Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tragedy Occurs to 914GT Owner Family Member
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RickS
For those of you not aware, a long standing member of the Porsche community and historic Porsche racing community has incurred a terrible tragedy. Bernie Buschen’s son, Scott (26) was severely burned over 40% of his body and remains in the critical/intensive care burn unit at Harborview Hospital in Seattle. Scott was working in his father’s Porsche shop when a flash fire occurred severely burning Scott’s arms and legs. Scott’s stay in intensive care will be for a minimum of 40 days, and then he will move to a general hospital bed for months. His anticipated recovery time is over a year. The good news is that Scott is anticipated to recover fully, the bad news is the medical, physical therapy, and ongoing bills associated with his recovery. There is no way that the state insurance will cover all of Scott’s astronomical medical bills.

To make things worse, Bernie’s shop – his primary livelihood, sustained substantial fire damage and was not fully insured. Bernie not only lost his income source but a vast collection of now unattainable classic 914/916GT racing parts he was going to use some day to help subsidize retirement. Over the past few weekends, several concerned customers, friends, and various club members have contributed their time to get Bernie’s shop to a point where it will be partially serviceable so Bernie can at least get some income. His shop still has a way to go.

Scott and Bernie are two wonderful people who would give you the shirts off their backs and ask nothing in return.

As concerned members of the Porsche community, I would like to ask you to please make a monetary contribution. If you can not manage much, please give what you can.

What makes the 914 and early 911 Porsche community so great is the way we all pull together when one of our own is in need. Scott is in need, and deserves our support. Please see this link for contribution details http://supportscott.com/default.aspx LINK FIXED
sww914
They're lucky to have a friend like you.
TC 914-8
That is tragic.

I know times are tough for some of us financialy, If we all pitch in a few $, a little may go a long way in our community. I should be able to send a donation via Paypal,that makes it too easy, by the end of the week.

Hope things get better from here. unsure.gif
So.Cal.914
I've got my own burnt down structure to handle. I am sorry to hear about your friend.
FourBlades

Make a donation even if it is a small one. smilie_pokal.gif

Helping someone else out always make you feel good.

John

So.Cal.914
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Mar 26 2009, 01:37 PM) *

John

I didn't see alot of people jumping on the band wagon around here when someone asked the same for me. People at NARP did though.
jonferns
I'll send a paypal donation by the end of the week when I get paid, every bit helps.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Rick: I will send something after the 1s/t when my pension check comes.
Tets keep this going and near the top. Dave slap.gif
RickS
Thanks guys - you are positively stellar. One thing that has struck me about the 914 board is that (and I am not kissing @$$) the members here really care about helping out other members as well as people they may not know - who have the same passion. I wish I could say the same for the 911 boards. If they make a liar out of me, I will be happy.

Thanks a lot guys and I fixed the link - shouldn't have had a period at the end. My wife says she hates them anyway.
charliew
It's funny, I tried it and it didn't work and I just blamed it on the sorry hughes net and when it worked later It didn't occur to me about the period till now.
So.Cal.914
One thing that has struck me about the 914 board is that (and I am not kissing @$$) the members here really care about helping out other members as well as people they may not know - who have the same passion.

Yeah right.
mojorisen914
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Mar 26 2009, 06:46 PM) *

QUOTE(FourBlades @ Mar 26 2009, 01:37 PM) *

John

I didn't see alot of people jumping on the band wagon around here when someone asked the same for me. People at NARP did though.

Paul,
Where can I send my donation for your misfortune. PayPal is the only way I can do it though.

Rick,
I'll send some too.
So.Cal.914
No Thanks. It would have been great when we were broke and and not sure where we were going to sleep. My insurance has kicked in now.
TC 914-8
I'm In and done

The Pay Pal link worked like a piece of cake.

My turbo tie rod ends will have to wait

Lets see a few more 914 world members step up, $5.00 to $50.00 goes a long way in a group as large as ours. poke.gif

popcorn[1].gif
Eddie914
I'm in! Donation sent. I can't afford it right now, but neither can Bernie and Scott.

Bernie and Scott are great people. Many warm wishes for a speedy recovery.

Here is a picture from an RGruppe drive Bernie, Scott and I participated in to Mt. St. Helens in 2005.

IPB Image

Mine is the ugly duckling in the back. Bernie and Scott have the 2.8L MFI 9146GT and the 1972 2.2L (original numbers matching 2.2L)

Thanks

Eddie
914rrr
We have some money for parts coming in this week. As soon as it gets here, we will make a donation.

Our thoughts are with this family!

Rob and Nel
burton73
I just made my contribution for Scott's care. This is so hard and painful for him and the family as well. I will be back to help with more, please keep us updated of Scott’s recovery.

A lot of love is going out to the Buschen family from our community.

Bob Burton
RickS
Scott Update:

Date: March 26, 2009 11:35:57 PM PDT

Subject: Out of the ICU!

Today was a major milestone! Scott was moved from the ICU (after 26 days) on the 9th floor down to the regular burn center on the 8th floor. He has started his full physical therapy and has taken a few steps today. All his vitals are good, his feeding tube removed and with his blood sugar and sodium at near normal levels now, so the decision was made to move him out of the ICU! Needless to say our family is very happy with his progress and we are looking forward to seeing him steadily improve. Also he is no longer in a sterile environment, so visiting should be O.K. as of Monday. He is at Harborview Hospital, East Tower, 8th floor, Room #805, Bed #1. If you would like to visit, please check with me or the hospital staff first, as he may be moved again in a few days.

Thank you again for all your support, especially the ECS Soccer League for setting up Scott’s medical beneficiary fund.

Bernie
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.