Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT- Black cars and Kalifornia
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lou W
WTF.gif

CARB

I'm not sure if this is the place to post this, but I thought it was interesting.......
Elliot Cannon
Just some a$$hole legislator trying to make a name for him or herself. Anything to get themselves noticed.
craig downs
Yeah I heard about this this morning. You sure learn about strange things coming out of the pike these days.
Wilhelm
Maybe I can get a tax credit to chrome my entire car.
Wes V
When I read stuff like this it makes me wonder how it will effect us owners of older cars.

Kind of like back in the 70's when there was a law passed requiring retrofitting smog devices on VW's. (boy was that an f-up)

Here is what I see happening;

In order to get older cars to "reflect 20 percent solar heat", there will be a law passed that requires our cars to be clean and waxed. Any car that, "in the officers opinion", doesn't reflect the legislated amount of reflection will be towed (at the owners expense) to a junk yard, where it will be scrapped.

All primers will be outlawed due to their not being reflective. (I now have to drive about 80 miles to get outside of L.A., to purchase PPG "DP" epoxy primer) This is to prevent the owners from possibly driving the car while primered.

Bright yellow or orange cars will be issued a sticker (three of them actually) that they can attach to their car, allowing them to drive in the Diamond lane.

None of this will apply to trucks, aka SUV's. All of Michael Jackson's SUV's will be painted matt black.

Wes (I haven't had my coffee yet) Vann

Wes V
Hey wait, I've got a better idea;

How about they just simply legislate how cold you are allowed to have the interior!!

That way you could apply the law to all cars. New and old.

I can just now see an officer standing behind a bill board with a temperature gun, taking readings off the windshield while you drive by. It would be great to stop those criminals driving out through the desert to Vegas.

Wes (honestly, I'm out the door to get my much needed coffee) Vann
Wes V
(No coffee yet)

Here is a great marketing idea!

Pep Boys could sell fake frost to put on the interior surface of the car windows.

That way you could drive down the road showing how you are a "Bad Boy".

You really wouldn't have to manufacture anything, just buy a bunch of X-mas stickers.

Wes (I hate that Starbucks doesn't stay open all night) Vann
VaccaRabite
Or, you could just vote with your feet, and move the hell out of the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia.

I've been out of that hole for 20 years now, and I don't miss it at all.

Zach
dw914er
I love California geographically (you know, wine country, the beaches, mountians, etc), but the gov't and laws with it are kinda ridiculous...

RiqueMar
QUOTE(dw914er @ Mar 27 2009, 07:10 AM) *

I love California geographically (you know, wine country, the beaches, mountians, etc), but the gov't and laws with it are kinda ridiculous...

Not saying it would have a chance to pass, but I think you would have to trim a little fat off the First Amendment to get this to go.
904svo
Why not have it like you can only water on certain days of the week, you can
only run your A/C on certain days of the week.

PS I forgot no body can die now unless they paint all the hearse another color.
Katmanken
I heard that the other part of the legislature was to require ALL cars to be painted pink with rainbow racing stripes....

Ah, Kali, ya just gotta wonder if there is something in the water or if the legislators are downwind of a smoldering "medicinal" pot field .....

Ken
CliffBraun
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Mar 27 2009, 08:35 AM) *

Not saying it would have a chance to pass, but I think you would have to trim a little fat off the First Amendment to get this to go.

Unfortunately it's a CARB thing, as I recall, so it just has to be approved by the 12(or whatever) members of that board.
horizontally-opposed
I dunno....

Sometimes, I think we look at a lot of things as "rights" that, on occasion, mean taking away the rights of others. Sure, banning black cars may be off the deep end, but there are other four-wheeled choice rights I wouldn't mind seeing banned -- like (ridiculously) jacked up 4x4s that can no longer steer or stop safely, and will go over whatever they hit in the event of an accident. Rubicon Jeeps? Fine. Super chromy F350s you need a ladder to climb into? I'm not so sure. And don't get me started on Harleys with straight pipes...

As for future car colors, some of the reader comments on thetruthaboutcars.com make a lot of sense to me. Interior color needs to be considered, just as glass does. The ramifications need to be considered, too. Requiring glass shops to keep records is rediculous. But, if applying a new standard would have a real, measurable impact on emissions, I might be all for it.

Don't get me wrong, I love a black car when it's good, but I love the idea of leaving my kids (and I don't even have any yet....) a better California more than I love black cars. Especially black NEW cars. Then again, I do not want to convey the idea that I think Kalifornia will legislate this intelligently. Just look at the smog laws we have now. They miss so many gross polluters it's silly -- and have given rise to a whole cottage industry of crooks, as well as an annoying every two-years tax. And the pollution caused by almost all of the State's vehicle fleet having to go to get tested every two years. What was that about roadside testing stations that could recognize serious polluters and send a notice to the owner -- and recognize when a car is too old to be required to comply? Oh yeah, that was a pretty good idea (way better than speed cameras!) -- and it disappeared. Wonder how much of CARB and its friends would have been impacted.

The scary thing for we 914 folk is the idea that a day may come when we can drive our cars, but the pollution tax attached to them will make doing so prohibitive. The question will be would such a tax be fair? The answer, I'm afraid, might be that it would be, given that we are spewing out all kinds of toxins compared to the guy enjoying his Lotus Elise -- toxins that everybody has to breathe.

I sure hope it doesn't go that way, but I can tell you that I felt VERY guilty driving a Ruf CTR around. It ran so rich that I had to hold my breath at stoplights to keep from getting sick. I guess that was the only way Ruf knew how to make 500 hp in a streetable air-cooled engine and make it live back in 1988. But I could almost see the vegetation along PCH turn brown and then purple as I drove up the coast. I don't feel anywhere near that guilty when driving my 1973 914 with FI, but I know I'm not running as clean as I can in my other cars...

pete
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Mar 27 2009, 06:09 AM) *

Or, you could just vote with your feet, and move the hell out of the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia.

I've been out of that hole for 20 years now, and I don't miss it at all.

Zach

I moved to California from that hole Pa 53 years ago. I don't miss it at all.
ConeDodger
911's through '89 would be exempt and could be any color in the rainbow. The AC doesn't work anyway! lol-2.gif

I moved to California from Minnesota 15 years ago. While there are many fine things about Minnesota, most notably the people, I don't regret moving to California for a minute. I voted with my feet.
MBowman325
Rob... You bring up something I hadn't thought of....

Could you still get your Jet Black car if it didn't come with AC? Then the proposal as written wouldn't apply.

Note: It doesn't say that black cars will be prohibited, but that there's not a pigment "yet" that can do what they want it do. The records keeping I think it a bit silly... But *could* prevent fraud. "Sure, this is laminated glass with a reflectivity of 47!" (Not quite the same as the argument dealing with guns I don't think)

I'd be concerned about other issues - such widespread use of paint - is it more "dangerous" / less "efficient" than currently used product? Don't want a repeat of the corn ethanol deal.
MBowman325
One other thing... Wonder if you could still get flames painted on the car....

biggrin.gif
Drums66
QUOTE(Wilhelm @ Mar 27 2009, 12:38 AM) *

Maybe I can get a tax credit to chrome my entire car.

Yes.......or maybe stainless steel with cola on top shades.gif
grantsfo
Leave it to California to lead the way on cool paint. Cool man! People said the same thing when California led the way on tight smog regulations. Industry adapted. However I dont know what the liberal Elite in LA will do. They all drive black Mercedes and BMW down there. I'm sure that it will create a new Black reflective paint technology that high end car makers will sell as a $2000 option.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/cc/cool-paints/cool-paints.htm
PeeGreen 914
They should actually add a tax for male drivers. As we all know women like more heat than we men do and therefore don't use as mush AC as we do. confused24.gif chair.gif

It would appear these people don't watch Myth busters. dry.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Mar 27 2009, 08:52 AM) *

And don't get me started on Harleys with straight pipes...

ar15.gif
LarryR
I hope it passes happy11.gif that would make my black 72 more valuable bootyshake.gif
charliew
I had a 2000 harley truck. My friend the welder said it would be hotter than hell with the black leather interior. He had a 2000 white crewcab ford with a sunroof with a tan leather interior. One day in the summer I took my temerature gun to work and we went outside at noon and I shot the backs of the seats and the seat bottoms. My harley truck was right beside his and my seats were the same temperature as his. It was 99 degrees outside and my seat back was 104 and the seat bottom was 101. His seat back was 103 and the bottom was 102. not enough to matter. I did have both the windows down about 1 inch and he only had the driver window down. about 1 inch.
dlestep
...fruits, nuts and flakes, the Granola state.

I COMBAT THE HARLEYs WITH STRAIGHT PIPES WITH MY 914 WITH STRAIGHT PIPES........

When my 914 is complete, I am going down the street, on a Saturday morning at about 0830 hrs and rev my baby with the pipes pointed at his house.

...and by the way I am proud of my carbon foot print which the size of Rhode Island. The women look at the size of my carbon foot print and faint....
LarryR
QUOTE(Wes V @ Mar 27 2009, 04:49 AM) *

Hey wait, I've got a better idea;

How about they just simply legislate how cold you are allowed to have the interior!!

That way you could apply the law to all cars. New and old.

I can just now see an officer standing behind a bill board with a temperature gun, taking readings off the windshield while you drive by. It would be great to stop those criminals driving out through the desert to Vegas.

Wes (honestly, I'm out the door to get my much needed coffee) Vann

I have no A/C in any of my old cars so who cares what color it is beerchug.gif
craig downs
Our black cars are helping the fight against global warming by absorbing heat.
jcambo7
Seriuosly... WTF.gif This crap is getting annoying. People are so dumb. chair.gif headbang.gif ar15.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Mar 27 2009, 09:35 AM) *

Well hell, everyone seems to be tramping on the Constituition right now - why should Kallyphornia be any different? Besides, they're on the forefront of saving this country's economy, right? Or am is missing something, like my frontal lobes?
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

What the F_ck doesn't ARNOLD know that ,( GOD & HENERY FORD said" The

only color cars should be painted is Black"). So that ends that!!!!!

Dave slap.gif

70Sixter
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Mar 27 2009, 02:34 PM) *

I'm sure that it will create a new Black reflective paint technology that high end car makers will sell as a $2000 option.
http://www.arb.ca.gov/cc/cool-paints/cool-paints.htm

Just been catching up from Tax Fever. I read the posts but not all the CARB crap.

There is more radiation from the sun than the human eye can detect. Some of these are in the IR (infra-red) part of the spectrum. And yes some IR radiation is more readily absorbed as heat than visible light.

So cooler paints that absorb less IR are already be looked by manufacturers as a way to put less strain on the A/C and for bragging rights to greeny-weinies. Not sure it will cost $2k or not, but it is probably coming. And they will likely visually look very much the same as current colors. Even black.

So CARB might be in psuedo-science. Or just want to mandate more laws to help our US automakers go bankrupt so Toyota and Honda will have less competition.

End of rant. beer.gif
Slider
Im glad im out of CA its bad there compared to what it used to be. some areas are nice but on the whole its got bad.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.