Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bubbas life lesson
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
spare time toys
I got our son a cheap car (78 Malibu 2 door) so I could get my truck back. Last night it was raining and he came in to ask where the wiper switch was because he didnt see it on the signal arm. I went out and pointed to the dash. I also had to show him how to turn the lights on. I never thought about all of our cars have the auto lights. Well he is used to getting out and going in the house and the lights shut off after 30 seconds. I guess I forgot to tell him he needs to push the switch back in to turn the lights off. I was going to get new front tires put on it today over lunch so I go out this morning and get in his car to come in to work and its dead. I look down and sure enough the light switch is pulled out. headbang.gif So today Momma gets to take him to school.
Sparky
Remember when the TV remote was the kid sitting closest to the TV? I was at a fast food place and the power went out and they wanted to stop service because they couldn't figure out how to total up sales without the register.
914Sixer
Most kids cannot tell time unless it is a digital clock. Better still, ask them to make change with out the cash register telling them the amount. sad.gif
charliew
I bet those are the ones who voted for obama. The govt will do the counting for them.
So.Cal.914
I din't see that last post

QUOTE(Sparky @ Mar 26 2009, 05:01 AM) *

Remember when the TV remote was the kid sitting closest to the TV? I was at a fast food place and the power went out and they wanted to stop service because they couldn't figure out how to total up sales without the register.

Yes I do...It was usually me.
MoveQik
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 26 2009, 06:02 AM) *

Most kids cannot tell time unless it is a digital clock. Better still, ask them to make change with out the cash register telling them the amount. sad.gif

My 8 year old insists on making change everytime we buy something. Her latest game is figuring out the difference in how much something costs now compared to when daddy was little. All is not lost. biggrin.gif
Betty
Clay was telling me the other day how he used the example of looking somebody up in a phone book to demonstrate something computer related.

I started thinking... you might need to consider the age of the person you use that example with. How many young kids have ever used a phone book? I know I can sure find information faster using my computer.
charliew
My oldest thinks he's impressing me when he gets his emails and sends pictures and looks up phone numbers and addresses on his blackberry.

Now if he could just get a good job and pay his bills on time.
Michael N
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Mar 26 2009, 06:36 AM) *

I din't see that last post

QUOTE(Sparky @ Mar 26 2009, 05:01 AM) *

Yes I do...It was usually me.

You just brought back a bad memory. As the youngest of 5 kids I was known as the " Official Channel Changer. " Maybe that is why I am such a fan of a universal remote that can be programmed with a laptop to do just about anything.
horizontally-opposed
I remember the first remote my family got had a long wire attached to it. Pretty hoopty, but I guess it worked.

Sometimes, I've thought the remote control is the root of most of our attention-span issues.

pete
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(charliew @ Mar 26 2009, 06:04 AM) *

I bet those are the ones who voted for obama. The govt will do the counting for them.

lol-2.gif

Only problem is this: some people might think this joke makes you look like the idiot -- especially when they consider the previous eight years.

Admins, can we delete that political post? And mine, too? Always a pity when we start thinking ill of our fellow 914-loving neighbors based on political views hashed out badly online...

pete
charliew
Unfortunately in about ten years we will know the answer.
gopack
My rich friends had a romote for the TV, and it had 3 bars that were struck by a hammer making a chime noise (early 70s). when chime went off the tv would either channel up, channel down or on/off, based upon which bar was struck. the channel knob (mechanical tuner) would go "thunk, thunk, thunk, thunk" to the next channel. It was hilarious when the dog was romping around the room , and her tags would set the TVoff changing channels "thunk, thunk, thunk....." Pissed his dad off to no end!
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(charliew @ Mar 26 2009, 09:54 AM) *

Unfortunately in about ten years we will know the answer.

I hear ya on the ten years hindsight -- and I am scared about the debt we're talking about running up. And yet, I am hopeful. Maybe that makes me the idiot... biggrin.gif

(but, ssssshhhh, I don't think we get to talk about this here!) unsure.gif

pete
charliew
I'm 64, 9/11 changed my life and financial situation forever. I hate to imagine it but I don't think my lifestyle will ever be what it was during the bush years.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(gopack @ Mar 26 2009, 09:54 AM) *

My rich friends had a romote for the TV, and it had 3 bars that were struck by a hammer making a chime noise (early 70s). when chime went off the tv would either channel up, channel down or on/off, based upon which bar was struck. the channel knob (mechanical tuner) would go "thunk, thunk, thunk, thunk" to the next channel. It was hilarious when the dog was romping around the room , and her tags would set the TVoff changing channels "thunk, thunk, thunk....." Pissed his dad off to no end!

I remember those. My uncle, before remotes, put a switch leg in line with the speaker on my G-ma's TV so he could yell at Berry Goldwater.

I'm 64, 9/11 changed my life and financial situation forever. I hate to imagine it but I don't think my lifestyle will ever be what it was during the bush years.

I am trully sorry to hear that. Many of the best are suffering the worst.
bembry
QUOTE(spare time toys @ Mar 26 2009, 03:49 AM) *

I got our son a cheap car (78 Malibu 2 door) so I could get my truck back. Last night it was raining and he came in to ask where the wiper switch was because he didnt see it on the signal arm. I went out and pointed to the dash. I also had to show him how to turn the lights on. I never thought about all of our cars have the auto lights. Well he is used to getting out and going in the house and the lights shut off after 30 seconds. I guess I forgot to tell him he needs to push the switch back in to turn the lights off. I was going to get new front tires put on it today over lunch so I go out this morning and get in his car to come in to work and its dead. I look down and sure enough the light switch is pulled out. headbang.gif So today Momma gets to take him to school.

A young dude so uninterested in automobiles is disturbing. blink.gif
Cupomeat
As for the youngest being the channel changer, remember, that when I was the youngest boy=Channel changer, we only had 4 channels. So there wasn't much changing. AND with the largest TV we had being 25", I was never too far away.

Now, my mother has 100+ channels and can spend an hour just flipping through the channels at about 10 sec/channel.

It is said that when we get comfortable, we get weaker, but also remember that the total amount that a child learns today is truly astounding in comparison of what was taught just 30 years ago.

Everything changes, all the time...
spare time toys
[/quote]

I was not concerned about his lack of intrest in cars. He is doing well in school and playing baseball on his HS team biggrin.gif I knew he would come around in time happy11.gif He decided he wanted a car we could work on sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif and he is too big to fit in a 914. We started looking at my old super chevy mags and he likes the 78 on Malibus' so we found this one. He is starting to get into it. We went out last Fri junkyarding for parts we want to change out. We got an old Edelbrok intake and a 600 Holey we are swaping on this weekend. He has signed up for auto shop for next year at school and we plan on building up a "nice" small block to swap into it. He did swipe my pet name for the suburban for it though and now his friends call it the "Global Warmer" aktion035.gif
bembry
[quote name='spare time toys' date='Mar 26 2009, 02:30 PM' post='1150463']
[/quote]

I was not concerned about his lack of intrest in cars. He is doing well in school and playing baseball on his HS team biggrin.gif I knew he would come around in time happy11.gif He decided he wanted a car we could work on sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif and he is too big to fit in a 914. We started looking at my old super chevy mags and he likes the 78 on Malibus' so we found this one. He is starting to get into it. We went out last Fri junkyarding for parts we want to change out. We got an old Edelbrok intake and a 600 Holey we are swaping on this weekend. He has signed up for auto shop for next year at school and we plan on building up a "nice" small block to swap into it. He did swipe my pet name for the suburban for it though and now his friends call it the "Global Warmer" aktion035.gif
[/quote]

OK--that's cool. Originally it sounded like he was in the "I just put gas in it and it goes" crowd. My bad. driving.gif
Drums66

Not to mention what your fellow statesman(Governor)
Fucked up!!............Sorry Charlie. confused24.gif popcorn[1].gif
and left us all with!
you opened this can of worms!
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Mar 27 2009, 11:58 AM) *

I didn't see this post eather.

Do you guys remember the first remote control vehicle you saw? I thought..." What a time we live in" Geeze, who would have thought we would be sitting in front of a box, chatting with friends from around the world...Pretty Cool.
sixnotfour
My oldest thinks he's impressing me when he gets his emails and sends pictures and looks up phone numbers and addresses on his blackberry.

Now if he could just get a good job and pay his bills on time.

99% the norm these days.
My work just hired a 27 yr old with a degree in efficiency ?
The thing she talks about most is how good she is with her blackberry...

jmill
Talk about memories. I remember trying to tune in the channels. The rich folks had the colorized plastic sheet stuck to the screen. It was green on the bottom, clear in the middle and blue on top.

My son has little interest in cars. I'll give him some time. He's only eleven. On the bright side he reads the sports page and watches sports center every morning.
charliew
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Mar 27 2009, 01:58 PM) *

and left us all with!
you opened this can of worms!

I think you will find that Frank and Dodd and Clinton and their friends forced the lenders to give weak applicants loans they couldn't afford, to allow everyone to get homes so they could stop making and repairing public housing. I'm not worried about George, history will prove his worth, I'm worried about the next four years.
bembry
WTF with the political garbage? I thougth that was verboten here. Plenty of pollitical forums to use without adding it to a thread that wasn't even remotely political to begin with.
spare time toys
Thats why I asked for this to be removed back after the first couple of folks started to make political coments in it.
r_towle
how about you post a few pics of the chebby shitbox instead.
A malibu????

Lets see what she looks like...it might need a special hood ornament...

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.