Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: Shipping a car from SFO to LAX
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
I may be getting a car that's not running (I know, I know.... another non-running car for Joe) that's in the SF Bay area. I'd need to get it down to LA. Other than driving up and back, does anyone have a good (i.e. cost-effective) way of getting a car down to LA? It's a roller, just not running.

Please let me know.

Thanks!
johnnie5
Try Tom at Non Stop Auto Transport. My Friend George with Custom Westys (here in S.D.) uses him all the time to move Vanagons. They travel up and down the coast weekly. You can use Georges' name for referral purposes to get the best price, etc. Toms number is 619-888-8475. Good luck!
KaptKaos
Thanks! Any idea what this will cost??
dbgriffith75
Not that I'm saying your friends company isn't a good option, but chances are good that even if you catch a break on the bill, it would probably be cheaper just to get a trailer and go get the car yourself. It's not that far to transport but there tends to be a lot of costs involved.

If you get it for cheap, great- go for it, but try figuring the costs of what it would take to go get it yourself, and see how this other guy compares.
KaptKaos
I am guessing that gas alone will be ~$150. Maybe that's high. Trailer from U-haul? Need to check.

If the transport was anything near $250, I'd likely pay to have it done. Dunno though.
736conver
Have you tried using uship.com. Doesnt cost anything, at least the last time I used it.

People bid on your shipment. Some are professionals and some are people in the right place at the right time. I had a guy bring me a go kart from Florida for $100, he had an empty pickup truck coming back to WI so it worked out for him and me.
johnnie5
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Mar 24 2009, 11:27 AM) *

I am guessing that gas alone will be ~$150. Maybe that's high. Trailer from U-haul? Need to check.

If the transport was anything near $250, I'd likely pay to have it done. Dunno though.

George says Tom charges him around $350 to $400 from SFO to SD for Westy's and that a 914 shouldn't be more than $250 to $300 tops (roller) From SFO to LA. George said to 'remind' Tom that George uses him often and that you (me, we) are 'friends' of his, and to cut some slack... blah, blah, blah. So, yes... around $250 SHOULD be Toms price is the answer I get. Good luck.
KaptKaos
Thanks!

I'll know more soon here I hope. Kinda waiting on the seller at this point. Just trying to get my ducks in a row.
johnnie5
icon_bump.gif For Brisco914prc...
KaptKaos
QUOTE(johnnie5 @ Apr 16 2009, 03:28 PM) *

icon_bump.gif For Brisco914prc...

Huh?

As for my deal, I got the title from the guy and called the shippers to go get it yesterday. Hopefully, I will have a date for delivery next week.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.