Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starting A/C project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drive-ability
As stated I am starting to look at what I need to do to build an A/C system for my 914.
Since my power steering seems to be working great I can move on to the next thing on the list.. I am using a "V" belt system and really don't want to change it over, besides the cost may be more than I want to spend. If someone knows a cheaper way to add a serpentine system let me know.. (I have a first generation SBC).
My thought was to decide on a compressor and use the condenser, evaporator, dryer which go's with system..
I've looked into an electric compressor but I have enough amperage blasting through my car already and I don't know what voltage thy run on.. I may switch over to a electric water pump to free up space but I 'm not sure.
suggestions welcome !!!
charliew
I am going to try and use the original under dash unit that came dealer installed on the 914 but I am using a suby so the compressor is not a problem. I might have to change the expansion valve to work with the 134a. You might check with vintage air or the other hot rod ac shops for the compressor mounting and a sanden v belt compressor. The condensor will probably need to be a newer aluminum one the same size as the radiator you are using. The fans will need to come on when the ac is on. They claim the old rubber lines need to be swapped out as the 134a needs a barrier type rubber hose. I guess I will use a combination of the old connectors at the u/d unit and the later fittings for the rest of the parts.

The switch to a serpentine belt might get too close to the firewall. A 97 sb chev truck is serpentine and a vortec headed motor. I put a 350 ramjet in a 86 k5 blazer with headers and it was a big job using the vortec heads from the ramjet and brackets from the 86 305 sbc.

There are expensive options for belt drives for the sbc, I think I saw one from march. I don't know if any of them are close enough to the motor.

I guess you are running a alt from a v belt maybe you can go from there to the ac compressor although getting a good wrap on the ac pulley will be a real challenge. Maybe there's some room between the valve cover and the carb or maybe a compressor can run backwards and you could make a small box in the lower firewall to allow it to fit in front of the motor.

I talked to a guy that did a electric s10 in about 89 and he sad he had ac but I didn't think to ask how.

V8 Archie has been putting sbc's in fieros since 84, he may have a solution also. I know he runs the water pump off of a extended shaft in the rear wheel well. I'm not sure about a compressor.
computers4kids
I used the stock DPD evaporator, Sanden 508 vbelt compressor and the brackets are mocked to fit the compressor and alternator on the passenger side and mechanical water pump on the drivers.

Here's a pic of my engine before I installed it and the AC brackets on a mock engine. I thought about the electric waterpump, but they're pretty pricy for a good one...then there is the issue of the huge voltage draw between the fans and the pump.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
charliew
The top picture appears to have the grooves cut in the harmonic balancer to get the belts closer to the motor. I do like the belts pulling on opposites sides of the crank. That should make equal loads on the front mainbearing.

my experience with vbelts is that when they are long between the pulleys they vibrate more and make a vibration that can be felt in the car. Also it may be the best it can be but there is not much wrap on the alt. puley.
computers4kids
Here's a pic that my system is modeled after, except mine is reversed...this one has the alt & compressor on the driver's side.
IPB Image
charliew
I like that setup the alt should work great and the large diameter of both the compressor and the crank should get plenty of drive friction to support the alt.
drive-ability
I see some nice looking shots of your systems, I think I can run a double grove compressor which also drives the alternator. I'll likely run the condenser up front, but could run it in back to keep the cooling system unaffected.. I'm not sure how well that will work but my under hood temps are real low because my trunk is gone and my mufflers are so big they stay relatively cool. I'll have to look into this more..
marks914
I am probably going to take this on as well in the next few months. I was planning on using the desert hybrid setup (in the above post) You can run it on the renegade setup, just flip the brackets around. I am going to use the small vintage air slimline underdash unit. Trying to keep it simple.

Mark
Tom_T
QUOTE(drive-ability @ Mar 27 2009, 06:26 PM) *

As stated I am starting to look at what I need to do to build an A/C system for my 914.
Since my power steering seems to be working great I can move on to the next thing on the list.. I am using a "V" belt system and really don't want to change it over, besides the cost may be more than I want to spend. If someone knows a cheaper way to add a serpentine system let me know.. (I have a first generation SBC).
My thought was to decide on a compressor and use the condenser, evaporator, dryer which go's with system..
I've looked into an electric compressor but I have enough amperage blasting through my car already and I don't know what voltage thy run on.. I may switch over to a electric water pump to free up space but I 'm not sure.
suggestions welcome !!!

...where are you in OC? ...looks like pic in Mile Square?
Tom
///////
drive-ability
That picture was taken in Irvine, we sold our condo in Irvine and now live in a house in Lake Forest... I had to drive to that park to tune my engine because my association / neighbor was a nightmare ar15.gif
drive-ability
I finally decided to get moving and installed the compressor. Its harder to install the unit with the engine in the car but at least I know it will fit. I used the vacant fuel pump mounting location to attach my lower mount. Fits good and just need to install an upper support. I'm going to use a belt tensioner / idler pulley, That will keep things tight. rolleyes.gif

IPB Image
computers4kids
I presume the upper bracket will be bolting to the head. I've been waiting till winter to install my setup because I didn't thing there was enough room to get to those bolts. Did you find otherwise? I have a first generation as well.
drive-ability
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Aug 22 2009, 07:55 AM) *

I presume the upper bracket will be bolting to the head. I've been waiting till winter to install my setup because I didn't thing there was enough room to get to those bolts. Did you find otherwise? I have a first generation as well.

Here is another with the bracket installed, needs to have more holding it up. I just
trying a few things on for size. The bracket wasn't hard to install, little tight but not bad. Things are going to take time, can't have the thing brake on my way to Washington State. I'm likely going there as soon as I have this bracket system worked out. I need to get some door bars and tie in the rear strut mounts in to stiffen it up more.

IPB Image
JazonJJordan
drooley.gif Wow that fits nicely; no problem. Can't beat A/C when it's needed, full size compressor to boot!
QUOTE(drive-ability @ Aug 22 2009, 09:55 AM) *

I finally decided to get moving and installed the compressor. Its harder to install the unit with the engine in the car but at least I know it will fit. I used the vacant fuel pump mounting location to attach my lower mount. Fits good and just need to install an upper support. I'm going to use a belt tensioner / idler pulley, That will keep things tight. rolleyes.gif

IPB Image

ClayPerrine
These are some nicely creative compressor mounts for the SBC conversions.

I can't help you with that part, but it seems you have it handled. What I can provide is help with the Condenser/Evaporator parts.

The DPD system will work fine with 134a without switching the expansion valve. The problem is getting enough condenser area for the conversion. I setup the stock DPD AC with a small rotary compressor on Betty's car, and it was adequite, but not really cold. The head pressures were just too high with a stock DPD condenser. So I took the condenser housing apart, and replaced the little 4 inch fan with a 10 inch radiator fan. That helped, but it still didn't do the trick.

So I added a secondary condenser on the underside of the engine lid. The idea, and the condenser, came from a 911 SC. It was truly bolt on, as all it needed was mounting brackets, and a hose. The fittings on the 911 SC condenser were the exact same size as the high side fitting on the compressor. I also added a 10 inch fan to the engine compartment condenser, and now I get middle 40 degree vent temps.

Bottom line here is you need to up the condenser size from the stock condenser. If I were you, I would get the biggest one you can fit in front of the radiator, and get a modern aluminum one to boot.

Good luck.. I am following this thread.

drive-ability
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 22 2009, 05:01 PM) *

These are some nicely creative compressor mounts for the SBC conversions.

I can't help you with that part, but it seems you have it handled. What I can provide is help with the Condenser/Evaporator parts.

The DPD system will work fine with 134a without switching the expansion valve. The problem is getting enough condenser area for the conversion. I setup the stock DPD AC with a small rotary compressor on Betty's car, and it was adequite, but not really cold. The head pressures were just too high with a stock DPD condenser. So I took the condenser housing apart, and replaced the little 4 inch fan with a 10 inch radiator fan. That helped, but it still didn't do the trick.

So I added a secondary condenser on the underside of the engine lid. The idea, and the condenser, came from a 911 SC. It was truly bolt on, as all it needed was mounting brackets, and a hose. The fittings on the 911 SC condenser were the exact same size as the high side fitting on the compressor. I also added a 10 inch fan to the engine compartment condenser, and now I get middle 40 degree vent temps.

Bottom line here is you need to up the condenser size from the stock condenser. If I were you, I would get the biggest one you can fit in front of the radiator, and get a modern aluminum one to boot.

Good luck.. I am following this thread.

Thank You for your input, I am going to build a system one peace at a time. My radiator is 27 X 17, I hope that's big enough. I understand what your saying, we have to shed the heat. I have some powerful cooling fans and a 180 amp alternator. I also plain to use a pressure cycle switch like on most G.M cars. I really like the idea of having a good working AC system.
drive-ability
The AC is coming along well, I used the fuel pump as an attaching location and linked it to the engine mount too keep it happy. The alternator is attached to the ac compressor above with another bracket. Ran the engine and they spin true. The lower bracket is made of some thick steel plate and bar stock attached with grade 8 nuts and bolts. Tight working area but that's the nature of things.

IPB Image
drive-ability
So here is my evaporator and fan unit, came out of a Toyota van rear A/C unit. Frightfully it fit good. God knows there's been little R&D. It looks like I can fit the lower vent unit and the center console, what luck !!!! Hey I may have A/C soon, shoot I'll need to roll up the windows. Hope they work av-943.gif

IPB Image
computers4kids
Looks great. Looks like your on your way to some cool air! Very intersting mod using the toyota evaporator. I'll be looking forward to seeing how it works for you. Are you going to vent the cold air into the fresh air vents?

I've been working on my AC as well, although I pulled my motor...had to pull the transmission anyway for an H gear swap.

How are you going to run your lines to the condensor? I still have to find a condensor and buy some custom lines.

Here's a pic of my setup.
drive-ability
I have the basic A/C system up and running, here is a shot of the condenser and the accumulator along with my electric power steering pump. Haven't set up the vents as yet but will use the factory ones and add 2 to the center at the console. I have a lot more to do but its making 40 degree air at idle on high blower with outside temp around 100 degrees. I'm sure I'm going to have to add a pressure cycling switch because it will freeze up the evaporator, had to remove some R-134 to keep that from happening now.

IPB Image
computers4kids
You've made quite a bit of progress on your AC unit. What kind of readings do you have on your suction and discharge ports? Also, how much 134 did it take to fill your system?

Keep the pics coming...thanks.
drive-ability
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Sep 21 2009, 07:22 AM) *

You've made quite a bit of progress on your AC unit. What kind of readings do you have on your suction and discharge ports? Also, how much 134 did it take to fill your system?

Keep the pics coming...thanks.

I did look at the pressures and they were 230-260 high side & 20-30 low side. I used two 12 oz cans of R-134. The numbers were in my garage at about 100 degrees. At that time I was only using an expansion valve and nothing else, since I have installed a temperature clutch cycling switch which works much better. The unit is adjustable and minimizes the compressor on time.

I still need to plum the vents, now it dumps out directly in front of the shifter. smile.gif

drive-ability
IPB Image

Things are working now, I have to get a fan speed switch and wire it to the resistor pack. I have the fan on medium as of now.. Its hot here in So Ca now, so this week should be a good time to test things out. biggrin.gif I will likely just run the air out of a center combo vent but could plum to the outer factory locations with a little more work. Looks like I will have to pass into the trunk area from the center of the dash above the evaproator then wrap around to the outer vents. smash.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.