Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fiberglass hood
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jmill
I've been eyeballing this on evilbay for awhile. How is the fit and finish?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...bayphotohosting

I've sent him 2 emails with questions about shipping costs. No response yet.

Talk to me Goose.
kconway
I have in the past said good things about QRS since I bought their GT flared rockers. However, after closer inspection I was unhappy with the finish. The edges are pretty wavey. I do not have any experience with their hood though.

Kev
RiqueMar
I too bought his Rockers and a front Valiance, and we bought a set of Rear Flared Fenders. They are pretty good in my opinion.
pete-stevers
i think he had that stuff posted in the classifieds
ahdoman
I bought both a front and rear hood from him. The quality is really pretty good. However, I wish I would have ordered them untrimmed. The gaps are a little larger than I would have liked. They have the typical fiberglass "waves" in them but they sure are light! If you want a perfectly flat hood you'll have to go CF. Call Jeff at the shop. His number is 909-260-7303. That's how I finally caught up with him.
kconway
QUOTE(kconway @ Mar 25 2009, 06:26 PM) *

I have in the past said good things about QRS since I bought their GT flared rockers. However, after closer inspection I was unhappy with the finish. The edges are pretty wavey. I do not have any experience with their hood though.

Kev

Perhaps my comparison isn't a fair comparison but AA's GT Rocker is 100 times better in terms of fit and finish. I went to his shop and saw some of his other work. He also does carbon fiber hoods and those looked nice. The rockers I got are not great.

Kev
charliew
I've bought lot's of fg auto panels and have never gotten a part that didn't need lots of redo. Two pieces that were done in mexico bubbled in a new place everytime I repainted them.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
typically all fiberglass is"trim fit and finish" and we have purchased some horrible stuff for the usual suspects. Our main body man Kirk, whines and complains to me everyday about the fiberglass, as he is a perfectionist, and always ends up spending hours on it to make it fit and look perfect on some of these gt cars we are building.
The bottom line I would say is to stay away from fiberglass on a stock 914 and suffer when you are building a modified or racing car!!!!!!! (sorry to say)
charliew
I do know from my friends corvette restoration business that quality parts can be made and sold. The problem is that most times we are buying on the net and we can't inspect what we are buying. A lot of parts fg and otherwise, I have bought over the net, I would not have bought in person or would have at least pointed out the items bad points to get the price lowered. There are nice fg parts just maybe not for 914's maybe.

A body shop friend bought a complete vette front end from a new supplier and painted it three times before tearing it back off to use another venders more expensive front end. It cost him triple to get that job done. Each time he had to repair blisters in the gelcoat and then relevel the repair and repaint. The last time he stripped it to the original gelcoat and reapplied a new gelcoat over it all and it still blistered about two days later.
turboman808
I have always been disapointed when buying any fiberglass parts. They just never fit.

However everyone raves about Getty Designs. I haven't seen them in person.
pete-stevers
i would like some front and rear lids eventually
i know i iwill pay twice, once for the part
second for time spent tying to make it fit
jmill
I've also heard Getty CF hoods were great. Unfortunately, I can't afford it. $300 for glass seems reasonable. Is there a better manufacturer out there at @ that price?
sww914
They can't be worse than the GT Racing crap that I put on Cliff Braun's car. That stuff didn't fit anywhere. They were too small for the hole, the wrong curve, and the headlight holes looked like a part of a triangle rather than a part of a square. We used Hemet guy's flares and rockers, they were 1/2 the price and better. Not perfect, just better.
ahdoman
I tried to take a couple of pics of my hood so you could get an idea. As I mentioned earlier if you want it to be smooth and ridgid you'll have to go CF. My rear deck is really good so I didn't take any pics.

Here is the fitment around the light. This is why you want to order them "uncut" so you can trim it yourself. I haven't finished adjusting / aligning my headlight cover yet so it will get a little better.
Click to view attachment

I tried to shoot a couple of pics across the hood so you could get the idea of the "sagging". It also changes with weather. It's just a fact of lightweight fiberglass. For the money, I am very satisfied.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
jmill
Thanks for the pics. I see what you mean by the sagging. On a white car like yours it isn't too noticable. Mine is green and would stick out like a sore thumb. I agree that it's good for the price.
I called up Getty. They do ask a pretty penny for theirs. $899 plus shipping, to be exact. After talking with them I can see why. They toss about every third one due to small defects. It seems that everyone who orders a 914 CF hood wants them show quality with a clearcoat. I've worked with CF and it takes time and skill to get the fibers all lined up and pretty. Looks like I have to save my pennies.
ahdoman
There was also another company I ran across when I was shopping for these (sorry, don't remember who) that actually did a fiberglass "sandwich" hood. It was a glass / foam laminate. If I remember it was about $450 but it would probably look almost as good as stock since it would have a lot more rigidity.
jmill
Found out Getty has FG lids too!!! They made me a deal I couldn't refuse. I bought both.
Lou W
This Patrick Motor Sports car had a beautiful fitting fiberglass hood.

Last pictures shows that it was fiberglass.
sean_v8_914
I have his front and rear lids. they are nicer than most. he will make a thicker "street " version if you ask. oen of my customers has it on his electric car
jmill
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Mar 28 2009, 01:00 AM) *

I have his front and rear lids. they are nicer than most. he will make a thicker "street " version if you ask. oen of my customers has it on his electric car

Beggers can't be choosers. They have a few sitting around they want to see gone. They gave me a good price on them. I doubt there's anything special about these.
Randal

FYI Getty's products are great. I got in a group buy for CF hood and trunk a couple years ago. The fit and finish were great and the price ($1,300 IIRC) not bad.

I'm sure their FG products are quality pieces and of course much cheaper.
carr914
agree.gif I swear by Getty's C/F stuff - very good

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.