rekindle some of the spark your looking for. How about taking it out for a long drive. Just had mine out the past two days. Lots of fun. When they are just sitting there collecting dust, the interest's goes else where. Drive it and enjoy it. I was getting burned out on working on them too. But now that's it's on the road, it's worth the effort. If it's any consolation, I'm limited what I can do as well, due to a bad back and neck injury. I still work on it, just takes me 10x longer than most hehe. 2 hour drive is tops for me. So don't let it go yet Pat. When you can't drive it anymore, then consider it. Will be in better care with you than with most new owners wink.gif.
Was also thinking about taking a break from 914's and trying something else. Maybe a Lotus Esprit, 240z, or TR6.

You make a good point, though the Prince of Darkness (Lucas electrics) scares me.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(dlestep @ Mar 23 2009, 08:38 PM) *

...I believe that you are near my age...I was born in 1949.
Porsches have been in my blood since about 1960...but at the core, I've also had the itch for Alfas, since about the same time.
I have a 72 911 I drove for 12 years sitting in front of the garage as my next project, maybe not.

I'm blowin out money left and right to complete my car by August. I told my wife I either get it running or sell it. I have placed all the little things that matter to me into it. I'm looking for an overall feel to the car.
I too went through what you feel about two years ago. I felt like purging everything, to peel back the dead skin like the layers of an onion, until a new raw need would be exposed. A heart attack, last September cleared my views somewhat, and I decided to complete it. Whether it fulfills some need or not won't be known until I fire this baby up. I recently had a veiw of what I was missing when I drove my friends' 300 hp Audi TT. I want to finish it for sure now. I may not have 300 hp, 190-210 will do me just fine. 300 HP will beat me on straights but I will be all over its' ass by the exit of the second turn.
I have sacrificed alot of my own needs because of my kids and stuff. It's my turn now and whatever I want, if I can afford it, I plan to simply do it.
My new motto is GO FOR IT.
I guess that this is a long winded way to say, whatever you feel you want, focus on it, to hell with everyone else. Build a train, build a 550 replica, or whatever.
When I returned to CONUS while in the military, I asked myself, what is it that I've always wanted to do. I said, I've always wanted to scuba dive.
I became a Divemaster, carried NAUI and PADI.
Desire...passion...sometimes is hidden away...go find it....
Dave

Dude, the passion is there. Just not certain where. Right now, it isn't 914 passion. Not early 911 pssion either.

I haven't sacrificed anything, because we couldn't have kids. I also haven't had a heart attack. Hope you are well - TRUELY.
Pat
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Mar 23 2009, 08:40 PM) *

Hi Pat,

I have the answer!!! Change the thoughts in your head, forget your CW past and start enjoying your 914. You spend too much time thinking you need to keep the car in museum condition. In the big picture no one really cares what condition your 914 will be like in 10-years. Enjoy it and don't worry about getting it dirty or a little road grime on it. It's all in you head my friend. popcorn[1].gif

Now having said this, I hope your still my best 914 buddy. Life is short, so stop worrying about the little things. Follow in my foot steps and drill (3) holes in the rear trunk area and install a fog light like mine. lol-2.gif rolleyes.gif It feels good. stirthepot.gif

Your buddy, I mean it.

Tom bye1.gif

Tom, Tom, Tom - you haven't gotten it yet. I can't drill a hole, or even several, in my car - it wouldn't be original. And I'm certain the bit would slip. Oh, and please don't take thins the wrong way, but those rear fogs are ugly (JUST MY opinion).

Now, for what it's worth, I HAVE gone beyond the anal phase. I no longer care if me 914 is caught in the rain. I no longer care if it picks up a rock (shudder).

I do care about it getting off of jackstands & being driven.

Pat
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 24 2009, 11:47 AM) *

When is it time to call it quits?

I'd say a week or two after you're dead ... biggrin.gif

But then again, compared to you, i'm still young, so i don't really know what i'm talking about.

I'm just glad to see some of the "old folks" around here. Makes me feel better about growing old.

It would be sad to see you leave us ...
beerchug.gif Andy

You know Andy, I don't know how to say "rapscallion" in German - but you meet the description.

You guys & rsponses are beginning ti re-inspire me, but we'll see.
Pat
SirAndy
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 24 2009, 06:44 PM) *

You know Andy, I don't know how to say "rapscallion" in German - but you meet the description.

http://dict.leo.org/?lp=ende&search=rapscallion

beerchug.gif Andy
tod914
Pat ever thought of putting the car on loan in an auto museum? While it's out, it would give you time to think about how much you miss or don't miss haveing it around.
rjames
The moral of the story is that when you have a long history with a car it becomes a very personal thing and it should NEVER be sold as it is part of your life.

Ah hell. Sounds like it owns you, which I totally understand. I have three hobbies that own me much of the time. I am fairly young (at least in my head) at 40, and still have a passion for all of them, so that's ok. But the moment I don't have that passion, or the moment that I feel they are keeping me from really enjoying my life, I really hope I'll have the strength to let go of them. If I can do it I think it will be very freeing, actually.

Pat, I don't know you, but I've seen another fairly recent post from you pretty much asking the same question you're asking now. Sounds to me like your asking a question that you already know the answer to, but can't bring yourself to admit it, so you're hoping one of us will talk you into it. Listen to your inner voice, and do what your afraid to do. Inner voices usually know what's best for us.

Besides, if you regret your decision, there's plenty of 914s out there you could buy if you really wanted another one.

Either way, I hope you stay a regular here.

Best of luck with your decision. smile.gif
Porsche Rescue
I too am of the age.....born 1941. I too have recently acquired floaters (likely not as bad as yours yet, but my doc. says "part of aging and everyone who lives long enough will enjoy them"). I too have lost a good deal of my interest in my Porsche habit which began in 1968. I sold all my old Porsches a year ago and was going to live with two cars like a normal person. That lasted 4 months. Then a one-owner 914 appeared on Craigs list. It needs some TLC which I am appoaching at a far slower pace than in the past. But it is in the garage and I play and drive when the mood strikes (kind of like sex at my age). Excuse my amateur attempt at psychology Pat, but it sounds to me like you are wrestling with the issues of age rather than your cars. Relax, let it come naturally. I doubt you need the cash from your cars all that much. Enjoy them as you feel like it. And remember, as I try to, enjoy each day to the fullest.
carr914
Hi Pat, I've owned a lot of cars and have never regretted selling any of them, but I never have owned a car over 14 years, most a year or two. I now have a Factory 914-6 that I never intend to get rid of.

I have regretted seeing my friends let cars go. I about cried when Steve (smg914) let his 914-6 that he & Janie had owned for 34 years, go. He was buying his M-471GT and his long-time 6 went to a friend, but the history Steve & Janie had in that car is not replaceable.

I like the idea of loaning your car to a Museum - it would be safe and still be yours.

T.C.
JeffBowlsby
I have always thought it was a best to have several interests...thats what I do to avoid becoming too wrapped-up with only one interest, and I bounce back and forthe between them as needed. You will never be able to replace the cars or their memories, so avoid doing anything drastic unless you have considered it for a long time...maybe a year. I liek the loan-out to a museum or car dealership idea... let others enjoy the car and see if you can live with out it under your nose.

Other than that, go chase those other things you always wanted to do...live life as if this was your last day on earth...have no regrets. Come back to us if you feel the need...most of us will be here awhile.
MrKona
Pat,

It sounds like your limiting yourself to options at extreme opposite ends of the spectrum; either spend a lot of time and money on the car, or get rid of it entirely.

How about something in the middle? I too like the idea of loaning your original car to a museum. Keep it in your name, find a new way to enjoy it, show it off... Loan it out to a local Porsche dealership as we've seen in another recent thread.

And while you're enjoying it in a different way, and not feeling anchored to it, go enjoy your other hobbies... work on that train layout.

I really enjoy working on my 914 and feel an extreme sense of accomplishment the more I learn about this car. However, my dreams with this car are finite... I have no plans on ever being a multiple 914 owner. There are too many other things I want to do. I'm already eying plans for a 12' wooden canoe that will sit in the garage next to the 914 one day. biggrin.gif

I hope whatever decision you make is the right one for you.

- Bryan
gms
Pat,
I am sorry to hear that you are feeling this way however if the spark is gone you have to do what feels right. I feel there are a lot of great suggestions here and this might be redundant. I would suggest a temporary separation to start with so you can resume your hobby if the “feeling” returns. I personally have taken small sabbaticals from my 914s and have returned with the same passion that I had felt before. I can understand how you feel about not being able to work on the car and I can only imagine your frustration. I know one day each of us will reach a point when physical limitations will end our tinkering and we will each handle it differently. I have always had a project or three on the back burner so when I am tired of one car I move to another, maybe you have the 37 year itch? If you do leave we will miss your diehard CW attitude and comments!
Sincerely,
PanelBilly
I think you should find someone who impresses you as worthy of working on the car for you. I'm not suggesting you send it to a shop, but find a kid who has some skills that need to be honed and "let" him work on the car. Stand over him and insist that everything be performed to your standard. If he can't handle the work get rid of him and find another. I'd think there's lots of kids to choose from and I would look at the highschool autoshop class for starters.

I wouldn't pay them a cent. I think you can find a kid who will want to learn because they have the passion for cars and the work. It might take a bit of patience on your part and the understanding that he will make mistakes. Your going to pass something on maybe more important than the car itself. Your going to preserve a part of your passion for perfection, by giving it to someone else. Maybe the kid would pick it up without you, but we learn by copying our elders.
1970 Neun vierzehn
OK, here it is, the TOUGH LOVE response.

Pat: "I want the truth!"

1970 Neun vierzehn: "You can't handle the truth". (Or can you?)

Pat, your problem is precipitated by several factors, which individually have not caused your malaise with regards to your 914 and 911, but collectively have undermined your automotive (Porsche) enthusiasm.

Let me ask, for the sake of our fellow Forum friends, some questions that even though I know full well the answers, your candid responses to will reveal reasons for your manifest disinterest and lethargic attitude toward your enthusiast cars.

1. Once upon a time, you and I would have lengthy discussions about the latest issues of R&T, Automobile, C&D, Autoweek, and PCA Panorama. What do you subscibe to now? Do you even read "Pano" anymore?

2. Since you moved to Philadelphia, what 12-13 years ago, how many miles have you put on your 914? Ten, twenty?

3. Since you moved to Philadelphia, how many PCA events, 914 World get-togethers, or special interest/collector/sports car events (Hershey, Carlisle, etc.) have you attended?

4.What (this is one of my favorite questions) are your daily drivers? Once upon a time your D/Ds were a Rabbit, a GTi, various Audis, a Scirocco, Passats. And now you drive what?

5. You claim that your body is getting too old for repair and maintenance on your Porsches. That "you need to do it yourself". Pat, think Tom Oerther, Bud West, Jerry Wolf, Howard Rapp, Dick Weiss, John Meyer, Tom Stegman. All these guys (and myself) are (or were) at least as old as you and their enthusiasm for their respective Porsches did not wane as they either got older or no longer "wrenched" on their own cars. I might also add that all the above mentioned Porsche enthusiasts drove their cars AND did not have BORING cars as daily drivers.

6.We all know (or at least a lot of us do) that you harbor a disregard for the real or imagined arrogance that PORSCHE AG has displayed in going so far upmarket with their cars. It also annoys me somewhat to see the marque that was once the provenance of hard core driving enthusiasts, road racing adherents, discreet professionals, and connoisseurs of excellent craftsmanship and (though sometimes quirky and offbeat) engineering, be hijacked by so many elite, crass and unappreciative individuals whose only interest in their PORSCHE is as a
bauble with which to flaunt their wealth and material success. You've said that you have no interest in new, and late model PORSCHES. Does it follow then that you must not, therefore, admire the marque (Cayman aside), squelch your enthusiasm, and by association, diminish your own regard for your own PORSCHES?

If you take yourself out of the loop of reinforcement with regards to a hobby, be it a car, a motorcycle, a model railroad, a bicycling passion, a guitar pursuit, a record collection, etc. and don't immerse yourself with passion and seek affirmation and support from those with whom you share your enthusiasm, your affinity and affection for that endeavor will no doubt wither. (I can't avoid the cliche here...............) Use it, or lose it!

Your dear and sincere friend,
Paul
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Mar 27 2009, 10:38 PM) *

Pat, your problem is precipitated by several factors, which individually have not caused your malaise with regards to your 914 and 911, but collectively have undermined your automotive (Porsche) enthusiasm.

Let me ask, for the sake of our fellow Forum friends, some questions that even though I know full well the answers, your candid responses to will reveal reasons for your manifest disinterest and lethargic attitude toward your enthusiast cars.

1. Once upon a time, you and I would have lengthy discussions about the latest issues of R&T, Automobile, C&D, Autoweek, and PCA Panorama. What do you subscibe to now? Do you even read "Pano" anymore?

2. Since you moved to Philadelphia, what 12-13 years ago, how many miles have you put on your 914? Ten, twenty?

3. Since you moved to Philadelphia, how many PCA events, 914 World get-togethers, or special interest/collector/sports car events (Hershey, Carlisle, etc.) have you attended?

4.What (this is one of my favorite questions) are your daily drivers? Once upon a time your D/Ds were a Rabbit, a GTi, various Audis, a Scirocco, Passats. And now you drive what?

5. You claim that your body is getting too old for repair and maintenance on your Porsches. That "you need to do it yourself". Pat, think Tom Oerther, Bud West, Jerry Wolf, Howard Rapp, Dick Weiss, John Meyer, Tom Stegman. All these guys (and myself) are (or were) at least as old as you and their enthusiasm for their respective Porsches did not wane as they either got older or no longer "wrenched" on their own cars. I might also add that all the above mentioned Porsche enthusiasts drove their cars AND did not have BORING cars as daily drivers.

6.We all know (or at least a lot of us do) that you harbor a disregard for the real or imagined arrogance that PORSCHE AG has displayed in going so far upmarket with their cars. It also annoys me somewhat to see the marque that was once the provenance of hard core driving enthusiasts, road racing adherents, discreet professionals, and connoisseurs of excellent craftsmanship and (though sometimes quirky and offbeat) engineering, be hijacked by so many elite, crass and unappreciative individuals whose only interest in their PORSCHE is as a
bauble with which to flaunt their wealth and material success. You've said that you have no interest in new, and late model PORSCHES. Does it follow then that you must not, therefore, admire the marque (Cayman aside), squelch your enthusiasm, and by association, diminish your own regard for your own PORSCHES?

If you take yourself out of the loop of reinforcement with regards to a hobby, be it a car, a motorcycle, a model railroad, a bicycling passion, a guitar pursuit, a record collection, etc. and don't immerse yourself with passion and seek affirmation and support from those with whom you share your enthusiasm, your affinity and affection for that endeavor will no doubt wither. (I can't avoid the cliche here...............) Use it, or lose it!

Paul

OK, Mister "Tough Love", here we go (you asked, remember):
Responses. May be lengthy.

1. I DO read Pano religiously evry month, several time. Haven't come up with anything noteworthy in several years. Why? Because the majority focus is on DE, racing, and contemorary Porsches that no shadetree mechanic can work on. The ultimate "duh" came from a recent Parade concours redo, where the owner of a Boxster S didn't even know how to get at the engine to try to clean it - he won his class for crap sakes!! Gives me a whole new feeling of faith in Parade concours judges!

I also enjoy Hemmings Sports & Exotics every month. Read it even more times than Pano (Lamo). I quit reading Autoweek 20 years ago, because they sold out. Same goes for R&T and CD - loser pubs. Never got into Automobile.

2. Since I'v moved to Philly I've put 24 miles on my 914, and about 4k miles on the 911.

3. None. Hershey is always cold & wet and I don't need to buy or sell anything. Carlisle - same.

4. My personal D/D driver is a 2003 Mercury Sable. The other D/D is a 2008 Mercury Milan Premier. Both cars have been faultless. I mean that. My extended warranty on the Sable is about to expire, with never a claim. The Milan is almost fun to drive in a spirited manner. Both are competent, and suit our needs.

After being burned to the tune of 15k in repairs, we abandoned VW, and hey will never see our asses in one of thier showrooms again. Fun to drive, when they run. Way overpriced.

Look, I drive 3 miles to work. Other than a VW product, anything should work. Janice drives 5 miles to work - see last sentence end.

And, who are you to talk? You drive a Honda mini-truck, and a VW GTI that you've had for years, with 12k miles on it!

I fail to see the point here!

5. Bud West, my hero who died too early, was a wrench lawyer, as well as a down-to-earth guy. Dick Weiss is a hero to many, many people. Has the hands of an artist, and the skills of a master. Tom Oerther is close behind Dick, but farms out most of his heavy wotk these days. Both of the last 2 are well beyond retirement age. Dick is special & I don't even attempt to understand his motivation. Tom Stegman is a revered collector, though I doubt he's turned awrench in 30 years - nice to be rich, though I love the guy.

6. No! In no way at all. Look, I don't like the FACT that Porsche has sold out to the masses, like BMW did in the 80's to the gold chain crowd. What I dislike most about Porsche is that they make cares designed for housewives (Cayenne) and do-do's who don't even know how to access the engine, much less check the oil. I don't like $300 oil changes. I don't like pimple-faced bozos in the parts department who don't know a pushrod from a dildo! I particularly dislike "new" Porsche people. You know, those who have "discovered" Porsche, but can't pronounce it. These are the same people who've never owned a car in thier live (most, not all), and don't "own" a Porsche now - the leasing company does. Posers!

I love my Porsches! I have many scars, skinned knuckles and tetanus shots to prove it. I'm just a little burned out right now.

Now, after this little diatribe - what was your point, Paulie!
TJB/914
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 28 2009, 04:59 PM) *

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Mar 27 2009, 10:38 PM) *

Paul

OK, Mister "Tough Love", here we go (you asked, remember):
Responses. May be lengthy.

1. I DO read Pano religiously evry month, several time. Haven't come up with anything noteworthy in several years. Why? Because the majority focus is on DE, racing, and contemorary Porsches that no shadetree mechanic can work on. The ultimate "duh" came from a recent Parade concours redo, where the owner of a Boxster S didn't even know how to get at the engine to try to clean it - he won his class for crap sakes!! Gives me a whole new feeling of faith in Parade concours judges!

I also enjoy Hemmings Sports & Exotics every month. Read it even more times than Pano (Lamo). I quit reading Autoweek 20 years ago, because they sold out. Same goes for R&T and CD - loser pubs. Never got into Automobile.

2. Since I'v moved to Philly I've put 24 miles on my 914, and about 4k miles on the 911.

3. None. Hershey is always cold & wet and I don't need to buy or sell anything. Carlisle - same.

4. My personal D/D driver is a 2003 Mercury Sable. The other D/D is a 2008 Mercury Milan Premier. Both cars have been faultless. I mean that. My extended warranty on the Sable is about to expire, with never a claim. The Milan is almost fun to drive in a spirited manner. Both are competent, and suit our needs.

After being burned to the tune of 15k in repairs, we abandoned VW, and hey will never see our asses in one of thier showrooms again. Fun to drive, when they run. Way overpriced.

Look, I drive 3 miles to work. Other than a VW product, anything should work. Janice drives 5 miles to work - see last sentence end.

And, who are you to talk? You drive a Honda mini-truck, and a VW GTI that you've had for years, with 12k miles on it!

I fail to see the point here!

5. Bud West, my hero who died too early, was a wrench lawyer, as well as a down-to-earth guy. Dick Weiss is a hero to many, many people. Has the hands of an artist, and the skills of a master. Tom Oerther is close behind Dick, but farms out most of his heavy wotk these days. Both of the last 2 are well beyond retirement age. Dick is special & I don't even attempt to understand his motivation. Tom Stegman is a revered collector, though I doubt he's turned awrench in 30 years - nice to be rich, though I love the guy.

6. No! In no way at all. Look, I don't like the FACT that Porsche has sold out to the masses, like BMW did in the 80's to the gold chain crowd. What I dislike most about Porsche is that they make cares designed for housewives (Cayenne) and do-do's who don't even know how to access the engine, much less check the oil. I don't like $300 oil changes. I don't like pimple-faced bozos in the parts department who don't know a pushrod from a dildo! I particularly dislike "new" Porsche people. You know, those who have "discovered" Porsche, but can't pronounce it. These are the same people who've never owned a car in thier live (most, not all), and don't "own" a Porsche now - the leasing company does. Posers!

I love my Porsches! I have many scars, skinned knuckles and tetanus shots to prove it. I'm just a little burned out right now.

Now, after this little diatribe - what was your point, Paulie!

Good going Paul, I believe there is still life in ole Pat. I was worried he sounded like he was going to die & all this attention sparked him back to life. smilie_pokal.gif

Pat, Take if easy on yourself we want you on this forum..
Reminds me of something. stirthepot.gif
Take a tape measure and count every inch as one year of your life. Assume you will live to 90?? Now put it up the side of the wall & say your 65 years old. You now have 15" to live. stirthepot.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif Enjoy every inch lol-2.gif lol-2.gif

Tom popcorn[1].gif
TJB/914
Sorry, Pat.

I just screwed you out of 10 inches of your life. Typo error.

T
scotty b
Lost the passion? Maybe it's time for a change.
tod914
If this don't restore you passion, nothing will. And it's a Yugo! driving-girl.gif

Click to view attachment
914runnow

I'm on the brink.
[/quote]
Guess I will play the 'Bad Guy'.........
Sounds as if it is time...to part ways with your toyz...we will out grow them or out age them....Physically OR mentally......at some point in time......
Sell your 914 to someone in Europe..so your attachment is across the pond....
(seems it ways heavy on your mind).....
Next use the sale monies for a vacay -hot tub- deck- cruise- in home theatre ..
You get the picture...Something you will use or enjoy....NOW !!
Plus gain some more parking space AND mind space by these vehicles being vacated from your day to day/ hour to hour.......
No Wouldah> Shouldah> Couldah....Just go forward and enjoy life.....
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 29 2009, 07:42 AM) *

Lost the passion?

You'd lose your enthusiasm too, Scotty, if all you drove to work, ran errands with, and went on vacation in was this....................
scotty b
I can't imagine what it must be like to drive such a boring car every day rolleyes.gif At least my slug is a stick wacko.gif
Pat Garvey
[quote name='1970 Neun vierzehn' date='Mar 29 2009, 12:58 PM' post='1151442']
cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 29 2009, 07:42 AM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Lost the passion?
[/quote]

You'd lose your enthusiasm too, Scotty, if all you drove to work, ran errands with, and went on vacation in was this....................
[/quote]
Wrong color dickweed!

Oh, and no pic of your Honda Xb? Now that's exciting!
Pat Garvey
cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 29 2009, 01:45 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
I can't imagine what it must be like to drive such a boring car every day rolleyes.gif At least my slug is a stick wacko.gif
[/quote]
Yes it is!

And my slug can whip your slugs ass!
Pat Garvey
[quote name='914runnow' date='Mar 29 2009, 12:36 PM' post='1151433']

I'm on the brink.
[/quote]
Guess I will play the 'Bad Guy'.........
Sounds as if it is time...to part ways with your toyz...we will out grow them or out age them....Physically OR mentally......at some point in time......
Sell your 914 to someone in Europe..so your attachment is across the pond....
(seems it ways heavy on your mind).....
Next use the sale monies for a vacay -hot tub- deck- cruise- in home theatre ..
You get the picture...Something you will use or enjoy....NOW !!
Plus gain some more parking space AND mind space by these vehicles being vacated from your day to day/ hour to hour.......
No Wouldah> Shouldah> Couldah....Just go forward and enjoy life.....
[/quote]

You aren't the bad guy, and I understand what you're saying. But I already have those things (vacy, hot tub, deck, etc.). Had them for years & even they have lost my interest. Parking space would be nice. I haven't had my car in the garage since 1979!

No, I think I'll give it one more year, though the 911 must go. I'll pretty up the 914 this year, drive it all summer, and see what happens in the fall. Your Euro sale thing is interesting!

Anyone need a nice 73T with shifting prob's. Oh man, I'll miss that car.
Pat
auerbach
Pat, change your focus and take a break.

I'm 57, overweight (ask Evil), out of shape, suffering with two corneal transplants (30 years ago and on their way out) and a cateract. I hate my clients and don't have enough time to do the things that I really want to do.

About a month ago, I decided to move my immediate obsession from my 914 to tracking my Targa. This will probably be one of the last seasons that I will be able to do it so now my "desire" has been rekindled. So much so that I went to Birmingham Ala last week to get on the track and "back in the mood" to race.

Please don't look at your car as an obligation. It's a work of art that will always be there for you. Once it's gone, it's gone and that hurt is something that can't be healed.

If you can think of your car as your wife, try a seperation agreement. Live seperate and apart for some time, and think about dating either her (the 914) or someone else. But remember to keep making the Alimony Payments, her lawyer can be a real bastard. :-)
Pat Garvey
Ok, I've taken in all the pros & cons of evryone's posts. Some I agree with. Some have pissed me off royally!

Those who think that it's time for me to move on may be closer to my reality.

Those who have tried to goad me into action beacause of what I choose to drive my 3 miles to work have just pissed me off!

I stopped driving VW's because one year of 8K repairs, at 50k miles, made me abandon them. I can't afford Porsche shop repairs for my 911, so it will go. 914's still up in the air, though I'll make a decision soon.

From the time I was 16 I spent a fortune on hot rods, draggers, and sports cars. Some good, mostly money pits. Decided 6 years ago that I was calling and end to it. Too much wated money.

Do I drive a boring car (Sable) - yep. Has it cost me a penny in 6 years - nope. First Ford product. So I got the wife this kickin' Milan Prem, with all its goodies last year. First auto trans car she's ever had. She loves it. SYNC is totally great!
This car is not a Porsche, but last weekend I spent 60 miles on Pa twisties, and it holds its own. Yeah, bitch on me if you wish, it's a nice daily driver, and faultless after a year of driving.

Sometimes, some of us change. I'm anticipating further major changes in the coming year. You can't ask me about those changes, because it would be a political thing & I'm forbidden to discuss them. Been banned once & won't do it again, but you may see some serious changes in my mailing address in the coming year.

In the mean time, I'll give the 914 another year. And I'll put some major effort into it. What I do with it from there - who knows. I still have little interest. 911 will go this spring(late). It's a start.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Mar 29 2009, 12:58 PM) *

Lost the passion?

Ynow, I let this pass for a few days. Comments are - the Milan makes the vacations & with SYNC it's more than fun. The Sable is just work transportation, all 3 miles of it.

Then I thought - HOLD ON here. The pot calling the kettle black?
Yeah my DD is boring (though carefree), but what about what the kettle drives.

He, who is so quick to call me stodgy, drives a Honda Element? Excuuuuuuse me - the only theing that the Element has over my Sable is that you can hose it out. And, why would you do that in a civilized society.

Did I mention that it is ugly?

People in glass houses.......
914four
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 23 2009, 08:25 PM) *

As a relativity new member of this forum (Newbie for over a year and I wonder how long it takes to become a real member) and a 914 owner for about 20 years I really enjoy the information you share with us. You have a wealth of information and share it freely with those of us who were not fortunate enough to be original owners of our 914s.

Most people, especially those of us over 40, seem to change our interests as we age. Water skiing hurts more the day after now and is something I'm not interested in like I was at one time. I'm sure this is an especially hard decision for you to make but you are the only one who knows what is best for you. I know I would have a hard time parting with a car I cared for as well as you have for so many years.

I once read that it takes six months to really know weather you made a good business decision. Someone suggested loaning your car to a museum and maybe that is a viable option. I'm sure AA, Barbers Motor Sports or others would love to have a car such as yours on loan for six months. You might work a deal for six months with an option to sale if you feel it is the best decision for you.

You have been an exemplary steward of your 914 and inspire me to care for my 914 better.

Good luck with your decision.

Kelvin
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(PH1 @ Mar 31 2009, 09:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 23 2009, 08:25 PM) *

As a relativity new member of this forum (Newbie for over a year and I wonder how long it takes to become a real member) and a 914 owner for about 20 years I really enjoy the information you share with us. You have a wealth of information and share it freely with those of us who were not fortunate enough to be original owners of our 914s.

Most people, especially those of us over 40, seem to change our interests as we age. Water skiing hurts more the day after now and is something I'm not interested in like I was at one time. I'm sure this is an especially hard decision for you to make but you are the only one who knows what is best for you. I know I would have a hard time parting with a car I cared for as well as you have for so many years.

I once read that it takes six months to really know weather you made a good business decision. Someone suggested loaning your car to a museum and maybe that is a viable option. I'm sure AA, Barbers Motor Sports or others would love to have a car such as yours on loan for six months. You might work a deal for six months with an option to sale if you feel it is the best decision for you.

You have been an exemplary steward of your 914 and inspire me to care for my 914 better.

Good luck with your decision.

Kelvin

Kelvin,

First, thank you for joining us! Second, where have you been for the last 20 years?

Now, for all those who've suggested that I loan my 914 to a museum....not going to happen.
I'd rather look at it privately.
Pat

Ps. The 911 is available. It MUST go.
jd74914
Maybe your outlook will change when the you drive your 914? Hopefully? I wish I had some good thoughts on reigniting your interest, but I'm coming up dry.

Not to be chomping at the bit, but about how much are you looking for the longhood Pat?

James
tod914

Now, for all those who've suggested that I loan my 914 to a museum....not going to happen.
I'd rather look at it privately.
Pat

Ps. The 911 is available. It MUST go.

Sounds like it's time to let it go then Pat. Seems your interest is no longer there. So with that said, how about a Boxster? Very very reasonable in price now wink.gif no more tinkering, much more hp, drive and enjoy.
I bet you could find a real nice one, and still stuff a couple dollars in your pocket with your 914 sale.
Pat,
Can we see a shot of the 914,911 ? Ive owned my 914 for 38 years,Its like a part of my life..
Take Care,914
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(914 @ Apr 2 2009, 08:40 AM) *

Pat,
Can we see a shot of the 914,911 ? Ive owned my 914 for 38 years,Its like a part of my life..
Take Care,914

I'll post some shots this weekend of the two. This is NOT and advertisemnt to sell, just some pics. The 911 is "close", but not purely Cardex. Numbers match, but some minor bod modifications, and I mean "minor". Does have a shift linkage problem, which I don't have the upper body strength to deal with.
Pat
dcheek
Pat,

This thread has kept me up way past my bedtime. My laptop battery went dead and I had to drive all the way back to work to pick up the charger! Your dilemma has hit me to the core or my being. I too have thought of selling everything and get one nice new, or newer sports car so that I would actually have time to enjoy it rather than labor over preserving, repairing or otherwise obsessing over what most "normal" people would consider an appliance; namely a car. I think my reason is somewhat different from yours; it's a full time job in the warmer months to keep everything I own in operable condition. As usual, problems arise in groups all at the same time. This one has a starting problem, that one needs brakes, another needs new fuel lines, etc. Sometimes I just want to throw in the towel and sell the problems to someone else. But, when I get right down to it, I'm emotionally attached to each and every vehicle I own. In the VW Club I'm known as "Dave Keep" because I rarely sell anything. Have you ever thought what it would be like the day you sell your pride and joy and seeing someone else driving away in "your" car?

The real issue for me is that my enthusiasm for preparing a car for full concours judging is at an all time low. In fact, I plan on displaying my car in the Historic portion of the up and coming Porsche Zone One Concours in May. Like you, I go to Hershey every year and don't really need anything. And if I do buy something, it's so trivial I either forget I have it, or forget to install it. But that's really not the point. It's the experience, the people and web sites like this that keep the fire burning.

When I attended the first Zone One Concours 30 years ago I worried about the level of preparation I had done, I worried about the weather situation (I drove my car to the event), I worried about the judging, the car placement in the field, the dust, the pollen, worry, worry worry. It was the most nerve wracking experience I ever had! Now, with age, like you, if it rains, big deal. That's why they put wipers on the car. It's not a physical thing with me, even thought I have floaters too, and my vision up close? Forget it! And yes I too are slower at getting out from under the car. It's that I just don't want to devote the time necessary to prepare a car to that level any more. So, have I lost the fire? Well yeah, if you count not wanting to spend two months cleaning a car. But, I still could not bring myself to sell my 914. When people ask me why I've kept the car so long, I tell them no one was willing to give me enough money to buy a 911. That couldn't be further from the truth. When I finally got my 911 before I was 50 years old I thought this was the end of my love affair with the 914. You know, more power, and it's a 911..............oooooooh! Well, it didn't. I still love the way the 914 looks, sounds and handles. And I'm not selling it.

So, what should you do. Well, I know what you shouldn't do, and that's sell your 914. You will regret it. Yeah, you think you could find another nice car if you wanted to get back into the hobby, but you, of all people, (and I only know you from this forum), will never find a nicer car than you already own. Think about it. Would you be happy with a restored car? No. Would you be happy with an original low mileage car other than yours? No. And besides, for what you would get for your 914 you could buy a new Honda Accord. Excuse me while I yawn!

What always works for me is a good dose of car show to pump up the enthusiasm with a little positive reinforcement from attendees that will find it hard to believe you've owned the same car for such a long time. Very few people stick with any automobile this long. It truly is a remarkable feat.

So, why don't you come to the 30th Anniversary Zone One Concours on May 17th and show your car. We have Full Concours Class (no wheel wells or undercarriage), a Peoples Choice "show and shine" class. Its not that far from Philly and I would like to meet you and try to talk some sense into you with this notion that selling the car will make you happy. Believe me, people will go gaga over your car. Clean, original 914's are unique and do draw attention.

Here is the link with all the information:

http://zone1.pca.org/Zone%201%20Concours%202009%20v3.pdf

I will be there Friday night, All day Saturday and Saturday night, and or course all day Sunday. By the way the Trophy/Award is a limited edition printed poster signed and numbered by the artist. Only 125 were printed just for this event. Hope to see you (and your 914) there.

Dave Cheek

tod914
Nudge nudge Pat, now you have two people bugging you to attend zone 1.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.