Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Wheel Bearings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pjhaun
How often should a daily driver have its front wheel bearings re-packed?

Thank You!!!!
Phillip J. Haun
Oak Harbor, WA.
SGB
I think every threeor four years should be OK
VaccaRabite
My old VW had 127K miles and nevr had the wheel bearings repacked.
My current subaru has 120K miles and has never had a wheel bearing re-packed.

If you take the hubs off, i'd put grease in there. Otherwise, I'd probably not worry about it.

Zach
underthetire
IMO, if they get loose at all, re-pack and set. Very easy to do. Had a pontiac GTO lock up a front wheel bearing with no warning. That was not good.
MBowman325
There're bearings on the front wheels? smile.gif

On my GMs and my old Honda, I'd do it every few oil changes if I had time, or every other brake change when I thought about it and had time, or if I was really really bored and had time. Equated to be about twice a year on average per car.

Had been planning to look at that when I change the rear springs next week on the 914.
underthetire
oh, and by the way, if you call kragens for seals, tell them 1.7 engine. for some strange reason if you tell them 2.0, they don't have them.
helios
I'd check for play at each oil change. If there is play, go ahead pull it apart, clean and repack. I just did this with my Mustang in preparation for this weekends track day. If they get to the point of being shot, your local NAPA will probably have them on the shelf. The guy I dealt with recognized the part # being the same as a Rabbit bearing. So it seems like VW may have used the front bearings from the 914 and used them on the rear of the rabbit......of which they made millions. Score! I replaced inners, outers and new inner grease seals for about $60 last year.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.