Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie Welder (OT)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ericv1

About two months ago I was cleaning out behind the rockers and I found a hole in the long. Today I purchased a Hobart 140 welder w/mig setup. I'm ready to weld and have read the manual twice. What gauge metal should I be practicing with before I make the repairs? In all practicality, I don't plan on making the repairs for a couple of weeks but, I would like to practice to gain some consistency and knowledge of the machine. Thanks in advance for your help. Eric biggrin.gif
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Ericv1 @ Mar 28 2009, 03:29 PM) *

About two months ago I was cleaning out behind the rockers and I found a hole in the long. Today I purchased a Hobart 140 welder w/mig setup. I'm ready to weld and have read the manual twice. What gauge metal should I be practicing with before I make the repairs? In all practicality, I don't plan on making the repairs for a couple of weeks but, I would like to practice to gain some consistency and knowledge of the machine. Thanks in advance for your help. Eric biggrin.gif

I bought a sheet of 18ga for practice... I think most of the 914 is a metric equivalent of 17ga?
VaccaRabite
I used either 16 or 18 when making repairs. 18 is way easier to cut. smile.gif

Mash a piece of copper pipe flat, and practice welding with the copper behind your seam. It will pull the heat out of the panel, and help prevent blow through. Especially in the beginning, don't be afraid of lap welds, especially on things that will be covered up anyhow. They are way easier then butt welds, and that makes them easier to make strong.

Zach
r_towle
The car is made mostly from 19 gauge...but you cant buy that in America.
So, to practice, use 20 gauge flat on a metal bench or on the concrete floor and learn how to write your name without blowing through.

You want a weld that looks like caulking...nice consistant thickness.
Just start with 3/4 inch lines.

Rich
Ericv1
Thanks for the advice, I can't wait to get started. Eric
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.