Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Top of engine oil leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdwardBlume
ar15.gif ar15.gif

After the drive home last night, my oil pressure idiot light went on, and I noticed oil on the back window. Opened the engine compartment and there's oil everywhere. Looks like the oil pressure sender on the top of the engine is wet.

Is this my likely problem? What size MM socket does it take?

Thanks,
R
ar15.gif ar15.gif
Curvie Roadlover
25 mm. 1" works too.
URY914
If it is just the oil pressure sender it will be an easy fix. I had the same problem-oil everywhere-and found the problem something else.

On the front of the engine there are a number of studs (four, I think) which are used to hold the fan housing to the engine case. These are behind the fan. One of the studs are near the top and extend into the oil filler section of the case. On my engine this stud backed out and allowed oil to be blown out onto the fan. The fan than flung it all over the engine, rear window, rear hood and roof. The stud backed out to the point that it started rubbing on the fan and cut a nice clean gouge in to it. The bitch of fixing this is you can't fix it without dropping the engine.
I hope this isn't your problem. Lesson learned=LOCKTITE IT!
Brad Roberts
URY,

I have heard of some weird 914 engine problems (and caused quite a few) but yours takes the cake. I never knew that one of the studs went into the case like that. GOOD ONE.

Rob,

Now might be the time to install the remote sender kit for a gauge.

B
tod914
Check/replace the oil filler gasket. Its a rectangular gasket that is clamped on. Easy fix. I had that go on mine after i replaced the oil cooler seals. was driving me nuts trying figure out where all the oil was comming from.
Anton
When the oil sender is still in place and has not lost its center wiring plug, it is unlikely that it is the cause of the problem.

Another option might be that one of the 10 or so little aluminium carter plugs has departed your engine... I did suffer from such a problem when one blew out behind the flywheel (with a new high density oil pump); the engine vomited 3 liters of hot oil on the street within half a minute wacko.gif Let me tell you that it is not good for your reputation pain30.gif

Where the plugs for the oil pressure relief valves are exactly located I don't know; could also be the cause. I think an oil cooler blow-up should produce another kind of mess, i.e., more on the bottom of the car.

Good luck.
airsix
QUOTE(Anton @ Mar 31 2003, 07:41 AM)
When the oil sender is still in place and has not lost its center wiring plug, it is unlikely that it is the cause of the problem.

Don't rule it out though. I've had two oil pressure senders do this to me over the years. They look fine other than being a little wet (like everything else around them) and don't show any signs of leaking and in fact didn't leak at all at idle, so looking for the leak with the engine running did no good... But as soon as the revs and pressure came up oil was going everywhere - it can be deceiving because the oil will also run down over the oil cooler and filter making you think it's the cooler or the distributor seal, or the filter seal, etc. My money's on the oil pressure sender.

-Ben M.
Anton
That is a good thing to know, Ben! It just didn't seem very likely to me because the oil spots in Rob's car got as far as the rear window. Your suggestion of revving up the engine while inspecting it sounds useful.

BTW, the part number of the oil sender is 021 919 081 B; I ordered one at the local VW dealer for about 8 Euro.
silver six
Rob,

Your oil pressure problem does not appear to have prevented you from driving your 914 to work today. I think I saw it in the parking lot. Cool placement of the Porsche shield on the engine lid and full "PORSCHE" script on the rear panel. I'm going to do something similar but I'm going to put the "PORSCHE" script on my front hood: 550 Spyder style.

Douglas
Jeroen
Hey Anton,

Good to see ya posting here!

cheers,

Jeroen
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.