Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New member and owner seeks advice and encouragement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
bicycleboy58
My dad just bought a 1974 Porsche 914 2.0 4 cylinder at a car auction. It has a new white paint job and is in pristine condition. First id like to know a ball park of what is worth, just for kicks cause we don't plan to resell it any time soon, and Id like to know what inexpensive mods i can do to improve it and make it feel more like mine.

I am a highschool senior soon to be college student and am super excited about owning this car. It will be replacing a 1973 mg b that was my first car. Right now the car is parked without plates waiting to be bought by me from my dad and as a way to relieve some of my excitement I have been doing research and forum browsing.

piratenanner.gif

scroll down for pics
MrKona
welcome.png

and...

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

That being said... I say to keep it original. Spend your $$$ now to make sure that the important parts (brakes, fuel lines) are in good shape before you start thinking about modifications. Good luck!
johnnie5
Oh boy... now you've done it - Welcome to the slippery slope!!! First off... welcome.png

Second, we need detailed pics posted to see whacha got yourself into...
bicycleboy58
QUOTE(MrKona @ Mar 25 2009, 01:29 PM) *

welcome.png

and...

That being said... I say to keep it original. Spend your $$$ now to make sure that the important parts (brakes, fuel lines) are in good shape before you start thinking about modifications. Good luck!

Well ill try and snag some pics then, guess I should have thought of that. I should have them on later tonight.
KaptKaos
welcome.png

Right, so the 1794 is a pretty rare 914. I am sure others will chime in as well. It'd be interesting to see the VIN. laugh.gif

Good luck!! You're in for some fun.
underthetire
welcome.png

Did you know that 914's come with a Gremlin inside from Oakland? They have guns, so you may as well hand over your wallet now!
jonvo4591
Hey, I'm a senior in hight school too! also looking to pick up one of these cars soon.

welcome.png

You picked a good forum to jump into, I love it and I've been a member for about 3 days!

Yeah, also, X2 on the pics!!
benalishhero
You have come to the right forum.

The combined knowledge of it's members can cover every inch of this great car.

welcome
SLITS
QUOTE(benalishhero @ Mar 25 2009, 03:31 PM) *

You have come to the right forum.

The combined knowledge of it's members can cover every inch of this great car.

welcome

welcome.png

But we all disagree ar15.gif and trash bs.gif each other over our knowledge base
dlee6204
welcome.png bye1.gif
johannes
<quote>Id like to know what inexpensive mods i can do to improve it and make it feel more like mine.</quote>

Sunglasses, cap and drive it ! ... Have fun ! ...

and

welcome.png
Ian Stott
If you are a car buff you will quickly love this unique little sports car, it is not a fire breathing Camaro eating monster but it is quite arguably the most fun you can have with your clothes on!! I have a 73 2.0 and it is all I hoped it would be and I am far from done doing it up right, first the mechanicals then beautification. This forum/club is the best place for someone like yourself, a great bunch with a wealth of knowledge.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
So.Cal.914
welcome.png

Welcome...First off, I must warn you. There are some jerks here that are going to give you a hard time. Do you have thin skin? Second, I am one of the jerks.

You are going to love your teener. I had a 65 MG b, what a POS. You will discover in your research that the front suspension is basiclly the same as a 911(up to 1989), as a matter of fact a 911 suspension bolts right in. It's a go-cart for the street. And wait until you get a load of some of the 914's here...Especially the turbo 6's and the 8's. The subi conversions are kind of cool to.
bicycleboy58
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I tried to take a couple shots of engine compartment but its raining and garage light is lame so nothing would really show up. From what i read everyone says too look at the battery pan and it isnt rusted nor is any other part of the car. Now that you can see some pics what is yalls response to my post?
benalishhero
yummy

EFI?

engine shot plz
jonvo4591

ALRIGHT ALRIGHT! looks nice from the pics!
bicycleboy58
QUOTE(benalishhero @ Mar 25 2009, 03:13 PM) *

yummy

EFI?

engine shot plz

I tried to take a couple shots of engine compartment but its raining and garage light is lame so nothing would really show up.
What is EFI?
and where can i find the VIN number?
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
dw914er
white 914's always did have a nice look to them

car looks good
jsayre914
drooley.gif Wow

That looks like a fine example of a 914

welcome.png

Very nice car
stepuptotheMike
Woohoo, another one in South Carolina... looks like a nice car. Where abouts are you?

Welcome to the site.

Mike
bicycleboy58
QUOTE(stepuptotheMike @ Mar 25 2009, 03:36 PM) *

Woohoo, another one in South Carolina... looks like a nice car. Where abouts are you?

Welcome to the site.

Mike

Boiling Spring, SC
Tryon, NC

i think it is like an hour from charlotte
messix
efi = electronic fuel injection.

the hell hole is the dark place by the battery tray way down in there towards the front of the car, meets up to the fire wall to the passenger compartment. water gets on battery mixes with battery acid and runs down the tray to the hell hole and rots out the metal. poke around down there with a pointed object [ice pick thin screw driver some thing like that,]

nice car by the looks of so far.

looks like the drivers seat might need some love. just chack all the maintenance stuff and then work on the pretty stuff. these cars can have some good sounding sound systems with out to much effort.

search threads for subs from morph, or check the vendors threads . morph makes so get replacement 6.5 speaker pods and sub woofer eclosure that fits in the passeger foot well [it replaces a molded foam block behind the carpet] that will fit a 8" sub that gives lots of sub.

the sky is the limit on mods that you can do. lots of cars here have mild to wild mods.

oh and

welcome.png
messix
and you'll find out that your gonna be hang out on line with a bunch of old farts your dads age or older.

you better pay that car off before he finds out how much fun it is and about all us guys his age that are having so much fun with these cars on here. you'll never get it away from him. happy11.gif
bicycleboy58
QUOTE(messix @ Mar 25 2009, 04:09 PM) *

and you'll find out that your gonna be hang out on line with a bunch of old farts your dads age or older.

you better pay that car off before he finds out how much fun it is and about all us guys his age that are having so much fun with these cars on here. you'll never get it away from him. happy11.gif

you should hear the bantering that is going back and forth. "My friends say i should keep it, im too generous with you" , " Man thats a good lookin car, i should keep it for myself' , " if i sell you this car what are you going to have to look forward to" and such.
I will definately heed your advice about buying it fast biggrin.gif
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(bicycleboy58 @ Mar 25 2009, 05:25 PM) *

you should hear the bantering that is going back and forth. "My friends say i should keep it, im too generous with you" , " Man thats a good lookin car, i should keep it for myself' , " if i sell you this car what are you going to have to look forward to" and such.
I will definately heed your advice about buying it fast biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
bicycleboy58
QUOTE(messix @ Mar 25 2009, 04:06 PM) *

looks like the drivers seat might need some love.

If your referring to the upper outer corner of the driver's seat, it is just rust on the hand brake.
RiqueMar
Damn, I wish mine looked that good when I bought it. I'm in almost the same situation as you, building one up, going to Univ. in a few months, etc.

Just be glad your Dad isn't a Porsche-phile.
bandjoey
w00t.gif It's really not worth that much...I'll give you $500 and come pick it up just to be kind and take it off your hands. laugh.gif Have miles and miles of fun in case you don't decide to sell! Bill
orange914
QUOTE(messix @ Mar 25 2009, 05:09 PM) *

you'll never get it away from him. happy11.gif

messix is right, his mom & i just hijacked kenny's 73 to help him pay off his subaru dd biggrin.gif last time he and a friend had it out there were a couple of girls chasing him down on the freeway with a cardboard sign posting their phone number. happy11.gif
welcome.png
very nice 914, take care of it!

mike
Slick914
Very nice looking car man! I bet you're stoked! Looks like a really nice paint job.

As far as inexpensive mods, the car already has some. The top is painted to match the car, the mirrors are painted, it has Euro spec taillights, aftermarket steering wheel, aftermarket shift knob, and the added badge on the hood. Some things you could do that doesn't cost a whole lot... Maybe a different steering wheel, vinyl side decals are available, stereo, Porsche reflector for between the taillights, different valances, etc. If it were my car, I'd maybe get a steering wheel that matches the car a little more and drive the piss out of it. Really, car looks great as is man. shades.gif
orange914
QUOTE(Slick914 @ Mar 25 2009, 07:38 PM) *

Very nice looking car man! I bet you're stoked! Maybe a different steering wheel,

if ya' want to sell the steering wheel, p.m. me smile.gif

like everyone says go drive and enjoy it. and a good addition if it doesn't aleady have it is a front sway bar.

mike

p.s. you may want to somehow pull the sound deadner/insulation away from your engine fan, it looks like it may be restricting air flow...
Sleepin
Very nice looking car! I agree with everyone that says just drive the hell out of it! These cars were made for fun...let it be that!
I would not change too much on it. Make sure you have a front sway bar and make sure your rear brakes are working! (I drove mine for a year before figuring out my rears weren't operational)

Glad to see a younger person (I am a whopping 35y/o)...show interest in the 914! It is a great car...and a lot better than an MG (I had a 71 Midget). Most important, the 914 community is awesome, the more 914 owners you come in contact with, the more you will like them (except SLITS) as well as the car! biggrin.gif

Welcome!!!!
messix
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Mar 25 2009, 09:19 PM) *

Very nice looking car! I agree with everyone that says just drive the hell out of it! These cars were made for fun...let it be that!
I would not change too much on it. Make sure you have a front sway bar and make sure your rear brakes are working! (I drove mine for a year before figuring out my rears weren't operational)

Glad to see a younger person (I am a whopping 35y/o)...show interest in the 914! It is a great car...and a lot better than an MG (I had a 71 Midget). Most important, the 914 community is awesome, the more 914 owners you come in contact with, the more you will like them (except SLITS) as well as the car! biggrin.gif

Welcome!!!!

agree.gif slits is an Asshat happy11.gif
jcambo7
First off welcome.png
Car looks great. drooley.gif You definitely came to the right place for support, info, help, and advice. Im still waiting for my first 914 to come may way and i am amped to get one. piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif driving.gif aktion035.gif
PeeGreen 914
White... '74... LE maybe? confused24.gif biggrin.gif

welcome.png

Nice score and keep posting. beerchug.gif
bicycleboy58
where can i find the VIN number?
SUNAB914
Very nice car! Save your money, you'll need it for all the chicks waiting to go out with you. Chicks dig 914's, especially college ones. Don't let your buddies borrow it...
I'm a few hours from you, but you have some great guys very near by.
benalishhero
QUOTE(bicycleboy58 @ Mar 26 2009, 06:53 AM) *

Driver's door jam, lower left windshield plate. I think a stamp in the rear trunk.
benalishhero
Ya, I second the "don't let your friends borrow it".

They will grind the reverse gear trying to find 1st biggrin.gif
watsonrx13
QUOTE(benalishhero @ Mar 26 2009, 07:10 AM) *

QUOTE(bicycleboy58 @ Mar 26 2009, 06:53 AM) *

Driver's door jam, lower left windshield plate. I think a stamp in the rear trunk.

Front trunk, passenger side, on the headlight bucket....

BTW, nice car and... welcome.png

-- Rob
Gint
welcome.png Nice white 914!
Cairo94507
Very nice starter Porsche; my first was a '73 914 2.0 appearance group I bought new from Porsche in 1973 when I was your age.

Just don't let friends drive it and be careful when you drive it. That car is worth some money and is a piece of 914 history. As far as modifying it.... I would get rid of the bumper tits (even though that would not be stock) and return the remainder of the car to as stock as possible with the exception of a nice mellow exhaust. Then detail the heck out of it.

Good luck and happy motoring!
jaxdream
I'll give a second on the bumper tits !!! Mine has a very good white paint job also , I was planning on black bumpers , that future car of yours looks great . Check out the mechanicals , spiff it up , use the right grade of fuel and DRIVE it aktion035.gif aktion035.gif

Jaxdream
bicycleboy58
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 26 2009, 05:28 AM) *

As far as modifying it.... I would get rid of the bumper tits (even though that would not be stock) and return the remainder of the car to as stock as possible with the exception of a nice mellow exhaust. Then detail the heck out of it.

Good luck and happy motoring!

I agree with debreasting mod and will definately do some research on that

EDIT: after looking a little i havent been able to find anything very conclusive. Am i looking for a fiberglass pad set, or a whole new bumper in order to detitsify. If anyone has an info readily available please let me know.
type47
Nice! Switch back to factory mirrors...
underthetire
Just remove the bumpers. Unbolt the tits. Paint some carriage bolts to mach the bumpers. Put them in the holes. Bumpers are very expensive, even glass ones. I still have tits on my 73, thats simply because the chrome is now rust under them.

PS carriage bolts are available at any hardware store.

Very nice car BTW.
pktzygt
QUOTE(underthetire @ Mar 26 2009, 05:23 PM) *

Just remove the bumpers. Unbolt the tits. Paint some carriage bolts to mach the bumpers. Put them in the holes. Bumpers are very expensive, even glass ones. I still have tits on my 73, thats simply because the chrome is now rust under them.

Very nice car BTW.

I was just thinking of a way to rid my car of the tits. I would have left them there for who know how long before welding and re-chroming. This is exactly why I like this board more than any one I've been a part of in the past.

Nice car by the way! Love the white with white roof.
bicycleboy58
QUOTE(underthetire @ Mar 26 2009, 01:23 PM) *

Very nice car BTW.

I think i just figured out my first mod, thanks man
r_towle
If the bumpers are chrome and if you can find chrome carriage bolts, go for those.
If not, look at a plumbing store for stainless steel covers that are used in sinks etc..they snap in and look great.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.