Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Pump suggestion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cupomeat
Ok, perhaps a repeat, but I wish to replace my original stock oil pump and not split the case to clearance the cam gear/bolts.

Any suggestions as to a pump that fits in without modification, yet will net me slightly more flow/pressure than my worn stock pump?

I failed to replace my pump during my last rebuild (yes, I am an idiot chair.gif ) and would rather not do the whole tear down/ rebuild. I realize that the pumps are a interferance fit and it will be difficult to pull the existing pump, but I've done that before on T1s and believe I will be successful here.

SO, any suggestions? Most of the pumps available seem to require the clearancing of the cam gear.

I appreciate it!
dbgriffith75
What year/size is it? When I rebuilt my '75 2.0, I was able to assemble the case without the pump, and then slide the pump in after. It was a tight fit, but with a little oil spread on the inner casing and some light taps with a rubber mallet, I got it in. I would think that with a little patience, you could remove the pump from your engine.

I don't know if there's any modified pumps available, but I have a couple of stock ones that I'm willing to part with. One I know for sure is in good shape- the other I'm not so sure.

See what some of our other fellow members have to say and let me know if you want one.
Jake Raby
If you don't want to split the case the stock pump or the Melling High Volume are your only choices.. My Type 1 pump won't work with the stock cam gear non modified.
Cap'n Krusty
Is your stock pump "worn out"? Really? I'd like to see and measure that. I've yet to replace one, 36 years down the 914 road. Most low oil pressure problems, if that's your complaint, are from clearance issues, not a dead stock pump. The Cap'n
Cupomeat
Ok, Thanks.

Well, Cap'n, I don't know that it is worn out, but all the components on the engine were checked/replaced during the rebuild (except the oil pump) and no doubt I could have an issue else where. When the engine gets good and hot, I see about 6psi/1k rpm which is certainly lower than I am happy with.

Now, I have heard it said "There are two types of 914 owners, Ones with low oil pressure problems and those without an oil pressure gage" but I'd like to keep 10psi/1k rpm for my sanity.

As I only get sporadic times to work on my 914 (as it is in upstate NY at the parents while I am down in NJ havin' babies) I thought I should just assume it is bad and if I go through the effort of pulling the pump, I might as well have one with me to replace it should I find it bad.

I am planning on adding an external oil cooler at this time, as well and thought that more volume flow might be a good thing for the additional plumbing.

Ok, SO, let me recap and answer questions;
1. Thanks Jake, If I replace it (without splitting the case), I am constrained by stock or melling pump, . I've heard that people avoid the melling due to the difference in body material and modulous of expansion. Do you have any reason not to suggest I buy one?
2. The interferance fit is sometimes not as bad as I've read.
3. To do it right, I should split the case, clearance the gear and install a T1 larger gear pump.
4. Conventional wisdom says that stock T4 pumps don't wear out much, so the problem might be else where.
5. DBGriffith, The Engine is a 75 1.8l (with 96mm KB pistons) in a 914 case that never had the secondary oil pressure regulator. I might take you up on buying a good stock pump from you.

Once again, this forum is a lot of fun and a great resource. I hope to repay to others what help I've gained here. beerchug.gif

Thanks
dbgriffith75
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Mar 26 2009, 03:14 PM) *

Ok, Thanks.

Well, Cap'n, I don't know that it is worn out, but all the components on the engine were checked/replaced during the rebuild (except the oil pump) and no doubt I could have an issue else where. When the engine gets good and hot, I see about 6psi/1k rpm which is certainly lower than I am happy with.

Now, I have heard it said "There are two types of 914 owners, Ones with low oil pressure problems and those without an oil pressure gage" but I'd like to keep 10psi/1k rpm for my sanity.

As I only get sporadic times to work on my 914 (as it is in upstate NY at the parents while I am down in NJ havin' babies) I thought I should just assume it is bad and if I go through the effort of pulling the pump, I might as well have one with me to replace it should I find it bad.

I am planning on adding an external oil cooler at this time, as well and thought that more volume flow might be a good thing for the additional plumbing.

Ok, SO, let me recap and answer questions;
1. Thanks Jake, If I replace it (without splitting the case), I am constrained by stock or melling pump, . I've heard that people avoid the melling due to the difference in body material and modulous of expansion. Do you have any reason not to suggest I buy one?
2. The interferance fit is sometimes not as bad as I've read.
3. To do it right, I should split the case, clearance the gear and install a T1 larger gear pump.
4. Conventional wisdom says that stock T4 pumps don't wear out much, so the problem might be else where.
5. DBGriffith, The Engine is a 75 1.8l (with 96mm KB pistons) in a 914 case that never had the secondary oil pressure regulator. I might take you up on buying a good stock pump from you.

Once again, this forum is a lot of fun and a great resource. I hope to repay to others what help I've gained here. beerchug.gif

Thanks

Will a 2.0 oil pump work on a 1.8? I don't want to sell you something if it's of no use to you.
Cupomeat
All the T4 engines had the same pump, so no issues there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.