Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Anybody have connections to any medical program directors?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
Without getting into too many details, I am wondering if any of you have connections to medical program directors. Preferably in EM, but FM, IM, or gen surg would do fine. Any hook ups would be greatly appreciated.
firstknight13
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 24 2009, 03:50 PM) *

Without getting into too many details, I am wondering if any of you have connections to medical program directors. Preferably in EM, but FM, IM, or gen surg would do fine. Any hook ups would be greatly appreciated.

hey dude how about selenas, ca... i know someone...... biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
About time for you to find a residency isn't it... UC Davis has the biggest program I have ever seen in all my years in the field. Their residents are in every hospital in Sacramento. Busiest ER I have ever seen.... What are you wanting to do?
Dr Evil
EM is what I am going to do eventually, but this year the match process for putting med students into programs was overwhelmed for the first time ever and as such many qualified applicants did not get a position in a residency program. All specialties are full up, based on the economy many did not expand as they were planning and the schools continue to take bigger classes. You can see where this is going to be a problem. So, with too many docs graduating not in employ, and I being one of them, I am looking for any hook ups or links to research spots, positions, etc. I need a job for the next 12 mo starting mid June.

Unless people can guarantee me 2 tranny rebuilds a month for the next 12 months. dry.gif I will need to do some more tranny clinics as well. This economy sucks sad.gif
Gary
I know a bunch, but.... we're all in uniform biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Gary @ Mar 25 2009, 11:06 AM) *

I know a bunch, but.... we're all in uniform biggrin.gif

That is true... Suit up and you will get a residency and your loans paid back probably. You can even do US Public Health Service if you don't mind living in the middle of nowhere serving underserved populations.
Dr Evil
I am considering the Navy and USPHS sad.gif
Cupomeat
Hmm, well I am close to sending you a 914 (side shifter) and a 901 (69 911S) tranny for rebuild.

I know that is not the answer, but at least it will pay some bills.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 25 2009, 01:01 PM) *

I am considering the Navy and USPHS sad.gif

Working with native American populations can be very rewarding... Sucks though. How you start your career can define it... Open or close doors. Are you wait listed anywhere?
r_towle
Hi,
I found my buddy in Oakland...but he hides from direct contact for obvious reasons.

I am awaiting his response...he is in pediatrics...there was/is an opening there, I check the ama site...

Rich
Wilhelm
Hard to believe there are no IM or FP residencies available. In the day, they always went unfilled.

Not all USPHS paybacks need to to be done at Laurel, MT on the reservation in the winter. If you speak
Spanish I believe you can serve at places like Hood River, OR, A yuppy little windsurfing, close to Mt Hood,
mountain biking, close to PDX, sort of town.
Elliot Cannon
"Would you like fries with that"?
So.Cal.914
The naval hospital in Balboa Park would be Great for you. But heres a thought, we will be moving to the big island, I read that they have a hard time keeping MD's there. And they encourage mainland Dr's to work there. Check it out, there are worse places to do your rez.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Mar 25 2009, 05:02 PM) *

Hmm, well I am close to sending you a 914 (side shifter) and a 901 (69 911S) tranny for rebuild.

That would sustain me for a month so I am very greatfull for the business.

This is the first year that all programs have been full. Shitty sad.gif USPHS will not take me unless I have finished 1yr of residency....which I can not do if I cant get into a program. I havent heard back from the Navy recruiter through their web site. At least in the Navy I get credit for my 6yrs in the Coast Guard towards my pay. The Coast Guard doesnt have its own medical corps, they use PHS or Navy.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 25 2009, 05:44 PM) *

This is the first year that all programs have been full. Shitty sad.gif USPHS will not take me unless I have finished 1yr of residency....which I can not do if I cant get into a program. I havent heard back from the Navy recruiter through their web site. At least in the Navy I get credit for my 6yrs in the Coast Guard towards my pay. The Coast Guard doesnt have its own medical corps, they use PHS or Navy.

You will have a couple things going for you in the Navy. 6 years of USCG means 14 years until retirement. An MD comes in with an automatic rank of Captain in the USAF which would be a Lieutenent in the Navy. Once you are board certified you automatically get promoted to O4, no promotion board - sit for your board and pass and then just pin it on. Lots of specialties have retention bonuses. Not so sure about EM. Although, a T-Surgeon would be a biggy. I think they have had programs that pay back your student loans and you have to give them a couple years. A good program if you ask me. If it wasn't for the military, I wouldn't have been able to get a PhD. There are several very good hospitals to do residency at plus, they have contracted spots with civilian hospitals.
Sucky thing is that while an enlisted man can sometimes spend 12 or more years in the same assignment, officers are expected to make a move every 3-4 years. Anything more and you are nesting... The Mrs. may or may not like that. Base housing if you have never experienced it is much nicer than you would imagine. Very - very secure too...
Call a health care recruiter. Those websites may take a while to filter to a person with a phone and your number.
Gary
Mike,

If you're considering military medical training, shoot me a pm. I've been an internist in the Army for over 15 years, been putting on the uniform for 22.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 25 2009, 09:58 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 25 2009, 05:44 PM) *

You will have a couple things going for you in the Navy. 6 years of USCG means 14 years until retirement. An MD comes in with an automatic rank of Captain in the USAF which would be a Lieutenent in the Navy. Once you are board certified you automatically get promoted to O4, no promotion board - sit for your board and pass and then just pin it on. Lots of specialties have retention bonuses. Not so sure about EM. Although, a T-Surgeon would be a biggy. I think they have had programs that pay back your student loans and you have to give them a couple years. A good program if you ask me. If it wasn't for the military, I wouldn't have been able to get a PhD. There are several very good hospitals to do residency at plus, they have contracted spots with civilian hospitals.
Sucky thing is that while an enlisted man can sometimes spend 12 or more years in the same assignment, officers are expected to make a move every 3-4 years. Anything more and you are nesting... The Mrs. may or may not like that. Base housing if you have never experienced it is much nicer than you would imagine. Very - very secure too...
Call a health care recruiter. Those websites may take a while to filter to a person with a phone and your number.

Ha! You are speaking from the chair force side wink.gif poke.gif I am an Air Force brat thumb3d.gif I would be in the AF in an instant, but I am 30-40% disabled form my prior enlistment and they wont touch me.
pete-stevers
seems to me that there has been a shortage of docs up here
we are somewhat connected in the Childeren's Hospital in BC
and damnit i could use another teener guy up here
but it is Canada...
shoot me a pm
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 25 2009, 07:57 PM) *

Ha! You are speaking from the chair force side wink.gif poke.gif I am an Air Force brat thumb3d.gif I would be in the AF in an instant, but I am 30-40% disabled form my prior enlistment and they wont touch me.

I wouldn't bet the farm on anyone who wouldn't touch you in the past. An MD is mission critical. You would be shocked at what I saw waived.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Mar 25 2009, 08:00 PM) *

seems to me that there has been a shortage of docs up here
we are somewhat connected in the Childeren's Hospital in BC
and damnit i could use another teener guy up here
but it is Canada...
shoot me a pm

Don't do it Mike. I'm telling you, if Bush had 4 more years in office we would have been at war with Canada. (Sorry, just watched Zombie Strippers)
crash914
I do have a guy I know who is a PD for NIH and also has an office at Hopkins....I think it is Endro research...
Dr Evil
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 26 2009, 03:32 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 25 2009, 07:57 PM) *

I wouldn't bet the farm on anyone who wouldn't touch you in the past. An MD is mission critical. You would be shocked at what I saw waived.

The AF recruiter that came to class in the first week told me they would not take me...but that was before I graduated.

Canada? I am not opposed to that, but the Dr shortage they have is likely for licensed/board certified and not med school graduates. I wonder if Canada has openings in any EM residencies? That would rock, I love Canada.
rick 918-S
If your interested in the great white north, Sandy's boss's wife is an HR person at one of the hospitals here. I guess she's in charge of interviewing and hiring the docs IIRCC... Let me know if you want a contact name.
Dr Evil
For the record, I will move anywhere.
Dr Evil
Thanks to everyone for your support and well wishes. I believe that I have finally found my path, I am applying for the Masters in Public Health at Benedictine University in IL. It is online so I dont have to move and I can work at my own pace.

Dr. Evil, professional student.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 25 2009, 08:02 AM) *

About time for you to find a residency isn't it... UC Davis has the biggest program I have ever seen in all my years in the field. Their residents are in every hospital in Sacramento. Busiest ER I have ever seen.... What are you wanting to do?

UC Davis is good. My sister graduated from Med school there in '85, and did her residency at Sac State thereafter...

I'd make an intro (thanks for the tranny Dr.!) but don't think Dr Evil wants to deliver babies.....

R
Wilhelm
In a way too bad you can't find a transitional year and knock it out of the way. In many states with 1 year of residency, you can get a license and then be able to do doc-in-the-box, county clinic or even penal (not penile) institution gigs and start paying off loans and have some bux to do what you want. You can work as much or as little as you want. Just my 2 cents worth after remembering what is was like to be worth 2 cents.
Dr Evil
Ah, with an MPH I can get more $$, and I wont have to start paying back my loans right away. It is only 1 more year and I will be better set for next year for the new match paradigm smile.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 4 2009, 12:03 AM) *

Ah, with an MPH I can get more $$, and I wont have to start paying back my loans right away. It is only 1 more year and I will be better set for next year for the new match paradigm smile.gif

Know a fellow teener owner here who's wife is a reasearch doc at St. Jude and he also works there. I can inquire if you like.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.