Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Flooding near Fargo ND--update
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
anderssj
Not sure how many have been following this, but since my brother Jeff lives up there I've been tracking this pretty closely. Checked the NPR website at lunch and saw a house that looked familiar--sure enough, it's Jeff's house in the background.
Click to view attachment
Jeff and a neighbor got a lift back in to Oxbow on this ND Guard wrecker yesterday PM so they could do some additional sand-bagging around their houses. He talked to the guy who took the picture (Scott from Getty Images), but didn't realize the picture would go "nationwide."

I got an e-mail from him a few minutes ago--water is close to the house now, but he said the basement is still dry (knock on wood). He has a sump pit in the basement, and additional pumps in the window wells. Water level has only
increased 1" since 7AM today, so the authorities are thinking that the Red may be
cresting in Oxbow right now. Keep your fingers crossed . . . .

BTW, when he built this house 18 years ago, this was above the 100-year flood plain . . . blink.gif

Fargo is a ways north; they expect it to crest there on Saturday.
Cheapsnake
Keeping an eye on the situation there and hoping for the best. Having been through one of those spring floods (not as bad), I can empathize. Send your bro our prayers.

Tom
TC 914-8
Yep, Been watching, My sister lives in Moorhead and teaches at the university. I left her a VM but have not heard back from her. Her last Email said everyone and anyone is on sand bag duty. Hope it turns out OK.

Keep us posted on any new devlopments.
watsonrx13
Good luck to everyone in that area....

-- Rob
anderssj
Got this e-mail from my brother a little while ago and thought I should share it:

[Quote]
Good morning all,

The good news is we appear to have crested in Oxbow. Water (ice) levels have dropped about 5 inches. The temps have dropped significantly and slowed the run off. We should be good as long as we don't have an ice jam down stream that would cause the water to back up to us.

Fargo-Moorhead is preparing for the possibility of 43 feet. Expectations today are for 41-42 ft, with a crest of somewhere between 41-43 ft by sometime tomorrow. The level in Fargo is currently 40.5 ft which set a new record, last record in 1887 was 40.1 ft. Not sure what level the 500 year flood was, but being this area is the former prehistoric Lake Agassiz, I'm sure it was much deeper. smile.gif

The river level in Fargo is expected to last 3-7 days so it is important that the dikes are maintained without breakdown. The low temps should help slow the rising level but extend the length of time it takes for the water to pass. The F-M area is in uncharted territory with these levels of water.

Steve--they brought in some military barrier devices used in Iraq for stopping bullets and RPGs. They consist of a cage with a fabric liner. They connect them end to end and fill them with sand. We have miles of these things in place in strategic areas that will accept their size.

Thank you for all of your concern and prayers. They are much appreciated.
[Quote]

As Jeff said, thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

Steve A-
So.Cal.914
I have been following this on CNN. What a mess. We do have members up there, hope they post soon. I hope your Bro is on the otherside of this now.
anderssj
Just got another e-mail from Jeff in Oxbow ND. He said the water has dropped almost a foot and is no longer lapping at the ring dike he built around his house piratenanner.gif

He's been spending the day riding in the front of a payloader moving pumps and hoses and delivering food and supplies around Oxbow. He'll probably head up towards Fargo later this PM.

Hope everybody else up that way has good luck too!
TC 914-8
I just got an Email from my sister, there is manditory evacuations for the folks on or close to the river, she has her bags packed and ready to go if things get worse. So far she's out of harms way for now. Shes maning the phones at the emergency center at the university.

Hope all goes well.

Tony
jcambo7
I hope the best for them all.
RickS
Bad news up there - my thoughts go out to everyone suffering through the long night. Great to hear you brother made it through unscathed and is off to help others.

Keeping my fingers crossed the crest predictions are too high.
minnesota loon
2nd 500 year flood level in the past 12 years.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.