Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Possible problem with removing muffler heat shield?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
greenie
Hello All,

I'm working on cleaning and prepping the Orange Ones underside.

The rear trunk is in good shape, a few typical rusty spots but very minor.

I want to POR inside and out on the trunk but really can't do a thorough job with the heat shield in the way.

The car will have a six some day.

If I remove it permanently will my future muffler bake the back end of the car?

Advice appreciated.
cobra94563
I removed it for my V8 and have a single 2in/2out muffler in that location. No heat problems for me.
SirAndy
QUOTE(greenie @ Mar 25 2009, 07:04 AM) *

Advice appreciated.

Just drill out the spotwelds. That way, you can put it back on at a later date if you want ...

The /6 cars (And presumably some really early /4 cars) have the heat shield screwed in, not welded.
shades.gif Andy
dflesburg
Thats true... the Great Pumpkin's heat shield is held in with sheet metal screws. We took it out and it made cleaning and repainting everything much better.

They should have all been done that way.

Oh, and yeah we are putting it back in. But we are painting it with header paint first.
johannes
This shield would have been much efficient if it was made with shiny metal.

At this place you are fighting against heat radiation.

If you want a lighter car replace this part with a thin polished aluminium shield.

markb
My red 72 hasn't had on since I bought it in '99. I've never noticed a problem (with the exception of melted chocolate bars biggrin.gif ).
PeeGreen 914
Just take it off Curt biggrin.gif
CliffBraun
QUOTE(markb @ Mar 25 2009, 10:38 AM) *

My red 72 hasn't had on since I bought it in '99. I've never noticed a problem (with the exception of melted chocolate bars biggrin.gif ).

Yeah, I pulled mine off in accordance with my weight fetish. It's made me contemplate getting a job as a pizza delivery driver, but never gets hot enough to harm anything. Of course, people don't like pizzas that have all the ingredients on one side, so I should probably scratch that idea.
greenie
It looks like I'll drill out the spotwelds and attach later with screws.

Thanks everyone. welcome.png
RiqueMar
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 25 2009, 08:37 AM) *

QUOTE(greenie @ Mar 25 2009, 07:04 AM) *

Advice appreciated.

Just drill out the spotwelds. That way, you can put it back on at a later date if you want ...

The /6 cars (And presumably some really early /4 cars) have the heat shield screwed in, not welded.
shades.gif Andy

I did'nt know that! When I unscrewed mine, I just thought all where like that....
charliew
It looks like if you use screws on the floor bottom they will protrude into the trunk. You might want to plan ahead and put bolts or button head screws there.
SirAndy
QUOTE(charliew @ Mar 26 2009, 05:29 AM) *

It looks like if you use screws on the floor bottom they will protrude into the trunk. You might want to plan ahead and put bolts or button head screws there.

The early ones are screwed on with the screw heads in the trunk ...
shades.gif Andy
RiqueMar
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 26 2009, 09:05 AM) *

QUOTE(charliew @ Mar 26 2009, 05:29 AM) *

The early ones are screwed on with the screw heads in the trunk ...
shades.gif Andy

Roger that.
greenie
QUOTE(markb @ Mar 25 2009, 08:38 AM) *

agree.gif

After dicking around with the spotwelds for multiple hours I got out the ultimate solution. sawzall-smiley.gif

No chocolate bars in the trunk for me.

I'll take my chances with the heat vs drilling holes through the trunk.
dakotaewing
Here is mine without!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.