Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 912 motor in a 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rav914
Bored at work today. Just wondering if this has been done before. I can think of a few fitment issues of putting a 616/3X motor in a 914. I'm sure most of those issues are well within the skill levels of members here. It would be a neat modification. A play off of Porsche #1.

Two custom made items would be headers/exhaust and engine mount bar.

idea.gif
sixnotfour
I thought you were refering to this 912 engine;
912 4500 12-cyl tävlingsmotor för typ 917 Porsche: 4500cc 12-cyl. Race-engine for type 917
Rav914
No....that may be a bit excessive. You might need a chassis kit to strengthen things a bit. And a sizeable trust fund.
r_towle
It would actually be pretty simple.
The engine bar would probably be the hardest part.
Header can be the same as the 356/912 4-1 merged header...just get a longer pipe to get it out the back...

Tin would be fairly simple also...just use stock 356/912 tin and add extenders to match the 914 tub.

Considering the lack of power and lack of performance...when you compare the motor to a type 4...I would never do it.
Hell the main bearings are getting to b e around 6-800 dollars just to do them...to much money for to little performance in my book.

Rich
effutuo101
didn't the 912 E have a type IV motor?
Rav914
Thanks Rich. How about this:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/forum/sho...ead.php?t=23715

Did a search on the ESR. Pretty cool motor.

ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Rav914 @ Mar 28 2009, 12:13 PM) *

idea.gif

I've got you covered on the exhaust issue! idea.gif
Tangerine 912 Exhaust
r_towle
beetle motor.

If you start with a 912...that motor you are looking at...in a 356 or 912...puts out maybe 160hp and cost about 15k.
Once again...to much money for to little performance.

Think what you would get for 15k from Jake...delivered.
And it would be a piece of cake to bolt into a 914.

I would do it to a 356 or a 912, but I would not do it to a 914..

But...a throw away beetle motor that puts out 180-250hp....costs 2-3k...that would be fun,,,till it blows up.

Rich
r_towle
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Mar 28 2009, 01:26 PM) *

idea.gif

Tangerine 912 Exhaust

you would have the header...yes.
But putting the motor mid engine would require more pipe after the collector..
Like I said..not a big deal really.

Rich
Cap'n Krusty
A 36 HP bottom end with hundred horsepower heads in a car 1.5 times the weight the engine was designed for. Makes sense to me. Oh, I almost forgot. Generally about $8-10K to overhaul, if there's nothing really broken. The Cap'n
Jeffs9146
Header can be the same as the 356/912 4-1 merged header...just get a longer pipe to get it out the back...

Would the exaust fit flipped backwards for the 914?? confused24.gif
sixnotfour
QUOTE(Rav914 @ Mar 28 2009, 10:24 AM) *

Now your thinking
Derek Seymour
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 28 2009, 12:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Rav914 @ Mar 28 2009, 10:24 AM) *

Now your thinking

I used to have a 912 and always thought that a Polo motor in a well set up 912 would stomp the 911R guys on the track.. but the cost is just way to high. Sure if you have tons of $$$, already have a track day 911 or 914-6, and just want something different it's perfect. But not for the average track day Porschephile.

But if I ever win the lottery.... oh yeah!!!! Add a turbo to it.... fun fun fun!
driving.gif aktion035.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 28 2009, 01:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Mar 28 2009, 01:26 PM) *

idea.gif

Tangerine 912 Exhaust

you would have the header...yes.
But putting the motor mid engine would require more pipe after the collector..
Like I said..not a big deal really.

Rich

The whole idea of putting a 912 engine into a 914 is kind of moot anyway.
But I have no trouble configuring one of my systems for rear or mid-engine application. No more pipe required, just a different layout.
r_towle
Chris that pic in your signature looks like a very unhappy sandwich.

Rich
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 28 2009, 08:00 PM) *

Chris that pic in your signature looks like a very unhappy sandwich.

Rich

Yep,
It was at the start of a race at LRP, at the end of the front straight.
The spec wrecker locked up all 4 wheels and hit me after using the grass to pass me.
The rabbit driver thought he could turn into the corner without consideration for the fact I was next to him and unable to steer. I ended up in the pits at the end of the lap with tires rubbing both rear fenders and a bent steering arm on the right side.
smash.gif
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 28 2009, 10:50 AM) *

A 36 HP bottom end with hundred horsepower heads in a car 1.5 times the weight the engine was designed for. Makes sense to me. Oh, I almost forgot. Generally about $8-10K to overhaul, if there's nothing really broken. The Cap'n

I am totally in agreement with the Cap'n on this one... The 616 doesn't even have cam bearings!

You'll be going absolutely backward in every regard if this is done... Thats the reason why the Type 4 conversion into the 912 is so popular these days! Its cheaper to build, more powerful and lasts just as long. The TIV makes an enormous amount of torque compared to a 616, in fact you'll have to modify a 616 greatly (1720 kit at minimum) to even equal the stock torque output of a 2.0 TIV engine in bone stock form.

I build 356/912 engines and won't touch a stock one for less than 10K... The damn main bearings are almost 500 bucks per set!

Bild the engine you have the proper way and spend whats required and you'll be way ahead.
Rav914
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 29 2009, 07:19 AM) *

I am totally in agreement with the Cap'n on this one... The 616 doesn't even have cam bearings!

You'll be going absolutely backward in every regard if this is done... Thats the reason why the Type 4 conversion into the 912 is so popular these days! Its cheaper to build, more powerful and lasts just as long. The TIV makes an enormous amount of torque compared to a 616, in fact you'll have to modify a 616 greatly (1720 kit at minimum) to even equal the stock torque output of a 2.0 TIV engine in bone stock form.

I build 356/912 engines and won't touch a stock one for less than 10K... The damn main bearings are almost 500 bucks per set!

Bild the engine you have the proper way and spend whats required and you'll be way ahead.

Oh I'm not doing this....I was just bored at work and was wondering if it had been done before. Clearly the reasons why not have been carefully presented here.

616 bearings is one reason I sold my 912's - they're extinct engines. Almost.

Have a great weekend. I'm heading home to work on the 914.
bye1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.