Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New tool
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
underthetire
Fender Repair Tool
Click to view attachment

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=98793
charliew
Make sure the center opening will fit over the hub center. Eastwood has had those for years but more pricey I think.
VaccaRabite
Yup, HF Chinese copy of the Eastwood tool.

Zach
So.Cal.914
Not new but very handy.
roadster fan
QUOTE(charliew @ Mar 26 2009, 09:16 AM) *

Make sure the center opening will fit over the hub center. Eastwood has had those for years but more pricey I think.

I saw that tool awhile back, and had the same concern. I guess if they have one on hand the next time I am in there I will try and measure the center, and for 4 and 5 lug.

Jim
VaccaRabite
Baseball bats and rolling pins do the same thing. Not as elegant, I suppose, but they work.
r_towle
I guess it might work, but I doubt it will be as easy as you think.

First thing you need to do is fold over the inner lip...then you can stretch the fender.
Just use a hammer and dolly, that will take about ten or fifteen minutes.

To stretch the fender, use a scissor jack and two pieces of wood...one on the inside and one on the outside.

If all you are trying to do is roll over the fender lip on a painted car....I suspect that might do it, but I would not trust it.

Rich
VaccaRabite
Eastwoods sells it as a fender roller, not really a stretcher. It could probably do minro stretching on the lip, but at the same dangers of using a bat. Possible cracked paint, and stretched metal pulled in from other seams. Its not a replacement for hammer and dolly.

Zach
ArtechnikA
These are really designed for cars with radius wheel openings.

914's aren't, which IMO is the one huge styling difference that kept them from being readily accepted as Porsches. (Just about) every other production Porsche has radius wheel openings. (928's aren't either. They had acceptance issues in the styling department too...)
Joe Ricard
My friend has one. He does fender rolling for cars in the area. He makes 40 bucks per fender. They turn out very nice. He offered to do the white car, I whipped out the jig saw and showed him a short cut.
But if rules only allow lip rolling then this is the hot ticket to a nice looking fender.
toon1
Hey Jeff, I will split the cost with you. I'd like to do mine just a bit before the paint goes on.

Keith
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.