Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: new guy with body work ?'s
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
evangojason
hey, great site you guys got here. A few quick ?'s. I got a 75 914 awhile back, ran when i bought it home but oil cooler was leakin so i pulled the motor (1.8 carb) and started tering it down. Now unsure weather it will go back in or if I will go with the subi swap. But anyways to the ?'s. First the car was origanaly green and had a bad THICK yellow paint put over it that is flaking off. To do a fairly good paint job should i take it down to bare metal? Not going to be a show car just want it to look nice. Next the hood and the bracing under it has maybe 1/4 to 3/8ths separation between it causing the hood to flex very easy. I seen people squirt foam in between. Is that the correct way to do it?
jmmotorsports
QUOTE(evangojason @ Mar 28 2009, 01:04 PM) *

hey, great site you guys got here. A few quick ?'s. I got a 75 914 awhile back, ran when i bought it home but oil cooler was leakin so i pulled the motor (1.8 carb) and started tering it down. Now unsure weather it will go back in or if I will go with the subi swap. But anyways to the ?'s. First the car was origanaly green and had a bad THICK yellow paint put over it that is flaking off. To do a fairly good paint job should i take it down to bare metal? Not going to be a show car just want it to look nice. Next the hood and the bracing under it has maybe 1/4 to 3/8ths separation between it causing the hood to flex very easy. I seen people squirt foam in between. Is that the correct way to do it?

It would be best to take it to bare metal. Try to find a good used hood,I doubt you will ever get yours to fit right if the skin has seperated from the inner bracing.

Jerry
evangojason
QUOTE(jmmotorsports @ Mar 28 2009, 01:21 PM) *

It would be best to take it to bare metal. Try to find a good used hood,I doubt you will ever get yours to fit right if the skin has seperated from the inner bracing.

Jerry

It seems straight, fits on the car good no damage to it. I'll get a piture up, not sure if anyones done work on it or not.
evangojason
QUOTE(evangojason @ Mar 28 2009, 02:31 PM) *

QUOTE(jmmotorsports @ Mar 28 2009, 01:21 PM) *

Jerry

It seems straight, fits on the car good no damage to it. I'll get a piture up, not sure if anyones done work on it or not.

If I push down on it i can get it to touch the hood skin. Can I just glue it or weld it?
charliew
If you can get it clean and it's not seperated from rusting you can get structural adhesive at a auto paint store. You probably won't like the price after you get the adhesive and the applicator though.
evangojason
QUOTE(charliew @ Mar 28 2009, 08:39 PM) *

If you can get it clean and it's not seperated from rusting you can get structural adhesive at a auto paint store. You probably won't like the price after you get the adhesive and the applicator though.

There is no rust what so ever. It has nice clean paint under it. Like how much are we talking? cheaper then a new hood? Probably end up using in more places and other projects
jcambo7
welcome.png This is the best place for you to be at when it comes to 914's. Your questions can be answered by many people here and if they can't they will at least point you in the right direction as to where your answer is. aktion035.gif
evangojason
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Mar 28 2009, 10:08 PM) *

welcome.png This is the best place for you to be at when it comes to 914's. Your questions can be answered by many people here and if they can't they will at least point you in the right direction as to where your answer is. aktion035.gif

It is a great place. So many of my ?'s have already been answered by searching the forums. Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.