Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Story I Had to Share
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Todd Enlund
Today I went to the homebrew supply store. The guy that works there is a well-known ultracrepidarian among the homebrew community. I mentioned that I have not brewed in a while because my 1971 Porsche 914 had been in the garage. He tells me that he had something similar, a 1970 "porsh" 914-6. The portholes leaked a lot. It was really fast with 175 horsepower, though.

So I say "that's a lot more than the stock 2.0 made"

He tells me that it was a 3.0, they way they sold them in Germany. It said "autobahn" on the side. Had triple Stromberg injectors on the pancake six.

I said "ok" and left. I see this guy at least once a month at the homebrew club meetings.
sixnotfour
Id stay away from his Home Brew. beer.gif

Todd Enlund
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 27 2009, 04:51 PM) *

Id stay away from his Home Brew. beer.gif

Most of us do.
charliew
Does it not interest you to see what the heck he has? Couldn't he actually have a neat car even though it seems he has destroyed his memory?
Rav914
It's probably nothing. Just an original GT.
ssstikircr
popcorn[1].gif
Try n get some pics if you can.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(charliew @ Mar 28 2009, 10:45 AM) *

Does it not interest you to see what the heck he has? Couldn't he actually have a neat car even though it seems he has destroyed his memory?

He's got nothing. He "had" this car. He's a pathological liar. I just thought it was funny that he chose to one-up me on my 914... with his 1970 Euro 3.0 175hp Stromberg injected porthole equipped 914-6 with factory "Autobahn" script on the side.

I even allowed him an out... I mentioned "wow, that's a long way from stock"... and he insisted that it was how they were sold in Germany (obviously because Germany is so exotic and far away, I would have no idea).

That's why it's pathological... he'll go toe to toe on something that he knows very little about, with someone who obviously knows what they are talking about. Not just this... we have several professional brewers in our homebrew club, and this guy will argue with them... obviously he knows more than a professional brewer.
PeeGreen 914
I love those people. Especially when you can pick a random battle with them and just through out BS.
Tom
Too bad he doesn't still have that one off car, it would be priceless. Have some fun with him about how much it would be worth today. Hee, hee!
Tom
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Tom @ Mar 28 2009, 01:24 PM) *

Too bad he doesn't still have that one off car, it would be priceless. Have some fun with him about how much it would be worth today. Hee, hee!
Tom

That's the thing... he says it was a stock German version, just like every other 914 sold in Germany. He's pathological... he has an altered sense of reality.
porschecb
My 75 1.8 will go a 150 mph cause my spedo says so biggrin.gif drunk.gif blink.gif
dbgriffith75
I agree with Tom here- mess with him on how priceless it would be now. Throw him a curve and say "I'd bet it's worth close to half a million today!" happy11.gif

It's not a 914, but I get the same thing with my dog- a Merlequin great dane. Seems almost every time I've got him out for a walk, there's at least somebody that's positive he's not a great dane. He's either a greyhound or a dalmation- I even once had somebody argue with me till we both were blue in the face that he was a whippet! It's like I'm no expert on great danes, but I'm pretty sure I know what kind of dog I paid for, y'know?

Tender at 6 months
Click to view attachment
PeeGreen 914
Someone thought that was a whippet? Must not have very good vision. Even the people that think he is a grey hound must be a little off huh.gif
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(dbgriffith75 @ Mar 28 2009, 03:14 PM) *

I agree with Tom here- mess with him on how priceless it would be now. Throw him a curve and say "I'd bet it's worth close to half a million today!" happy11.gif

It's not a 914, but I get the same thing with my dog- a Merlequin great dane. Seems almost every time I've got him out for a walk, there's at least somebody that's positive he's not a great dane. He's either a greyhound or a dalmation- I even once had somebody argue with me till we both were blue in the face that he was a whippet! It's like I'm no expert on great danes, but I'm pretty sure I know what kind of dog I paid for, y'know?

Tender at 6 months
Click to view attachment

With that face? It must have come from the Dane factory with custom grey-whippet parts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.