Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cam and oil pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dmenche914
Pulled my oil pump of my 2 liter type IV engine, it is a 30 mm gear type I cast iron pump, have been told it is a Melling brand (says "8 m m USA" on cover. It appears the oil ports line up ok with that in case, the drive tang looks to have been lightly riding on the cam drive thrust wise, so I think I should grind a little of the drive tang, am I right in doing this?

also see the cam is stamped ELGIN 330 -1 is this a stock cam or what, what charectoristics does this cam have? (motor is running 914 D-Jet)

Are there any other rcommended modifications to be done to the oil pump?

By the way I have a 25 mm gear schadek aluminum bodied pump in my parts box, is this a better pump to put in the Type IV motor. I have heard of problems using cast iron pumps.

thanks dave
Brad Roberts
Elgin has a website (he is located less than 5 miles from your house) match up the grind number with his website..or call them tomorrow and find out what you have.

Yes.. sometimes we have to grind the drive "tang" on the oil pump shaft.

B
Brad Roberts
The Schadek is aluminum and is thought to be a better match for the aluminum case we have.

B
dmenche914
So Brad, should I go with the smaller 25 mm aluminum shadek, rather than the larger 30 mm Melling cast iron???

dave

PS tried Elgins website, and couldn't find it, I know they are located behind City Pub, next time I go for a brew.

thanks dave
Brad Roberts
The thought is: go with the 30mm Schadek.

B
Jake Raby
Without cam gear/cam bolt mods the TI Schadek pump will not drop in... You'll munch something.

Do not grind the drive tang, you will start wear.. Press the drive shaft deeper into the upper pump gear to a deck height of .004-.006 and the problem is solved.

That should have been done when the engine was built-
Brad Roberts
I re-read what I posted.. I have had to grind on the actual Melling iron pump body to clear bolts on the Web Cams.. not grind the "tang". Jake is correct.. push it in if need be.

B
Jake Raby
The cam thrst bearing hates the load from the pump on deceleration.... Seen many thrust bearings wiped out in 20K because of it.
Brad Roberts
Single or dual wipeout ? (meaning dual thrusts)

B
MattR
What mods are necessary? I was going to order one from ACN and saw they have an option for a "type 4 fit". Does this option make it a straight drop? Or is that feasable, to modify the pump to fit without touching the rest of the engine.

And, what exactly is full flow? Ive read the 2.0 T4 already has full flow, and Ive read it doesnt. Do I need a plug pump for full flow when going with the schadeck 30mm?
Jake Raby
Just one side of the thrust...

with ALL Schadek pumps the cam gear must be modified.

I sell the pump and gear as a matched set for 85.00 and it drops in.
dmenche914
Jake: I measured the gear drive to cam, and it appears that they just add up to touching, thus explaining the very slight "thrust" marks on the cam drive.

I have tried to press the shaft further on the gear, but my vice just ain't big enough, wasn't able to shorten it at all,

will attempt a big press later (anyone got one???).

Question, why would slight grinding of the tang on the shaft cause extra wear, is it because removal of case hardening?, and if so, the area to be ground isn't really riding on anything, isn't it?

Or is there another explaination I am missing here for not grinding, again I'd only need to grind about .020 inch to have clearance, if that's a problem, I'll see what I can do about a press to shorten.

thanks dave
Jake Raby
I used to grind them till I noticed that they were getting way more wear than I liked way too early.. Pressing them is much better. Grind it if you want- but I would not if I were you.

You can hold the gear flat on a piece of steel and use a big brass drift and hammer to convince the shaft further into the drive gear...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.